Mike Tyson

4 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

I'm perfectly aware of how he's ranked, I saw him recently ranked 72nd of all time.  I'm talking about him at his best not his entire career, he's much higher regarded then.  1985-89 he would have owned any bocer in history.

47D827CF-7A57-4B87-9905-8AEF5B3A000D.jpeg.a1461dff6641bb3cffe9f501f6f5ffc5.jpeg

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Worktheshaft said:

Mike Tyson threw his wife down the stairs but there's nothing funny about that.

No matter how many times you say

So Tyson has admitted that he has done 7 things worse than rape but Pep continues to back him as an upstanding member of the community?

Aye, but he puts his points across so well it’s difficult to disagree with him

7 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

I'm perfectly aware of how he's ranked, I saw him recently ranked 72nd of all time.  I'm talking about him at his best not his entire career, he's much higher regarded then.  1985-89 he would have owned any bocer in history.

He wouldn't have laid a glove on Ali that fought Cleveland Williams or Foreman that utterly destroyed Frazier at his peak.

8 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Heavyweight or any division. Be specific.

9 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Ah, so we're now into 1985-1989 territory. 37 fights in that period.

OK,

He outweighed his opponents in 25 fights in that timeframe. He was outweighed 12 times

So he was heavier in 53.5% of his career fights but in the 85-89 period it was 67.5%

And we have to reduce the 38lbs to 35lbs now. And a 20+ lbs difference only happened twice in that period

So, in specifically picking out 1985 to 1989, you've further rubbished your 40lbs claim.

Fabulous

24 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

1985-89 he would have owned any bocer in history.

Let's have a look at who Tyson fought during that period in his career

Trevor Berbick - not the most respected heavyweight champion in history

Bonecrusher Smith - Decent fighter, held a title for one fight, best win first round KO over Tim Witherspoon and was first man to beat Frank Bruno.

Pinklon Thomas - Best wins against the likes of Witherspoon and Mike Weaver.  A decent fighter but not a top level.

Tony Tucker - A good win at the time against a champion who managed to beat Buster Douglas.  Again, his subsequent record maybe gives a better idea of what sort of fighter he was - OK.

Tyrell Biggs - Good amateur but not a pro.  Served up to Tyson, who hammered him, he never had a really good win as a pro.

Larry Holmes - Holmes was way past his peak when he fought Tyson.

Tony Tubbs - Semi decent record going into the fight but lost to all the top level guys he fought.

Michael Spinks - Tyson's best win - Spinks was a top light-heavyweight and moved up beating an old Holmes and a couple of other contenders but Tyson devastated him.  It was a decisive, mean victory but came against a guy you'd expect a dominant heavyweight champion to beat.

Frank Bruno - God bless Frank, he was a trier but he wasn't at the top level.  Gave it a go though.

Carl Williams - Sparked in a round, as you'd expect.  

For me, that isn't a world defining legacy.  His best wins were against a light-heavy moving up and an over the hill Holmes.  Tyson, for all his spectacular punching power, never beat an all time great heavyweight boxer.  When he fought Holyfield, he was rag-dolled.  When he fought Lewis, he was older and got annihilated.  If he hadn't gone to jail and had fought them earlier in his career he'd have had a bit more of a chance but I think the outcome would've been the same.  The other top fighter from this period was Riddick Bowe and I think Bowe could've beaten Tyson but his career was so badly managed that it's difficult to really say - Bowe did beat a prime Holyfield though.

22 minutes ago, gkneil said:

Ah, so we're now into 1985-1989 territory. 37 fights in that period.

OK,

He outweighed his opponents in 25 fights in that timeframe. He was outweighed 12 times

So he was heavier in 53.5% of his career fights but in the 85-89 period it was 67.5%

And we have to reduce the 38lbs to 35lbs now. And a 20+ lbs difference only happened twice in that period

So, in specifically picking out 1985 to 1989, you've further rubbished your 40lbs claim.

Fabulous

13 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Let's have a look at who Tyson fought during that period in his career

Trevor Berbick - not the most respected heavyweight champion in history

Bonecrusher Smith - Decent fighter, held a title for one fight, best win first round KO over Tim Witherspoon and was first man to beat Frank Bruno.

Pinklon Thomas - Best wins against the likes of Witherspoon and Mike Weaver.  A decent fighter but not a top level.

Tony Tucker - A good win at the time against a champion who managed to beat Buster Douglas.  Again, his subsequent record maybe gives a better idea of what sort of fighter he was - OK.

Tyrell Biggs - Good amateur but not a pro.  Served up to Tyson, who hammered him, he never had a really good win as a pro.

Larry Holmes - Holmes was way past his peak when he fought Tyson.

Tony Tubbs - Semi decent record going into the fight but lost to all the top level guys he fought.

Michael Spinks - Tyson's best win - Spinks was a top light-heavyweight and moved up beating an old Holmes and a couple of other contenders but Tyson devastated him.  It was a decisive, mean victory but came against a guy you'd expect a dominant heavyweight champion to beat.

Frank Bruno - God bless Frank, he was a trier but he wasn't at the top level.  Gave it a go though.

Carl Williams - Sparked in a round, as you'd expect.  

For me, that isn't a world defining legacy.  His best wins were against a light-heavy moving up and an over the hill Holmes.  Tyson, for all his spectacular punching power, never beat an all time great heavyweight boxer.  When he fought Holyfield, he was rag-dolled.  When he fought Lewis, he was older and got annihilated.  If he hadn't gone to jail and had fought them earlier in his career he'd have had a bit more of a chance but I think the outcome would've been the same.  The other top fighter from this period was Riddick Bowe and I think Bowe could've beaten Tyson but his career was so badly managed that it's difficult to really say - Bowe did beat a prime Holyfield though.

Ignored.

7 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

The entirety of the thread or just G-Man's prime contributions?

The entirety of all posts in any thread in the history of the Universe.

Only God can judge G-Man, but only if he asks Peppino first because he knows him and used to be a professional God at one time. 

Tyson was fantastic at points but his career is shrouded in myth as folk have pointed out above. Probably because of how enigmatic a character he was/is. Whats really good though is that he provides a handy yardstick, whereby people who swear blind that he is the GOAT like Pep here can be immediately dismissed with no further need to heed their opinions.

Now of course everyone knows Pep is full of wind and pish, but its good training for when someone else comes away with this shite.

54 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Why are you calling people champ ?

as well as being a top pro soccerist, peppino is also low-rent self publicist Shannon Briggs.

Anyway, Tyson was shite in Ip Man 3, not a patch on fat Tony in Creed.

1 hour ago, Peppino Impastato said:

At his best.  Mohammed Ali agrees with me btw.

You could say “ at his best “ or “ at their best “ about any individual sportsman or team for a designated period of time you chose to select 

However , performances are based over careers , so in that case Tyson is too 10 at best, but pound for pound wouldn’t even make top 30

Archived