David Goodwillie

Can't knock his goalscoring record and seems to be a bit of a cult hero down Cumbernauld way.  Despite lots of accusations to the contrary he has not been tried far less convicted in a criminal court therefore in the eyes of the law he is innocent until proven guilty.  A civil court does not have the same scrutiny over evidence and in my mind the girl's action to pursue this route was purely for financial gain.  It is not for me to say whether I think he is innocent or guilty but frankly there is a lot of point scoring going on here in terms of "my club" would get shot of or "my club" would never take him on.  Remember Ched Evans got a hell of a time trying to get out and play football again after getting out on licence and then was found not guilty after a retrial.  Just saying.....

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, The_Pit_Owns said:

Can't see Clyde holding onto him beyond the summer but they'll get a fee for him, however minimal that'll be.

Obviously his off the field antics have led him to where he is but you can see on the pitch that he is a step above everyone else in the league. He gets kicked all over the place but he just gets his head down and gets on with it.

St Mirren might take a punt on him?

I'd take him if we don't get Hardie back next season

1 hour ago, big al said:

You think he’s good enough for the premiership?

i have always felt he was over rated. 

I think he's probably a good Championship player but might do a job for a newly promoted club or a Hamilton. He's never been a prolific goalscorer other than at Clyde though.

13 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

I'd take him if we don't get Hardie back next season

Livingston clearly don't care about a players past (see Lithgow and Gallagher) so I wouldn't rule it out.

1 hour ago, Not a Bee said:

Can't knock his goalscoring record and seems to be a bit of a cult hero down Cumbernauld way.  Despite lots of accusations to the contrary he has not been tried far less convicted in a criminal court therefore in the eyes of the law he is innocent until proven guilty.  A civil court does not have the same scrutiny over evidence and in my mind the girl's action to pursue this route was purely for financial gain.  It is not for me to say whether I think he is innocent or guilty but frankly there is a lot of point scoring going on here in terms of "my club" would get shot of or "my club" would never take him on.  Remember Ched Evans got a hell of a time trying to get out and play football again after getting out on licence and then was found not guilty after a retrial.  Just saying.....

There’s a father out there, somewhere, who has had to hear a civil court declare this person has raped his daughter. 

Meanwhile the Clyde fans sing his name as if he is some kind of messi/ god.

if that was my daughter, be sure he wouldn’t be playing for Clyde, or anybody.

He should ask the manager of a bigger club for a contract and then, when the manager says no, get him so drunk he’s unconscious and make him hold the pen to sign it.

6 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

I expected this thread to be about Clyde fans nominating him for the Nobel Peace Prize or something similar.

Whit... You tellin' me he's no due it?

I haven't seen any of the articles mentioned so I'm not sure how much of the interview has been transcribed, however, I recorded the audio of the chat and for anyone interested, they can hear the full recording, here.

Tuesday was the first time I have heard Goodwillie speak since he went to Clyde and I would say he genuinely does enjoy being at the club and just wants to kick on again. He was really good against Cowdenbeath and if he can continue to show the form he has under Lennon I have no doubt he and Clyde will be playing at a higher level in the near future. 

He should ask the manager of a bigger club for a contract and then, when the manager says no, get him so drunk he’s unconscious and make him hold the pen to sign it.

What if the manager seemed very keen to sign him and continued to pursue him with a lucrative contract offer, only to change his mind once it had been signed?

4 minutes ago, Pride Of The Clyde said:

Dundee Utd , Aberdeen, Blackburn and Scotland , aye he is overrated.

Did nothing for Scotland, was pish at Aberdeen. Flopped at Blackburn. 

To be fair could maybe get in the Dundee Utd squad at the moment though!

Other than score against Spain...but yeah...nothing...

Scored a penalty vs Spain for Scotland.

Was decent at Aberdeen, particularly holding the ball and linking with midfield in European games. A lot of dons fans rated him.

A penalty.

heard xavi still raving about him 

He’s probably not raving about him. I’d be certain he won’t know who he is. But it still doesn’t make what you said any less inaccurate. If he had not scored for his country you would be correct but..you know...facts...

3 hours ago, big al said:

There’s a father out there, somewhere, who has had to hear a civil court declare this person has raped his daughter. 

Meanwhile the Clyde fans sing his name as if he is some kind of messi/ god.

if that was my daughter, be sure he wouldn’t be playing for Clyde, or anybody.

With all due respect you do not know the girl nor David Goodwillie to make any statement of intent to support one over the other.  I was careful to also point out that I had no opinion to state whether he was guilty or innocent - for the same reason that I do not know the character of either party - because a civil court is not a criminal court and therefore no evidence. forensic or otherwise, is used to determine probabilities.  Until Goodwillie is tried in a criminal court and found guilty, he is by definition, not a criminal.  You only have to look at the number of rape cases that have been withdrawn in recent months due to evidence coming to light which contradicts or in best case, weakens the prosecution argument.  I am not a Clyde fan so have no empathy with Goodwillie.  I am not a rival fan because my team are in a different league and have got a great chance to go up to the Championship via the play offs.  So as a neutral observer and supporter of the National team, I am just glad that an ex Scottish internationalist is getting his career back on track.  He who cast the first stone.....

Archived