David Goodwillie

1 hour ago, SLClyde said:

1. He wasn't a Clyde player when he got found guilty. 

2. It wasn't a court of law either. 

Try again. 

A civil court is a court of law. There are two justice systems in Scotland, civil and criminal. Both are courts of law.  Try and ignore a civil court order and see what happens to you !

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1. He wasn't a Clyde player when he got found guilty. 

2. It wasn't a court of law either. 

Try again. 

A civil court is a court of law. There are two justice systems in Scotland, civil and criminal. Both are courts of law.  Try and ignore a civil court order and see what happens to you !

So Clyde actively went out of their way to sign an officially convicted rapist (which is sooooo much better than being convicted whilst at Clyde).

Thanks to SLClyde for clearing this up.

57 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

So Clyde actively went out of their way to sign an officially convicted rapist (which is sooooo much better than being convicted whilst at Clyde).

Thanks to SLClyde for clearing this up.

My thoughts exactly 

1 hour ago, haufdaft said:

No we didn't!

Ok, to rephrase it: you signed a player that a Scottish court had very recently penalised for rape (convicted / ordered to pay damages in Jan '17 before you signed him in March).

Eta: Thanks for taking Ally Love off our hands btw.  ;)

"In the result, therefore, I find that in the early hours of Sunday 2 January 2011, at the flat in Greig Crescent, Armadale, both defenders took advantage of the pursuer when she was vulnerable through an excessive intake of alcohol and, because her cognitive functioning and decision-making processes were so impaired, was incapable of giving meaningful consent; and that they each raped her."

- Lord Armstrong's court ruling, Jan' 17

(i.e. two months before Goodwillie signs for Clyde)

HTH

12 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Ok, to rephrase it: you signed a player that a Scottish court had very recently penalised for rape.

Do you not mean the racist Ally Love? Just thought I'd get it in there before you or the several ill informed on this thread did.

4 hours ago, onecowden said:

Very interesting read. Especially the “mistake” bit.

Why are Cowdenbeath fans in the majority all out in force regarding what is almost a year old news. 

Of course there was a mistake made. A three way mistake in my opinion , bearing in mind the accusers best pal was comfortable enough with what was going on that she didn’t object or see any issues with the three of them jumping in a taxi.

Just my opinion, same as the civil court ruling - an opinion. 

2 hours ago, Clydeontheup said:

Why are Cowdenbeath fans in the majority all out in force regarding what is almost a year old news. 

Of course there was a mistake made. A three way mistake in my opinion , bearing in mind the accusers best pal was comfortable enough with what was going on that she didn’t object or see any issues with the three of them jumping in a taxi.

Surely “we are offering the opportunity and support for him to begin to reconcile his position and responsibilities and for him to rebuild a sporting career, enabling him to make a positive contribution to the wider footballing community and society as a whole." is a positive thing or is everyone with a past record to be subjected to our vengeful sense of justice?

I wasn't judging. I'm in no position to do so.

Ooft. Supporters rubbishing the law system if it paints their club in a better light. Classy.  As for that statement, it basically reads: "yeah, we admit he's guilty, but he's quite a good player so we're on a bit of a win-win here as it helps him get his life back on track".    

Year old news yet some Clyde fans on here evidently haven't grasped the facts.

FWIW, I believe that employing people that have made mistakes benefits society as a whole, IF that person has served their punishment. The waters are somewhat muddied on this one as most people can see that they got away with one here big time, with a difficulty in proving the crime almost certainly being the difference between the current situation and a lengthy custodial sentence. That said, whether the courts were right or wrong, they made their decision and the punishments handed out have been served (payments in this case). What's done is done, and he should be treated equally, hence allowed to apply his trade.

What we can't do however is sit back and idly watch people trying to trivialise or provide false facts to make their club look better in all of this (or at least let an affection for a particular club cloud their better judgement). Accept what has happened, what you signed and move on with it. It must be said though that anybody thinking that giving this player an opportunity was simply something out of the good of their hearts is being incredibly naive. Had it been a player of lower standard, eg. Ally Love that a civil court had said was guilty of a rape then there is no way Clyde would have touched him with a bargepole. We all know it, so just admit it and move on.

1 hour ago, You Only Live Twice said:

What an absolute contradictory mess.

You say that employing a criminal benefits society if they have served their punishment, then claim Goodwillie hasn't served his punishment as being unable to prove the crime was the only thing that kept him out of jail, ie. employing him would be deplorable. You then go on to state that  because he has served what you deem to be the lesser punishment handed out by the court that he should be employed. Whit?

You use terms such as "waters are somewhat muddied" and "whether the courts were right or wrong" in one breath then  claim "they got away with one big time"..... so which is it then? You've clearly made your mind up based on the same evidence that the rest of have been presented with, which is to say jack shit. And if the evidence was so compelling then he would undoubtedly be behind bars already, so there was clearly no great escape here.

You also believe him to be a rapist yet state "What's done is done, and he should be treated equally" which is a simply astonishing thing to say. Make no mistake, if he was guilty then there is no way he should be allowed out in public, let alone employed by Clyde FC.

You seem upset.

I did not say that Goodwillie hadn't served his punishment.  I stated that the courts made their decision and that the punishment handed down has now been fulfilled.  Therefore, regardless of whether or not I think it was the correct decision, the court's eventual verdict and resultant punishment should be accepted / respected and therefore he should then be treated the same as anybody else who has fulfilled the punishment handed down to them. 

It would be a flawed policy to accept people who have made 'mistakes' but then say "we'll take this guy, but not this one because in my opinion he should have got a harsher sentence".  You either take them, or you don't.

What we signed: A talented footballer who allegedly raped someone

What you signed was a talented footballer who had very recently been charged for rape, something that is evidently an unknown or an inconvenient truth to some on here.  Not only did one judge decide this, but another three when his appeal was later unanimously thrown out.

Move on with it: We have, although you clearly have not

I'd suggest that you take a careful look at the OP in this brand new thread dedicated to a "nothing article".

HTH

Yet you still seem obliged to post. How curious.

No Clyde fans were correcting the inaccuracies amongst their own, funnily enough.

Tell me then, did you find it necessary to lecture on the Edinburgh thread in regards to their signing of a convicted paedo? I’m just trying to determine whether your obsession lies with clubs signing criminals (alleged or otherwise) or with Clyde and Goodwillie in particular. 

I think we both know which it is.

Given that it's far from headline news and that I spend the vast majority of my P&B time in the upper echelons of this forum rather than delve through every thread down here in the basement in hope of finding some form of scandal, the Edinburgh incident that you refer to has completely bypassed me.

I only noticed this top-of-the-list thread en-route to the eye-catching 'Save Cowdenbeath' one and even now I can't see a dedicated thread on the Edinburgh incident even when actively scrolling down the League 2 list looking out for one.

Therefore it has absolutely nothing to do with singling out Clyde or any of its rapey players, no matter how much you evidently want it to be. Unlucky.

On 04/04/2018 at 15:41, Hedgecutter said:

Ok, to rephrase it: you signed a player that a Scottish court had very recently penalised for rape (convicted / ordered to pay damages in Jan '17 before you signed him in March).

HTH

Maybe you'd have won a game if love was still with yooz

19 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

No Clyde fans were correcting the inaccuracies amongst their own, funnily enough.

Given that it's far from headline news and that I spend the vast majority of my P&B time in the upper echelons of this forum rather than delve through every thread down here in the basement in hope of finding some form of scandal, the Edinburgh incident that you refer to has completely bypassed me.

I only noticed this top-of-the-list thread en-route to the eye-catching 'Save Cowdenbeath' one and even now I can't see a dedicated thread on the Edinburgh incident even when actively scrolling down the League 2 list looking out for one.

Therefore it has absolutely nothing to do with singling out Clyde or any of its rapey players, no matter how much you evidently want it to be. Unlucky.

129 pages of it down below.....here to help

I just got as far as Lewis McLear signing last month, Matthew shiels coming in as an emergency loan, Jordan Caddow joining Dalkeith, Graham Taylor coming in from Dundee Utd, some speculation about Farid El-Alagui and something about 'Beattie for manager' before I made the following and rather tough decision:

rGm1cd4.gif

If you give me the lad's name though then I'll happily chase it up though.  Thanks.

Archived