Motherwell vs Aberdeen 3/4/18

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Bob Mahelp
2 minutes ago, ken es said:

Hope so but different team for cup v motherwell ,we will miss Shinnie ,Mclean and Logan.

Mclean will be a massive loss. He's been in great form. 

No arguments there. We were dire first half, ok for a 20 minute spell and dire again afterwards. 

Well done Aberdeen. Hopefully it's your only victory over Motherwell in April. 

Honking. 

Abysmal in the first half, decent 15 min at start of second, then abysmal again til the end. 

Credit to Aberdeen, moved the ball well going forward , and disciplined back line which had Bowman  and Main feeding off scraps all night. 

Dunne was a big miss at the back for us , Hendrie had a  'mare. 

Absolutely no complaints, Aberdeen will have a few personnel changes in the semi, but plenty for Robinson to think about in order for us to make a fist of it at Hampden after that showing. 

No complaints after that, we were honking and very, very lucky to go in level at half time as Aberdeen totally controlled the first half. We began the second half looking a bit better but yet again two quickfire goals does for us and that was that.

Today was the lesser of our two meetings with Aberdeen this month but we will need a marked improvement if we are to stand any chance in 11 days time. I fear the big Hampden pitch will work in their favour there.

We were shocking in the first half. All we did was punt it to Bowman who was bullied all night by Aberdeen’s giant defenders. Aberdeen knocked the ball about well at times - especially the first half.

I feared the worst when Campbell was replaced by Bigi as Gael and McHugh is one of the slowest midfields in memory but we actually improved and Bigi knocked the ball about a bit. But as soon as Aberdeen score their goal we’re straight back to punts.

Shite football and a well deserved defeat. Not one of our players gets pass marks from me tonight.

We were rank rotten no denying and Aberdeen were well worth their win , but on an observational point is it written in Stevie May's contract that he gets a game no matter how shite he is or does Del have no choice due to how long he chased him , he's about as good a striker as I am

Very reminiscent of Aberdeen's last visit to Fir Park, an excellent performance is followed by a very flat and listless one 3 days later.

The 442 simply didn't work-  defence looked uncomfortable, particularly Hendrie. The midfield was overrun and chasing shadows for large spells while Main was isolated and feeding off scraps upfront as McKenna had Bowman in his back pocket all night. Thought both he and McLean were excellent for Aberdeen.

Tonight showed our limitations as a team, specifically the lack quality and composure on the ball. When we're at it and play with a lot of energy at a high tempo like we did at the weekend, we can compensate for it and still be effective going forward. Tonight though Aberdeen more than matched us physically and then it came down to who was better on the ball and sadly, there was only ever going to be one winner there. Although shout out to Bigi when he came on, been critical of him at times but fair play for being just about the only one in our team that looked like he actually wanted to get the ball down and play.

That's now just 4 wins in our last 22 league matches, that's pretty rank rotten. Whilst it's still been a decent season overall(especially in the cups), we haven't half stumbled about in the league and thrown away a pretty decent chance of a top six finish after what was an excellent start to the season. 

Superb performance. The best I've seen us in a long time. 

Solid defensively. McKenna and Arnason were assured and dominant. O'Connor really worked well shielding the back four in midfield. Can't think of too many chances for Motherwell. 

Greg Stewart has really come on leaps and bounds in the last few games. Technique and strength, did really well to create McLean's goal. Speaking of McLean, how good has he been since his move to Norwich?! Playing with freedom, and adding end product. MOTM for me. 

Stevie May really impressed me too. Pressing and harrying the defence, and brought others  into play too. Shinnie and Christie both great too. 

I love the Dons. f**k the ****. Second is the new first. 

Guest Bob Mahelp

In the last few games pretty much every thing good we've done has started with or involved Kenny McLean.

It's ironic that since he signed for another club he's become the player that we all hoped would he would be....but 2 years ago. He'll be a real miss at Hampden.

As to the semi-final, I honestly don't think that Motherwell have much else to offer skill or ability-wise. Their tactics for the game will be to roll the sleeves up a bit more, work harder, run faster, punt longer and crash into more tackles. There's no rocket surgery involved in working that out.

Despite missing Logan, Shinnie and McLean, we still have plenty of skill in the team in Christie, Stewart, GMS and a hopefully fit McGinn. We're also not short of muscle and with probably Reynolds and maybe Ball coming into the side we should easily be able to match Motherwell in the physical battle that they'll undoubtedly try to draw us into.

Taking nothing for granted, but we should be reasonably confident going into the game.

Very much enjoyed that despite nearly losing my toes to frostbite.

A really slick performance from start to finish (minus a slightly rocky start to 2nd half).  I bumped into a mate at half time who said 'we've been pish eh'.  I told him to cheer up.  I'd thought we were very good without creating too many clear cut chances.

Motherwell won't be that bad again come the semi so don't think last night was any sort of marker, although it doesn't harm the confidence at all.  Saying that, Mclean was superb again last night and will be a clear miss in 10 days time.

Stewart - Yes Greg.  This is the player I thought we were signing.  Keep it up.

May - starting to look sharper with every game.  Puts in a power of work and clearly offers more than Rooney outside the penalty box.  Add regular goals and we've got a real player on our hands.

Back 4 - excellent again.  It looked like Well missed a great chance before we scored but watching the highlights a lot of credit needs to go to Mckenna for his challenge.

O'Connor - I am his biggest critic so only fair to point out when he's good.  I thought he had a great game last night and looked very solid.  Keep it simple Anthony and you can do just fine in this league.

A welcome 3 points and hopefully we are hitting form at the right time. 

Motherwell are a better side than last night.  Still nervous about the semi. 

The first half last night was so eye-bleedingly terrible to watch it would get football stopped. Between our general malaise and Aberdeen shooting like blind men it was horrendous. Second half was just a bit better from us but lost a couple of silly goals. We were kind of hamstrung having to play 4-4-2 as it meant we couldn't press on to Aberdeen as much. Would imagine the semi will be a totally different set up where we'll go back to 5 in midfield to run over the top of folk.

Also another big shout out to Curtis Main for dropping bodies all over the park again. What a guy.

Archived