2018/19 Challenge Cup

algy

Don't know why some of ya are getting your knickers in a twist.  I'm Scottish and luv Scottish football but the fact of the matter is the Irish have never sent their best teams and the ones they do send like Bohs(in good form now)and Sligo are not very good and don't seem to take it seriously... not sure how serious the northern bunch take it but they are gash anyway

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Saw Falkirk beat them 5-2 in a friendly over there about 3 years ago, they were awful. 

Saw Bohs stuff Rangers and Aberdeen in Europe..

Also saw Derry put 5 past the Scottish cup runners up in Europe too

Edited by Bohemian

One of the Irish teams away in the next round, please

Given the antics of Nomads the last two seasons I'm hoping for them at home and Dobbie to absolutely roast them, for the scenes.

Don't know why some of ya are getting your knickers in a twist.  I'm Scottish and luv Scottish football but the fact of the matter is the Irish have never sent their best teams and the ones they do send like Bohs(in good form now)and Sligo are not very good and don't seem to take it seriously... not sure how serious the northern bunch take it but they are gash anyway

Aren't Linfield and Crusaders the last two seasons' Champions? As I said earlier, we've knocked them out the last two seasons. Not sure how sending the country's Champions aren't their best teams.

5 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

Saw Bohs stuff Rangers and Aberdeen in Europe..

Also saw Derry put 5 past the Scottish cup runners up in Europe too

And TNS who got knocked out by Queens Park last night knocked the Bohs out of the Champions League 4-1 on ag. Not saying it wouldn't be good having the top Eire sides taking part, I just wouldn't assume they'd walk it.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

And TNS who got knocked out by Queens Park last night knocked the Bohs out of the Champions League 4-1 on ag. Not saying it wouldn't be good having the top Eire sides taking part, I just wouldn't assume they'd walk it.

Bohs beat the Welsh champs a few seasons back by 6 or 7 in Europe..anyway we could go on and on.. I never said they would walk it, I said they would be there or there abouts, I'd actually like to see Dundalk and Cork in it to see how they would do. I honestly think They would easily survive in the top flight

6 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Given the antics of Nomads the last two seasons I'm hoping for them at home and Dobbie to absolutely roast them, for the scenes.

Aren't Linfield and Crusaders the last two seasons' Champions? As I said earlier, we've knocked them out the last two seasons. Not sure how sending the country's Champions aren't their best teams.

Dundalk and Cork play in a different league

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, Bohemian said:
If Norm Iron and Rep of Ireland put their top teams in it it wouldn't be long. Linfield, Cliftonville, Crusaders and Dundalk, Cork City and say Shamrock Rovers are a big step above what they have in it now.  Cork and Dundalk would be a step above all those too.

We've seen off Linfield and Crusaders in the last two seasons. I can't see an Irish side winning it any time soon. More likely TNS tbh.

Linfield was the year before last to be pedantic. That said, although we lost down there on pens, I wasnt particularly impressed with TNS either. Their full time status and higher profile combined with a couple of fortunate runs to semi finals has people over-rating them. Dont think they are any better than the Irish sides. They have lost to Dumbarton and Queens Park at home last two seasons.

24 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Yeah wouldnt mind them for the same reasons.

It wouldnt be popular with most of our fans but I would like one of the two Colt sides next. It should in reality be effectively a bye for a full time side. There arent too many bad draws out there though. Absolutely dont want Ross County, especially not away. Would rather avoid Dunfermline and probably Alloa too as they are same division. Anything else has some merit in it though as much as I would like to go, I'm not sure I would get to an away game in Ireland.

The amount of money given to clubs for travelling definitely needs looked at but I’ve got to be honest and say that I’m getting a little sick of all the moaning about costs. Championship clubs complaining is ridiculous.

I’m sorry but if you can afford to have a squad full of professional footballers you can afford to send them to England for the night.

It’s a bit more understandable to hear grumbles from smaller clubs but on the same note, I’m sure it’s do-able on the money given by the SPFL with a few cost saving measures such as the ones suggested above and players sharing rooms etc.

Opinions are split but it seems there is a fair share of fans that like the inclusion of the foreign teams, myself included. We should enjoy the positive fact that it’s something different and produces some fantastic away days!

There are plenty of footballing nations far bigger geographically than Scotland/UK that have small teams who have to travel long distances occasionally, especially for cup competitions. Get over it.

Colt teams on the other hand....

GTF

14 minutes ago, BIGdavieT said:

The amount of money given to clubs for travelling definitely needs looked at but I’ve got to be honest and say that I’m getting a little sick of all the moaning about costs. Championship clubs complaining is ridiculous.

I’m sorry but if you can afford to have a squad full of professional footballers you can afford to send them to England for the night.

It’s a bit more understandable to hear grumbles from smaller clubs but on the same note, I’m sure it’s do-able on the money given by the SPFL with a few cost saving measures such as the ones suggested above and players sharing rooms etc.

Opinions are split but it seems there is a fair share of fans that like the inclusion of the foreign teams, myself included. We should enjoy the positive fact that it’s something different and produces some fantastic away days!

There are plenty of footballing nations far bigger geographically than Scotland/UK that have small teams who have to travel long distances occasionally, especially for cup competitions. Get over it.

Colt teams on the other hand....

GTF

If the money isnt enough to cover the expenses of travelling then it isnt enough. The size of club is irrelevant.

Moaning about it when you chose to fly as Dunfermline did this year and Falkirk did last however just weakens your argument.

1 hour ago, Bohemian said:

Dundalk and Cork play in a different league

Your initial post claimed that Northern Ireland weren't sending their best. In fact, the top two clubs from the Northern Irish league have been sent each season. You've suddenly dropped that part and started arguing exclusively about clubs from the Roi.

Bohs beat the Welsh champs a few seasons back by 6 or 7 in Europe..anyway we could go on and on.. I never said they would walk it, I said they would be there or there abouts, I'd actually like to see Dundalk and Cork in it to see how they would do. I honestly think They would easily survive in the top flight

Dundalk and Cork are miles ahead of the rest in League of Ireland and would walk both the NI and Welsh league and would easily hold there own in SPL but would defo compete at the top in Scottish Championship! As you’ve kinda mentioned the LOI sent there 5th place team from last season and 9th place team cos both 6th and 7th were kicked out for financial FairPlay issues and 8th spot turned this tournament down cos they wanted no part in it! Looking at the Bohs squad against Peterhead we ain’t taking it seriously nor should we as we are reaching the end of the LOI season but I don’t feel LOI teams should be invited in next season as the respect for the tournament doesn’t seem to be there so surely Highland or Lowland league teams should there instead!!

That said hoping for a trip to Edinburgh or Hampden next round!

Just now, craigkillie said:

Your initial post claimed that Northern Ireland weren't sending their best. In fact, the top two clubs from the Northern Irish league have been sent each season. You've suddenly dropped that part and started arguing exclusively about clubs from the Roi.

I admit I should not of included those diddies

If the money isnt enough to cover the expenses of travelling then it isnt enough. The size of club is irrelevant.
Moaning about it when you chose to fly as Dunfermline did this year and Falkirk did last however just weakens your argument.

Flying is a perfectly acceptable mode of transport for journeys of 400 + miles. It's the norm for business to pay flights for similar trips.

It's not like we're hiring a private jet.

13 minutes ago, Bill said:

Dundalk and Cork are miles ahead of the rest in League of Ireland and would walk both the NI and Welsh league and would easily hold there own in SPL but would defo compete at the top in Scottish Championship! As you’ve kinda mentioned the LOI sent there 5th place team from last season and 9th place team cos both 6th and 7th were kicked out for financial FairPlay issues and 8th spot turned this tournament down cos they wanted no part in it! Looking at the Bohs squad against Peterhead we ain’t taking it seriously nor should we as we are reaching the end of the LOI season but I don’t feel LOI teams should be invited in next season as the respect for the tournament doesn’t seem to be there so surely Highland or Lowland league teams should there instead!!

That said hoping for a trip to Edinburgh or Hampden next round!

Yeah but but Coleraine...  Dundalk and Cork would ragdoll most teams outside the top flight in Scotland. I'll be happy with a trip to Lansdowne road mate.  

Edited by Bohemian

8 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Flying is a perfectly acceptable mode of transport for journeys of 400 + miles. It's the norm for business to pay flights for similar trips.

It's not like we're hiring a private jet.

Its not like its the cheapest way to do it though either, which is the point I made. 

I agree that its unfair to expect Scottish clubs to do an overnighter in London area for £3500 though.