England's Glorious Failure

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

The set up works fine IMO. It's really down to the big teams being spunk more than anything I think.  This WC has been an anomaly in the grand scheme of all WCs. 

Welding a round robin league structure onto a knockout competition is always going to produce a few imperfections but this is an edge case.

It's an anomoly even at this world Cup. The Denouements of Groups B, D  & E happened after Groups A, C & F without any conflicting motivations. 

If Colombia had beaten Japan, or even if Japan had defeated an 11 man Colombia, then nobody would be talking about teams wanting to finish 2nd in Group G

3 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Welding a round robin league structure onto a knockout competition is always going to produce a few imperfections but this is an edge case.

It's an anomoly even at this world Cup. The Denouements of Groups B, D  & E happened after Groups A, C & F without any conflicting motivations. 

If Columbia had beaten Japan, or even if Japan had defeated an 11 man Columbia, then nobody would be talking about teams wanting to finish 2nd in Group G

There you go, it just so happens that this anomaly is benefiting England's group unfortunately.

Isn't anomaly a great word?

I don't think they are going to do anything clever-clever, like try to lose or try to get loads of bookings while playing out a 0-0. 

Imagine Southgate put out a 2nd XI and they got scudded 5-0, their confidence would get a big blow, they'd lose momentum.  Also, I think the difficult and easy halves of the draw are kind of missold.  Croatia are in the 'easy' half with Argentina in the 'difficult' yet Croatia absolutely bummed the Argies.

Yeah the "easy half" could still yet have Spain, Croatia, Belgium and Columbia. It's not a bad route in their quarter but it's far from an easy half.

That's the baffling thing for me.  In all the chat of "oh no, it's Brazil in the quarters", no-one has mentioned that the alternative could very well be Colombia in the next round.  Surely getting Brazil in the quarters means you've beaten Belgium (or at least got a positive result) and beaten Japan or Senegal (or Colombia even) in the first knockout round.  That would be two great results, going into a match against a side that are ultimately fallible.

But naw, let's suggest being clever, and then being absolutely seething when it all falls apart.

6 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I don't think they are going to do anything clever-clever, like try to lose or try to get loads of bookings while playing out a 0-0. 

Imagine Southgate put out a 2nd XI and they got scudded 5-0, their confidence would get a big blow, they'd lose momentum.  Also, I think the difficult and easy halves of the draw are kind of missold.  Croatia are in the 'easy' half with Argentina in the 'difficult' yet Croatia absolutely bummed the Argies.

From both teams perspective this is a like the end of season league game before a Cup final appearance, they won't actually want to lose but they won't be too bothered if they do providing they come through unscathed.

Martinez and Southgate are both liable to rest players on yellow cards (Kyle Walker, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Jan Vertonghen, Thomas Meunier & Kevin De Bruyne) and anybody carrying a minor injury.

46 minutes ago, forameus said:

That's the baffling thing for me.  In all the chat of "oh no, it's Brazil in the quarters", no-one has mentioned that the alternative could very well be Colombia in the next round.  Surely getting Brazil in the quarters means you've beaten Belgium (or at least got a positive result) and beaten Japan or Senegal (or Colombia even) in the first knockout round.  That would be two great results, going into a match against a side that are ultimately fallible.

But naw, let's suggest being clever, and then being absolutely seething when it all falls apart.

Aye this is more or less what I was thinking.  I didn't see a "hard" half of the draw as such. Brazil are very beatable, especially given England's ability at set pieces etc. It also seems weird and lacking in ambition if you're trying to lose against Belgium so that you don't have to play Colombia. If you can beat Belgium, I dare say you'll beat Colombia. I don't imagine the coach of either England or Belgium is thinking about anything other than winning and then taking whatever opposition comes. To do otherwise would betray a huge lack of confidence in the ability of his team, which would be catastrophic to morale. I'd love England to beat Belgium because them playing Colombia will be a cracking game.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf, it might have done. They come second in the group, and potentially have Senegal. In the Quarters they'd be against either Switzerland or Sweden, which is where Germany would've come into things. 

That's a pretty simple route to reach a Semi-Final. 

Win the group, though, and it's Brazil who'll meet them in the Quarters. 

Sweden have been hugely impressive so far. Switzerland and Senegal have also both looked decent. 

Don't of those teams would be quite as simple as they appear to be. 

2 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

If Columbia had beaten Japan, or even if Japan had defeated an 11 man Columbia, then nobody would be talking about teams wanting to finish 2nd in Group G

There is no team called "Columbia" in this tournament.

I don't think any of the traditional footballing powerhouses have looked anywhere near convincing yet. Spain, France and Brazil have done what needed to be done. Argentina just about got there. Germany were woeful. It could be argued that they'll come good at the right time later in the tournament, but it would seem to me that the teams to avoid are the likes of Croatia, Uruguay, Sweden, etc.

Guest Pampered Adolescent

FFS, we give greenies to pedants here regarding the spelling of Colombia....

Can I get one for pointing out that 'Deonouments' shouldn't start with a capital letter as it is not a proper noun. Unless the author has been code-switching between English and German, where all nouns start with capital letters.....

Cheers

PA

Archived