Falkirk vs Champions | Farewell Alex Smith

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Better team by some distance in the first half. Second half even. Morgan missed the best chance of the game (well, another good save from Mutch) on about 85 mins, then Falkirk hit one in off the post a few minutes later.

Falkirk have beaten the champions twice in the last 3 games, but they look woeful, and if they think that those two victories against a Saints team who’d already won the league, and with 8 and 6 changes, mean they don’t have a massive amount of work to do next season, then they’ll struggle again.

Doubt Hartley is that daft though.

8 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Better team by some distance in the first half. Second half even. Morgan missed the best chance of the game (well, another good save from Mutch) on about 85 mins, then Falkirk hit one in off the post a few minutes later.

Falkirk have beaten the champions twice in the last 3 games, but they look woeful, and if they think that those two victories against a Saints team who’d already won the league, and with 8 and 6 changes, mean they don’t have a massive amount of work to do next season, then they’ll struggle again.

Doubt Hartley is that daft though.

We're shite and we know we are thats for sure.  The last few weeks have done nothing to change that.  Strangely enough there wasnt a lot between our two sides in the first two games played between them either which was a surprise considering how pish we've been this season. 

What a damp squib of a way to end a title winning season. You would have thought St Mirren would go all out and put a show on rather than lose to a team who going by the comments on here are terrible. Still congratulations to St Mirren best team in the league by a mile and had done all the hard work months ago. Hope St Mirren do well next season Ross seems like a good guy.

10 minutes ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

What a damp squib of a way to end a title winning season. You would have thought St Mirren would go all out and put a show on rather than lose to a team who going by the comments on here are terrible. Still congratulations to St Mirren best team in the league by a mile and had done all the hard work months ago. Hope St Mirren do well next season Ross seems like a good guy.

Going by team selection only game we wanted to make sure we won was last week against Morton for the trophy presentation. 

The games against Falkirk before and after, even with mainly reserve teams out, we actually still competed as I think Ross (and the fans) wanted to win them - just not that badly.

Think we were very unlucky to lose both, but hey ho.

Falkirk keeper made three top drawer saves today, and I think he wore the No22 jersey for Falkirk? - he was tricky and looked to have some skill. St Mirren’s semi-reserves did OK, without McGinn’s drive and a few first choice men missing. It isn’t Falkirk’s concern that in two meetings St Mirren made eight and six changes from the norm’, it’s only Falkirk’s concern that they got the points, and they did, so fair play to them.

Having said that, I’m sure Falkirk fans will recognise that while we obviously wanted our team to win both recent meetings, given the circumstances under which both games took place, we aren’t that bothered that we didn’t win either.

We are more concerned with the bigger picture - which is how we will compete next season, and who will come to and who will leave St Mirren.

Was a decent game considering it was ‘end of season’ fare, and Alex Smith received a right good send-off, so all in all, far from the end of the world and we all move on.... but our supporters move on minus three beach balls. :)

6 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Falkirk keeper made three top drawer saves today, and I think he wore the No22 jersey for Falkirk? - he was tricky and looked to have some skill. St Mirren’s semi-reserves did OK, without McGinn’s drive and a few first choice men missing. It isn’t Falkirk’s concern that in two meetings St Mirren made eight and six changes from the norm’, it’s only Falkirk’s concern that they got the points, and they did, so fair play to them.

Having said that, I’m sure Falkirk fans will recognise that while we obviously wanted our team to win both recent meetings, given the circumstances under which both games took place, we aren’t that bothered that we didn’t win either.

We are more concerned with the bigger picture - which is how we will compete next season, and who will come to and who will leave St Mirren.

Was a decent game considering it was ‘end of season’ fare, and Alex Smith received a right good send-off, so all in all, far from the end of the world and we all move on.... but our supporters move on minus three beach balls. :)

'decent game'? Are u having a giraffe. It was utterly dreadful apart from a decent goal. I can only presume your still pished from the celabratory champagne.

4 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

'decent game'? Are u having a giraffe. It was utterly dreadful apart from a decent goal.

No, I said it was a decent game for ‘end of season’ fare, which is very clear in my post.

4 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

No, I said it was a decent game for ‘end of season’ fare, which is very clear in my post.

Start of season , end of season or middle of season it was an utterly dreadful game of football.  My mate whose over from the states couldnt believe how awful the standard was.

8 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Start of season , end of season or middle of season it was an utterly dreadful game of football.  My mate whose over from the states couldnt believe how dreadful the standard was.

This is hard work... many, many times, over many, many seasons, when you get games at the end of the season between two teams who cannot win anything, or be relegated, it is an utter shit-fest played at snail’s pace, between two teams who look like they are thinking about Ibiza and what time their flight leaves Glasgow Airport. If you’re trying to tell me today’s game was one of those, then you are either blind, or a forum WUM.

While not a match to set anyone’s pulses racing, I would contend that as far as end of season games go, today’s was at least decent.

That is all. It was at least played at pace, we made three good chances, the Falkirk keeper made three great saves, and a good goal won it. It wasn’t at all “utterly dreadful”. I have watched many games between Hamilton Accies and Gus MacPherson’s St Mirren teams, so believe me, I know utterly dreadful when I see it.

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

This is hard work... many, many times, over many, many seasons, when you get games at the end of the season between two teams who cannot w8n anything, or be relegated, it is an utter shit-fest played at snail’s pace, between two teams who look like they are thinking about Ibiza and what time their flight leaves Glasgow Airport.

While not a match to set anyone’s pulses racing, I would contend that as far as end of season games go, today’s was at least decent.

That is all. It was at least played at pace, we made three good chances, the Falkirk keeper made three great saves, and a good goal won it. It wasn’t at all “utterly dreadful”. I have watched many games between Hamilton Accies and Gus MacPherson’s St Mirren teams, so believe me, I know utterly dreadful when I see it.

Instead we had two reserve sides full of players that looked like they knew they were going to be playing elsewhere next season. Strings of misplaced passes and shots that were more likely to end up in row z than the back of the net. If you think that was decent end of season fair then batter on .

1 minute ago, Shodwall cat said:

Instead we had two reserve sides full of players that looked like they knew they were going to be playing elsewhere next season. Strings of misplaced passes and shots that were more likely to end up in row z than the back of the net. If you think that was decent end of season fair then batter on .

I did think it was decent, for an end of season game, so we can agree to disagree as we move on. Me to the Premiership, and you to some genuinely “utterly dreadful” games in a shithole like Greenock. 

Enjoy.

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

I did think it was decent, for an end of season game, so we can agree to disagree as we move on. Me to the Premiership, and you to some genuinely “utterly dreadful” games in a shithole like Greenock. 

Enjoy.

Somebodys touchy.

2 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Somebodys touchy.

Was meant to be in jest, but forgot to add the smiley. :P

That’s it retospectively added. Now, gie’s wur’ beachballs back and enjoy Greenock next season you cnuttttt! :)

3 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Falkirk were indeed awful, so can see why you say that.

First half especially I reckon your passes found touch more than a Falkirk player.

Saints actually played some decent stuff at points, but maybe we were building in to our expectations what the team line up was?

Miles away from what we’re capable of, but a few enjoyable moments nonetheless. 

Have seen Saints play a lot more badly in many games than they did in this.

1 minute ago, Bobby_F said:

Falkirk were indeed awful, so can see why you say that.

First half especially I reckon your passes found touch more than a Falkirk player.

Saints actually played some decent stuff at points, but maybe we were building in to our expectations what the team line up was?

Miles away from what we’re capable of, but a few enjoyable moments nonetheless. 

Have seen Saints play a lot more badly in many games than they did in this.

Our first 11 has been bad enough all season so a shadow side was never going to be up to much. The fact that we kept a clean sheet with grant and watson as the centrebacks was a minor miracle.

Great performance from Robbie Mutch today he made 3 quality saves and his distribution was class as well. Really didn’t think he had that kind of performance in him. Fair play.

Cracking hit by Ryan Blair as well.

Agree he was outstanding in goal today with three first rate saves.
Not sure about his distribution though.
Still looks capable of holding down a place if given a chance.

Archived