General World Cup Nonsense

jagfox

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As enjoyable as these games have been, the 7pm kick offs are shit as, unless we get extra time, it’s all done by 9pm. Too early.

Love island at 9 m8

51 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

The last time the World Cup Final featured two teams who'd never played in a previous World Cup Final was way back in the second World Cup ever held, 1934

Technically, it happened in 1958. Brazil had never previously taken part in a World Cup Final, they had only taken place in an encounter which happened to be the concluding Final Group Stage match, in 1950 there was no actual "Final". 

12 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Technically, it happened in 1958. Brazil had never previously taken part in a World Cup Final, they had only taken place in an encounter which happened to be the concluding Final Group Stage match, in 1950 there was no actual "Final". 

Yes you're right, fair point.

Sweden were also in that four team final group stage so could you argue both Sweden and Brazil had been in it already??!! ;)

Had a look there and that 1950 World Cup sounds a bit of a shambles:

India, France and Scotland withdrew before it started.

"There was not enough time to invite further replacement teams or to reorganise the groups, so the tournament featured only thirteen teams, with just two nations in Group 4."

So a couple of groups of four teams, a group of three, and a group of two teams.

"Before the qualification competition, George Graham, chairman of the Scottish Football Association (SFA), had said that Scotland would only travel to Brazil as winners of the Home Championship.[7] (England, by contrast, had committed to attending, even if they finished in second place).[7] After Scotland ended up in second place behind England, the Scottish captain George Young, encouraged by England captain Billy Wright, pleaded with the SFA to change its mind and accept the place in Brazil; however, Graham refused to change his position and so Scotland withdrew from the tournament."

13 hours ago, Ned Nederlander said:

When did it first occur ?

everytime i see that picture of Jennifer Aniston in your profile pic , i have the overwhleming urge to masterbate furiously. if you don't change it i'll end up losing my job.

That George Graham (not to be confused with his better-known namesake) sounds like an utter twat. 

When Scotland did eventually enter, in 1954, he only let them take thirteen players... everyone else took twenty-two except for South Korea who took twenty. 

He also arranged for the Scottish squad to wear jumpers rather than shirts as he assumed that a Swiss Summer would be freezing cold.

That George Graham (not to be confused with his better-known namesake) sounds like an utter twat. 
When Scotland did eventually enter, in 1954, he only let them take thirteen players... everyone else took twenty-two except for South Korea who took twenty. 
He also arranged for the Scottish squad to wear jumpers rather than shirts as he assumed that a Swiss Summer would be freezing cold.

"Utter twat in charge of SFA shocker"

11 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

He does, but as KK says, no great shock.  Some ego driven suit coming out with decisions detrimental to the sport purely to show that he could do what he wanted.

Especially frustrating when you think how hard it is to qualify now.  

The fact that he restricted the squad size in 54 suggests to me that deciding we would only attend if we were Home Champions in 50 was a convenient excuse for penny-pinching, saving the SFA the air/boat fare to Brazil. 

Apparently some famous-ish Japanese octopus correctly predicted all of Japan's WC18 results.

As a reward they've eaten him.

It's what he would have wanted!!!
Think I've got some pictures of some octopi somewhere!!!

16 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

Ally and John, lads on tour.

I get the feeling that there's an undercurrent of pure white-hot hatred that Jon holds for oor Ally.  Like he feels like he's his carer or something.  

Archived