The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

39 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

I'm aware, but we both know that we'd get that over the line and then negotiate a fee to get him now

Aye you can try, it won't push the price down though. 

Am I having major blanks in that I can’t remember Houston being that bad defensively?

I think he’s a decent Championship full back but we could do without having to replace him right now.
Have to now, Itzdrk has already punted him to Partick.

8 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Am I having major blanks in that I can’t remember Houston being that bad defensively?

I think he’s a decent Championship full back but we could do without having to replace him right now.

No he’s not that bad, he’s just the latest of itzdrk’s hate figures for no apparent reason. He always has to have one at the club for some reason.

Edited by Honest_Man#1

Houston will be going nowhere else on loan , he will only leave if a club offers him at least a one year deal , he is very settled at Ayr and enjoying his time , don’t see why Rangers would recall him as his contract is up at end of season 

Edited by Robbo63

8 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

He’s a bit like Devlin not scared to charge down the wing but will leave space at the back that gets exploited. Far from the finished article but if he keeps improving will be a decent  player . Most years I wouldn’t be too bothered if he left but right now I do not want anybody else going. With our new management team  it’s going to be a test filling existing gaps without more work being created

11 hours ago, itzdrk said:

I'd be quite happy if Houston is away, I think he's minging. 

I'm one of the few who'd agree with you.

Having said that I'd keep him as a squad  / utility player as believe he can do a job, however he's certainly not first choice RB material as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by WATTOO

1 hour ago, Robbo63 said:

Houston will be going nowhere else on loan , he will only leave if a club offers him at least a one year deal , he is very settled at Ayr and enjoying his time , don’t see why Rangers would recall him as his contract is up at end of season 

On theory though, a club (eg Thistle) could sign him on a PCA now and then play the unsettling player card like Doc has had. 

Surely we should be offering him a 2 1/2 year deal now. He's likely to be released by Rangers and this would give him and us some ongoing security through this season and going forward. 

We aren't going to get a better option for free as things stand. 

44 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

On theory though, a club (eg Thistle) could sign him on a PCA now and then play the unsettling player card like Doc has had. 

Surely we should be offering him a 2 1/2 year deal now. He's likely to be released by Rangers and this would give him and us some ongoing security through this season and going forward. 

We aren't going to get a better option for free as things stand. 

Ayr are never going to give 2 1/2 year contracts to anyone , not an established player yet and has not been at his 2 previous loan clubs , I would give him a contract to end of season only then take it from there 

Young Houston is fine for this level and as they say a good athlete gets up and down the park. The only thing minging as some have said is his final ball into the box regularly in games if he can improve that I think he has a chance.

Hes been a slow burner for me as early doors I didn’t think he was any better than Ferguson who we released but credit to the coaches and the boy I see improvement and will be a good replacement for Geggan who is nearly finished at this level through injuries.

30 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Ayr are never going to give 2 1/2 year contracts to anyone , not an established player yet and has not been at his 2 previous loan clubs , I would give him a contract to end of season only then take it from there 

Then we risk losing yet another asset for free. We can't keep letting players leave for free if we hope to progress as a club or hope to include valuable sell on clauses. Imagine we had between 10 and 20% of Shanklands future value. Potentially game changing sums for us. 

The only reason I suggested 2 1/2 years was to get through this season and then give him another 2 seasons to develop and progress which I think he will with regular game time.

We've got to be a bit more ambitious in our outlook, whilst living within our means obviously.

We're always going to have to pay players wages season after season, if we have a talent like Shankland, Harvie, Rose or McCowan why didn't / can't we see the bigger picture sooner and commit to a slightly longer contract? The players would surely have committed longer term at a time when "nobody" else wanted them? 

Edited to add, Ecrepont was given a multi year deal was he not? 

If that becomes the norm rather than the exception then the management team can begin to plan further ahead as well as just season to season or window to window that we currently have to endure. 

If we want to become a team with playoff ambitions let's sensibly back the manager to get it right with a nucleus of young, hungry, motivated and above all, talented, players. 

Edited by BukyOHare

Just in addition to my previous post I'm not advocating a 20 man squad each on 2 year contracts, but if we can identify and commit sooner to our brightest talents, then the benefits definitely outweigh any negatives. 

Player wages are sunk costs for football teams, we're always going to be paying them, now, next season and hopefully in 100 years time from now. 

We just need to be a bit braver and bolder in our outlook and I'm sure the profile of the kind of players we've been signing over the last few seasons will eagerly commit, within the financial framework that exists. 

Edited by BukyOHare

15 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Just in addition to my previous post I'm not advocating a 20 man squad each on 2 year contracts, but if we can identify and commit sooner to our brightest talents, then the benefits definitely outweigh any negatives. 

Player wages are sunk costs for football teams, we're always going to be paying them, now, next season and hopefully in 100 years time from now. 

We just need to be a bit braver and bolder in our outlook and I'm sure the profile of the kind of players we've been signing over the last few seasons will eagerly commit, within the financial framework that exists. 

You have soon real good points there , but good young players don’t want to sign long term contracts with clubs with a pay structure like us and at least another 4/5 teams in our league , Ecropont did get a 3 year contract but as a youngster on a contract that not many established players would consider , only people who will sign that type of contract is players hoping to break into team through academy etc 

If Houston leaves gaps, I don't really see how that is his fault. If he gets up the park and supports his midfield or overlaps, then either a midfielder should cover or the defence should shuffle across. Pretty basic stuff unless he's being instructed to stay deep and he's ignoring it.