The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Duffy has inherited this squad which Hopkin assembled with a particular style of play in mind, which we can all see was a complete failure. There were limited players available today, but for me we're better trying to play attacking football with the risk that we lose rather than revert to Hopkin's style and almost certainly lose. We may still have lost today (the injuries reduced our quality) but it would probably have felt better.

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

I don’t think a lot of today can be blamed on the appointment of Duffy to be honest. 
A big part of recent weeks has been O’Conner, we were missing Bradley as well which meant either Moffat or Salkeld coming in. I think everyone would agree that Moffat should have started today. 
like the Raith game, under pressure we sit too deep and the defenders in midfield drop back meaning we invite pressure. 
the lack of changes in the first half can be put down to Duffy. I don’t understand why Maxwell doesn’t start and Mcallister isn’t a Championship wingback.

I'd agree with this, from the word go it was obvious that we had no pace and no width in the team which basically nullified us as an attacking force and just invited pressure.

It was also very noticeable that Reading looked poor today and that was down to having Chalmers just standing watching him as opposed to actually moving ahead into space, to either provide an angle for a pass, or even just to draw players away from Reading, this is what would normally happen when O'Connor plays and is basically our main attacking threat.

Over and above this, we were majorly missing the running and movement of Bradley over on the other side and a combination of Fjortoft and McAllister just doesn't cut it.

Basically the whole shape and game plan was totally wrong today and of course much of that was probably unavoidable due to our injuries and availability of players.

Despite our own deficiencies (and there were many), a special mention has to go to the referee who was utterly horrendous and gave Thistle every 50/50 plus many additional fouls which should actually have gone the way of Ayr, these decisions while not huge in isolation actually lead to at least 2 of their goals so definitely made a difference.

Another major annoyance was our terrible corner kicks and WHY Muirhead was taking them rather than Reading or even Maxwell when he came on ??

All in all it was a terrible day at the office with nobody performing anywhere near their best, tactics weren't great and there was some very poor defending / lack of fight, especially last 10 mins but we must dust ourselves down and get ready for Queens as that is now a huge match and just hope that we have Bradley and O'Connor back or even Hewitt who definitely has something to offer.

22 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

How long is mcgintys contract? Can’t remember if it was a year or two either way he’s absolutely awful and was at fault for at least 3 goals today

He's rancid.

It's saying something that Baird looks capable alongside him and Baird was dug meat last season. I have to begrudgingly admit that Baird seems to have improved.

He's rancid.
It's saying something that Baird looks capable alongside him and Baird was dug meat last season. I have to begrudgingly admit that Baird seems to have improved.
And lack of a decent midfielder capable of partnering Murdoch means we are playing Muirhead out of position rather than alongside Baird.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Need to concentrate on getting points from the teams in the bottom half of the table. That's our level.

This, still think we'll be down the bottom end battling off relegation again like last season unfortunately.

Unless we actually sign some quality in January

46 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

How long is mcgintys contract? Can’t remember if it was a year or two either way he’s absolutely awful and was at fault for at least 3 goals today

You know he's a liability when the opposition fans are singing "there's only one Sean McGinty".

He is quite unusual - not bad generally but prone to having many moments of complete and utter ineptitude that cost games. The game in Inverness was clearly not just a "one-off".

5 minutes ago, rb123! said:

This, still think we'll be down the bottom end battling off relegation again like last season unfortunately.

Unless we actually sign some quality in January

Based on recent history, we just know January is going to slide by with us doing absolutely f**k all...

We’re going to be stuck like this until O’Connor comes back and even then we’re looking at competing and trying to beat Dunfermline, Hamilton, Morton and QOS. I’ve no idea how much scope Duffy will have in January but you’d imagine if he managed to offload a couple of bodies he’d be allowed to replace them as well as addressing our issues in midfield and going forward.

4 minutes ago, edinburghhonestman said:

Looks like the league has already split in two. We're looking at 6th at best now.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

6th would be a fucking miracle. If we can somehow be 8th at worst after game 35 I will be absolutely delighted. 

As [mention=61979]D'Jaffo[/mention] has just on the matchday forum, the centre backs of McGinty, Fjortoft and Baird are hit and miss liabilities.
I think Muirhead needs to be slotted back into CB IMO

Aye I’d genuinely try McAllister at centre back alongside Muirhead but there’s no chance that Duffy drops all three of the centre backs that started today. I’d probably settle for Muirhead and one of the other 3 stooges.

In McGinty’s defence he looked ok in a back 4.  Despite losing 1 goal in 3 games, we suddenly decided to go to a back 3 and we definitely looked the worse for it - reminded me of the first half against Arbroath where no one seemed sure who was doing what.