The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

7 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Thinking of replacements, I'd love to see James McFadden given real consideration.

As talented a footballer as the national team has had over recent years and who played at a really high standard at club level as well. You'd think teams he coaches would play the game in an entertaining manner at least.

McFadden and someone like Kettlewell who has had experience or someone he'd worked with like Keith Lasley who has been coaching for a while could work. 

Do we as fans have to consider that if we change our manager again and appoint an acceptable replacement we may have to accept that he may not save us from relegation?

Considering the poor quality and imbalance of the current squad is one transfer window sufficient to save us?

4 minutes ago, JohnGAYR said:

Do we as fans have to consider that if we change our manager again and appoint an acceptable replacement we may have to accept that he may not save us from relegation?

Considering the poor quality and imbalance of the current squad is one transfer window sufficient to save us?

This is the reality - we may still go down. We need to get the managerial appointment right and sign 5/6 first teamers while shipping some wasters out. Its not going to be easy.

If Duffy goes I think its still 50/50 we finish bottom. If we keep him, I reckon we're a stick on for bottom (90%).

Edited by Trogdor

When Duffy goes I doubt our next manager will be someone as experienced. It was either in the B&W interview or the Spiers podcast but Mathie used the term "head coach" a few times which would suggest it'll be someone who's remit will mostly be training, tactics and team selection whilst Mathie will take more control over recruitment, hopefully with some input from whoever is in the dugout. For that reason I can see it being a young manager who's happy to work under Mathie and not have full control over the playing side. John McGlynn and Dick Campbell are, IMO, the two outstanding managers in this league right now and they work so well at their respective clubs because they are given so much free reign to do what they like. I don't think they'd work so well with someone like Mathie who will want to implement his own ideas on the club. 

It would be hard to get him purely because of how well Kelty are doing right now but I could see us trying to get someone like Kevin Thomson in. I've no idea if he'd be any good but I think our next guy will be a young manager who has had at least one other job or has been working as a coach at a bigger club.

3 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Levein would be a decent appointment as well. Would he move West though?

It comes down to where we train. Hopkin had us training at Cambusdoon, McCall had us training in Glasgow. Training at Cumnock would be easier for central belt based players than the arse end of Ayr.

He’s at the BBC almost every day so it wouldn’t be a stretch for him to be in Ayr 3-4 times a week. Depends what we would pay him. 

Just now, BukyOHare said:

Has been interviewed for the Morton job apparently, he and others clearly think he's a possible to step up. 

Aye, I was just trying to think of someone readily available who has done alright and might take a 6 month deal with a view to a longer one. 

I'd hate us to appoint another chump on a three year deal.

Yeah I agree with the above. We were told Mathie doesn't make rash decisions and whilst emptying Duffy isn't exactly "rash" he might want stuff like an interim coaching staff all lined up before we put anything out. 

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

I’d like Craig Levein, he can spot a player and has plenty of experience.

Your problem is that you have a team set up far too defensively, a squad of underperformers, and a manager for whom there is an excuse for everything. You appoint Craig Levein. Now you have two problems.

As for timing of any replacement: it's fucking Christmas week. There is no tactful time to do it. Sooner rather than later would be better. If it isn't Monday morning then it'll be January, by which point I hope the club has invested in strong chicken wire for any out-facing windows.

Edited by Thumper

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

Levein would be a decent appointment as well. Would he move West though?

Does he even still want to get back into football management? After his health issues then the hassle that comes with being a manager might be less appealing

5 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Does he even still want to get back into football management? After his health issues then the hassle that comes with being a manager might be less appealing

He said he would but joked no team would have him. If you look at the Brechin team, he’s brought in some left field signings and lined up 1 or 2 players for St Johnston.

We need a personality to come in and lift the place. 

I had my hopes up for Levein when him and Smith were on the radio together the day before we appointed Hopkin.

Turned out to be nothing of course. I reckon his job at Brechin will be too cushy to want to start managing this dumpster fire of a squad.

36 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I reckon his job at Brechin will be too cushy to want to start managing this dumpster fire of a squad.

This time last week nobody saw us with a new Managing Director. 

As a full time Championship club, with an enthusiastic and committed owner, there are definitely a lot of positives to attract the right candidate.