The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

I think a few of us may have had too much to drink tonight. Maybe you should save some for tomorrow- got to stay up for the bells and all…

I'm stone cold sober so setting myself up for spectacular disappointment when it's Martin Canning tomorrow or worst of all no news

3 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

The wee guy from McBookie, will be away on holiday after conning money out at all those fans with his odds on Bartley and Co , when it’s someone not in the betting or was long odds who gets the job 

10/1 is long odds 👀 #JACKROSSINFAM

FHIEdznXEAIkMA8?format=jpg&name=small

3 minutes ago, rb123! said:

I'm stone cold sober so setting myself up for spectacular disappointment when it's Martin Canning tomorrow or worst of all no news

Why spectacular disappointment with someone who has so much coaching experience since leaving a poisoned chalice club , guy rated very highly as a coach , kept the lowest budgeted team in Premiership 2 years running , but thinks himself he is more a coach than a manager  

5 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Why spectacular disappointment with someone who has so much coaching experience since leaving a poisoned chalice club , guy rated very highly as a coach , kept the lowest budgeted team in Premiership 2 years running , but thinks himself he is more a coach than a manager  

Fair point, will need good backroom staff around him plus didn't realise he'd been doing this coach at all these clubs around Britain, probably explains why he has never had the time to put himself all over the media saying he's looking for work

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Ultimately he kept Hamilton up two years in a row, which isn’t a bad achievement...

We really need Hamilton fans to give us more of an insight though. 

I remember opening League cup game in the McCall relegation year, penalty after 2 mins, Forrest scores and the Hamilton fans are singing about sacking Canning. 

Your surely not appointing Canning? Be aswell keeping Duffy until the end of the season.

A total loser of a manager who lives on completely shitfesting Hamilton to safety a couple of times despite taking over a squad that could comfortably have finished much higher for a couple of years. He took over a Hamilton side sitting 3rd in the league in mid-January with 5 losses all season, and went on to lose his first 4 games, winless in 13. I don't think they ever even looked like finishing higher than 10th in any full season he was there. 

He then demolished that squad, which remember had been 3rd in January, and turned them into a total clownshoe outfit who pretty much survived the bottom two by either 1 point or goal difference every season as he couldn't spot a player to save himself.

His tactics consisteted of him trying to create a shitfest, hoofball, outfit, but being totally unable to do that so his sides were just camped deep and wide open.

A totally bizarre appointment which suggests absolutely no lessons have been learned after Hopkin or Duffy.

Edited by RandomGuy.

I remember opening League cup game in the McCall relegation year, penalty after 2 mins, Forrest scores and the Hamilton fans are singing about sacking Canning. 

Did Jobby not come out after that game and have a go at the away fans for being too harsh?

They seemed to shout for his head every single time Accies conceded a goal in his tenure.

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

Did Jobby not come out after that game and have a go at the away fans for being too harsh?

They seemed to shout for his head every single time Accies conceded a goal in his tenure.

Probably because he took over the best Hamilton squad theres likely ever been, who were cast iron certainties for Europe in a really weak top flight, and dragged them into a horrendous winless run before destroying the squad and tactics over a Summer. 

Keeping them up a few times is the minimum he should've achieved with the squad he inherited.

Probably because he took over the best Hamilton squad theres likely ever been, who were cast iron certainties for Europe in a really weak top flight, and dragged them into a horrendous winless run before destroying the squad and tactics over a Summer. 
Keeping them up a few times is the minimum he should've achieved with the squad he inherited.

It’s impossible to say with any certainty what a team was going to achieve. Alex Neil is also one of the best managers they had and once he left they were never going to keep their run up. Would’ve likely fell away even if Neil stayed.

Still, it’s an entirely different situation if he gets the Ayr job tbh. Mathie will help him out a great deal and there will be a budget in place that will help build him a decent team. I can guarantee you that I’d rather roll the dice with him that stick with Duffy, who would’ve definitely taken us down.

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Yeah he was just doing a shite job with them and the better players didn't want to stay.  No wonder they hated him, no wins in his first 13 league matches.  Hard to recover without going a really good run at some point IMO.

Whether it was too early or just the wrong fit I don't know but he did bad. 

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Your surely not appointing Canning? Be aswell keeping Duffy until the end of the season.

Aaaaand it begins.....

14 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Bit like us then with Duffy for the last 2 months lol

Yeah he was just doing a shite job with them and the better players didn't want to stay.  No wonder they hated him, no wins in his first 13 league matches.  Hard to recover without going a really good run at some point IMO.
Whether it was too early or just the wrong fit I don't know but he did bad. 

Aye he never got any sort of new manager bounce in the beginning and at no point in his tenure did he get a run of wins together to start looking up the table. Couple that with as you say his better players wanting to leave and the whole club looking like a shambles off the park and he was really up against it. Kinda strikes me as a Mark Kerr situation where he was never ready for management and never got the chance to be properly bedded in. Maybe he’s learnt from his mistakes and maybe the infrastructure we’re building off the park will be better suited to him but there’s really no way to know.

As I said, Mathie has convinced me that whoever we get in deserved a bit of good will so I’ll support the guy until he starts making it worse. It would take a tremendous effort from him to make it worse than it already is in fairness.

11 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

If it gets worse then at least it'll be entertaining.  

Duffy's worst crime was that we were shite and boring.  If you have to be shite you should be hilarious IMO. 

That's what made the Ayr United team that narrowly avoided relegation to League 2 fucking amazing.

Craig Beattie at centreback. Poundland Stevo in midfield. David Hutton in nets.

1 minute ago, Richey Edwards said:

That's what made the Ayr United team that narrowly avoided relegation to League 2 fucking amazing.

Craig Beattie at centreback. Poundland Stevo in midfield. David Hutton in nets.

Honestly what a season, Hugh Clark off the park. 

Club signing random players like Paul Slane full time, Roberts saying it's great cause he'll get to.work on stuff with him.  Slane picking the ball on the right wing and running it out of play on the left wing every time :lol:

JP McGovern arrives a winger and finishes the season as a centre back alongside Nicky Devlin via central midfield. 

This year our goalie threw some toilet roll

21 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Honestly what a season, Hugh Clark off the park. 

Club signing random players like Paul Slane full time, Roberts saying it's great cause he'll get to.work on stuff with him.  Slane picking the ball on the right wing and running it out of play on the left wing every time :lol:

JP McGovern arrives a winger and finishes the season as a centre back alongside Nicky Devlin via central midfield. 

This year our goalie threw some toilet roll

I forgot about Slane LMAO.