The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

First half was a disaster. Didn't look like doing much for about 10 minutes or so of the 2nd. The changes made a big difference for us and if you're being picky you could say we might have nicked it with the chance through on goal. Continually starting games as pish as that will really cost us. Showing the eagerness and effort that got us back into it is encouraging but we need to be seeing that more often. Took far too long to actually have a go.

If Bullen is talking about learning then he’ll have learnt a lot today. If you’re going to play someone in front of defence then they still need to be comfortable enough on the ball and have a range of passing good enough to start attacks. Muirhead isn’t either of these things and if you play him there’s it’s not much different from a 5 at the back. Either drop the position and play a number 10 or another striker or sign someone that can play in that role. FWIW I think we will sign another midfielder and I pray to god a centre half. If we get those two things and they are half decent I think we’ll stay up.

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

If Bullen is talking about learning then he’ll have learnt a lot today. If you’re going to play someone in front of defence then they still need to be comfortable enough on the ball and have a range of passing good enough to start attacks. Muirhead isn’t either of these things and if you play him there’s it’s not much different from a 5 at the back. Either drop the position and play a number 10 or another striker or sign someone that can play in that role. FWIW I think we will sign another midfielder and I pray to god a centre half. If we get those two things and they are half decent I think we’ll stay up.

Aye, it was really painful watching Muirhead at times today. The number of times he gave the ball away easily when there a was a good attacking passing option available was very frustrating.

Aye, it was really painful watching Muirhead at times today. The number of times he gave the ball away easily when there a was a good attacking passing option available was very frustrating.

I’m still not sure if that is his preferred formation or whether he’s doing it because he thinks it’s helping the defence. It’s clear it’s not helping as we still concede ridiculous goals and if Bullen wants that sorted then we sign a centre back.

If it’s preferred formation then that’s fine but we still need a centre half and a holding midfielder.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’m still not sure if that is his preferred formation or whether he’s doing it because he thinks it’s helping the defence. It’s clear it’s not helping as we still concede ridiculous goals and if Bullen wants that sorted then we sign a centre back.

If it’s preferred formation then that’s fine but we still need a centre half and a holding midfielder.

It has baffled me for a while that sticking him there seems to be our go to option. I don't think having Muirhead there has ever made our defence look steadier/ more composed. If anything we look shakier as he is constantly giving the ball away.

8 minutes ago, AuAl said:

Muirhead is not the problem. Its the other center halfs

2 minutes ago, Ayr145 said:

Muirhead is not the problem. Its the other center halfs

Yes the centre half options are our biggest problem currently but the solution is not sticking Muirhead Infront of them, I feel it just invites more pressure onto us as he is not capable of playing that protector/deep creator role.

Well if thats the case the whole team are the problem. The center halfs are the problem, hes a midfielder

The centre halves are the issue when it comes to losing cheap goals from crosses and stuff like that. Full backs also have to take responsibility too.

Muirhead is part of the problem when it comes to the fact that he cannot play simple passes and shows no composure which is a bit of an issue when you are playing in midfield.

It’s all well and good to go and sign another centre half and yeah maybe you cut down the amount of goals you’ll concede a bit but it’s arguably just as important if not more important to get Muirhead out, either for another midfielder or a striker who can help us retain possession, get us further up the pitch and take the pressure off the back four. Playing Muirhead means that when you actually manage to win the ball back there isn’t anyone in that position that is able to pick a pass. He just kicks the ball in whatever direction he is facing.

Brutal stuff from Ayr again.  A 5 man midfield that can’t retain any possession and one hopelessly (or is that hopeless) isolated striker up front.  

We simply cannot continue with these failed tactics and with Muirhead in midfield - I don’t blame the guy as it’s not his fault that he's been played out of position all season, but his distribution and use of the ball is simply horrendous. .  Only bright spots were Maxwell who is.clearly our best midfielder so was obviously dropped to the bench and the new striker who looked to have a bit of pace and movement.  Dempsey getting injured probably leaves us back to square one in terms of fixing the shape of the midfield.

Was really disappointed with Gondoh - I understood he was direct and pacy, but he looked a yard too slow and miles out his depth.