The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

23 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye maybe 

But that’s on the assumption that the likes of Dunfermline improve significantly and get their recruitment spot on. Then depending on who else comes up from the playoffs, if anyone. 

It’s always a tough League and we’ll need to ensure we do well in signing players but it’s the biggest load of pish ever for folk to be writing next season off just because Dipo will leave. We didn’t exactly get lucky with him in the way we did with Adeloye. Adeloye was a complete panic signing after Todorov and Ugwu went elsewhere. Actual time and effort went into looking at Akinyemi and the club were confident he’d be a good signing. They’ve made other signings that haven’t worked well and equally they’ve made other signings that have paid off. I think we’ll be absolutely fine. 

I think we'd be fine as well, but probably looking at 7th or 8th

1 hour ago, blackislekillie said:

Cheer up. You might get us. 

I hope so. Was at the Aberdeen vs  killie game today (my partner is aberdonian).
You guys looked only a tad more abject and clueless than we do week in week out. For once I fancied us in a game. 

1 hour ago, AyrAtlanta said:

Couldn’t help but think today felt like a run of the mill game against pish like Stenny or Forfar from about 8 or 9 years ago. Flat atmosphere, zero ability on the park and a general feeling of why the f**k am I putting myself through this.

Shame as I was looking forward to the last stretch of home games which would’ve had big crowds and a bit of excitement had we been in any way decent at soccer.

eric-morecambe.gif

52 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye maybe 

But that’s on the assumption that the likes of Dunfermline improve significantly and get their recruitment spot on. Then depending on who else comes up from the playoffs, if anyone. 

It’s always a tough League and we’ll need to ensure we do well in signing players but it’s the biggest load of pish ever for folk to be writing next season off just because Dipo will leave. We didn’t exactly get lucky with him in the way we did with Adeloye. Adeloye was a complete panic signing after Todorov and Ugwu went elsewhere. Actual time and effort went into looking at Akinyemi and the club were confident he’d be a good signing. They’ve made other signings that haven’t worked well and equally they’ve made other signings that have paid off. I think we’ll be absolutely fine. 

Dunfermline are a decent team with decent money,a bigger support and facilities that were built in the last century. They’ll do fine. Easily push us. 

Also, teams will come down. Dundee UTD are a magnitude larger than Queen’s Park or even Dundee. plus there’s always the chance of a Ross county or killie coming down (saw them today and they looked ramcid). It’ll be a much much stronger league next year. We won’t have cove to scud every 5 games anyway. 

I think we’ll have a dreary mid table finish, in an undignified scrap for 6/7/8th with Morton and Raith. It’ll be shite and Ayr will just continue to be lower end championship fodder. Which will just be depressing. 

The issue with Dunfermline and Falkirk coming up is that they will have 3 or 4 times more season ticket holders than us.  Money talks and the likelihood is that they are exactly the sort of teams who will be able to outbid us for Josh Mullin.  If we are to compete we’ll have to find gems from down south or elsewhere, which will require a step improvement in the standard of our recruitment.  It seems like shit or bust at the moment - for every Akinyemi, Dempsey or Kirk, there seems to be a Bangala, Maguire or Ashford.  

I worry that we’re also being too loyal to “young” players like Houston and McKenzie who’ve had plenty of opportunities but show absolutely no sign of developing.  I saw a post earlier saying McKenzie should be loaned out to gain experience, which seems a bit disconnected from reality when you consider he has over 100 appearances for Ayr.

8 hours ago, CoolLesterSmooth said:

Dunfermline are a decent team with decent money,a bigger support and facilities that were built in the last century. They’ll do fine. Easily push us. 

Also, teams will come down. Dundee UTD are a magnitude larger than Queen’s Park or even Dundee. plus there’s always the chance of a Ross county or killie coming down (saw them today and they looked ramcid). It’ll be a much much stronger league next year. We won’t have cove to scud every 5 games anyway. 

I think we’ll have a dreary mid table finish, in an undignified scrap for 6/7/8th with Morton and Raith. It’ll be shite and Ayr will just continue to be lower end championship fodder. Which will just be depressing. 

Yeah, just like they were when they were relegated the last time......

9 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye maybe 

In real terms Bangala has been the only write off as everyone else has played a part to some extent or other and has contributed towards the fact of us being in the top 4 all season long.

I get that some are disappointed but maybe they need to temper their expectation levels a bit and enjoy the fact that we're playing and most definitely competing with Morton, Thistle, Dundee etc as opposed to lining up against Albion Rovers, East Fife and Montrose every week which for many of us is not in the too distant past.....

9 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I'm gutted with how the Maguire signing has turned out. Honestly thought hed waltz this league as he was a player whenever I watch EFL highlights. Yes he had months out due the ban/hearing but by fck hes done. 

He was the best player on the park 2 weeks ago and in fact looked "a class above" as many on this forum commented at the time.

I'd reckon most clubs in the league both this season and next will have a similar if not better budget than ourselves, so I don't think it will be just as simple as some are making out to go out and sign 7 or 8 new players who will all be an upgrade on the guys we already have just now, if it was, then everyone would be doing the same and if based on budgets then 7th or 8th would probably be the best we could hope for.

Whatever way you look at it this has been a successful season but some would appear to have personal issues with our ownership and our Management team so irrespective of what happens they'll just be negative and almost take satisfaction when we have a poor result which personally I find totally pathetic.....

3 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

He was the best player on the park 2 weeks ago and in fact looked "a class above" as many on this forum commented at the time.

Not sure who was saying Maguire looked a class above.  He had a couple of good moments against one of the worst championship teams I’ve ever seen .  Otherwise he tired badly and largely disappeared out the game in the 2nd half.  Beyond that, he’s done nothing in an Ayr jersey, save collect a large wage.  I hoped we might get him fit and he might be one we could build around for next season - but honestly, he looks completely done.

19 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Against fucking Cove, grow up. 

45 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I get that some are disappointed but maybe they need to temper their expectation levels a bit and enjoy the fact that we're playing and most definitely competing with Morton, Thistle, Dundee etc as opposed to lining up against Albion Rovers, East Fife and Montrose every week which for many of us is not in the too distant past.....

Hiya Uncle Ian, hiya pal.

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Yeah, just like they were when they were relegated the last time......

They made the truly remarkable decision to sign John Hughes to save them. In terms of wishing for an event to save the club again this is akin to wishing for another massive Covid outbreak.

The notion that the league was stronger this season compared to last is very silly. Most of Kilmarnock's first team would still be the best players in their respective positions this season, and Arbroath had Nouble for half the season.

But right on queue here's Wattoo to inform everyone that actually Sam Ashford is a perfectly good player and basically everyone has an irrational prejudice against the board and manager.

Unusual the type of malaise surrounding everyone considering our league position and what's left to play for. Understandable if we were mid table with nothing to play for and just going through the motions. 

Is anyone genuinely excited or mildly enthused about the rest of the season, or looking forward to a Saturday and not now just going out of habit? 

17 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Hiya Uncle Ian, hiya pal.

I don't think it's fair to compare McCall correctly complaining about the piss-poor financial situation at the time tying his hands with the current fantasists who have to imply that the McCall era was somehow worse than now in terms of football terms in order to excuse how bad the football is now.

3 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Unusual the type of malaise surrounding everyone considering our league position and what's left to play for. Understandable if we were mid table with nothing to play for and just going through the motions.

Call it Cowdenbeath 5-2 syndrome, coupled with the very clear future expectation that cup runs will be treated as reserves games.

Not sure how much weaker the league is this season. It's been the same for a long while in that many of the bigger/big spending don't seem to put a decent side together. There are one or two exceptions but in the main few win weekly and run away with it like the other leagues. 

This season QP have put in a decent effort  and likewise Morton have punched above their budget. Mid table next season might not be a bad effort depending on who else is in the division. Whilst our owners will put extra money in i can't see a massive change in player funding until the new stand is open and revenue generating. 

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

I don't think it's fair to compare McCall correctly complaining about the piss-poor financial situation at the time tying his hands with the current fantasists who have to imply that the McCall era was somehow worse than now in terms of football terms in order to excuse how bad the football is now.

I was more referencing the "Remember where we were X years ago..." nature of the post I quoted.

For the record - there is no argument that McCall didn't have the same financial resources as Bullen. The chairman is on record saying as much.

Edited by Trogdor

45 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Is anyone genuinely excited or mildly enthused about the rest of the season, or looking forward to a Saturday and not now just going out of habit? 

It certainly feels like the club and the team are going through the motions at the moment.

Where is the blood and thunder, the will to win? That was a huge game on Saturday. Had we won that we'd probably have top 4 secured and an outside shot at the title. You wouldn't have known it!

Usually when playing into the SRE in the second half and seeking a winner we would suck the ball into the net, its hard to do that when the ball is launched into the air or when it's spending more time at the railway end.

Performances are insipid which is impacting the atmosphere at home and generally sapping the fans enthusiasm. I don't blame any of the fans it really is turgid to watch.

Did we have any real clear cut chances yesterday? It's not like we are creating loads of chances and missing sitters. We're relying on Dipo scoring from 30 yards or a set piece at the minute. It's what it is.

Whilst our tactic remains launch it in the air for a 50/50 and win the second ball (which we seem wholly incapable of doing). It's energy sapping. 

I've said it before - I remain on the fence where Bullen is concerned. By the metric of points on the board, he's been an undoubted success. However, the style of football - particularly at home has been hard to watch for the vast majority of the season.  It really is a derivation of what Hopkin and Duffy were doing with Dipo Akinyemi attached to it.