The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

It's so odd that we're 4 points off the top of the league, and we also still have to play 2nd place at home and yet it feels entirely 'meh'.  If you'd said we'd be in this position at the end of last season every single Ayr fan would have bitten your hand off for that, even more so after the disastrous league cup group stage.  But it just feels like there's a bit of an apathy about it now.  Felt everything about the game on Saturday was just a bit flat.  

The reality is that this squad was probably assembled with the goal of mid-table safety, especially after the last two seasons of staying up on the final day, and it looks like - at worst - that target will be achieved.  The fact we have been up near the top for most of the season is probably a surprise to everyone, owing much to the fact that other teams have been inconsistent and Dipo turning out to be an absolute gem of a find.  In terms of what was the probable start of season target, it looks like this season has been a success.  

But it's going to feel like a failure given how things have gone since the turn of the year.  Not making the Scottish Cup semi-final despite an unbelievably favourable series of draws, coupled with potentially sliding out of the play-offs (I'd even consider scraping 4th to be a poor return considering we were top as recently as December) is quite the fall from where we were.  I can understand why the club resisted the temptation to chuck money during the January window - pickings are slim at this level and the signings are more of a risk (see R. McAlear) - so the off the pitch decisions don't bother me as much as the on the pitch ones.  

We all crictise hoofball as eye-bleedingly bad (and it is) but if it was working and we were able to string any sort of consistent results together then it would be justifiable.  However it's so easy for other teams to defend - it hasn't been working for some time and there appears to be no plan B; we don't even seem to have a plan to capitalise on the fact that Dipo usually attracts 2 defenders, meaning there will be space elsewhere for others.  On Saturday, that should have been considered 2 points dropped when you realise that Morton were down to 10 for a good chunk of the 2nd half but instead the mindset seems to be that because we came from behind it's well won point.  That's not the mentality you want or need if you are serious about pushing for titles.  

Edited by super_carson
Misread league table

42 minutes ago, super_carson said:

It's so odd that we're 4 points off the top of the league, with a game in hand over the team currently in 1st (who we also still have to play at home)and yet it feels entirely 'meh'.  If you'd said we'd be in this position at the end of last season every single Ayr fan would have bitten your hand off for that, even more so after the disastrous league cup group stage.  But it just feels like there's a bit of an apathy about it now.  Felt everything about the game on Saturday was just a bit flat.  

The reality is that this squad was probably assembled with the goal of mid-table safety, especially after the last two seasons of staying up on the final day, and it looks like - at worst - that target will be achieved.  The fact we have been up near the top for most of the season is probably a surprise to everyone, owing much to the fact that other teams have been inconsistent and Dipo turning out to be an absolute gem of a find.  In terms of what was the probable start of season target, it looks like this season has been a success.  

But it's going to feel like a failure given how things have gone since the turn of the year.  Not making the Scottish Cup semi-final despite an unbelievably favourable series of draws, coupled with potentially sliding out of the play-offs (I'd even consider scraping 4th to be a poor return considering we were top as recently as December) is quite the fall from where we were.  I can understand why the club resisted the temptation to chuck money during the January window - pickings are slim at this level and the signings are more of a risk (see R. McAlear) - so the off the pitch decisions don't bother me as much as the on the pitch ones.  

We all crictise hoofball as eye-bleedingly bad (and it is) but if it was working and we were able to string any sort of consistent results together then it would be justifiable.  However it's so easy for other teams to defend - it hasn't been working for some time and there appears to be no plan B; we don't even seem to have a plan to capitalise on the fact that Dipo usually attracts 2 defenders, meaning there will be space elsewhere for others.  On Saturday, that should have been considered 2 points dropped when you realise that Morton were down to 10 for a good chunk of the 2nd half but instead the mindset seems to be that because we came from behind it's well won point.  That's not the mentality you want or need if you are serious about pushing for titles.  

This post sums up how I feel. Tonight, there are some massively fundamental fixtures for Ayr but there is just so much apathy. In a parallel universe there is a plethora of posts from Ayr fans are pontificating what the most advantageous results might be. In the real world, I’m boiling potatoes to go with goulash but wondering if I shouldn’t have done rice. 

Just now, 1nickydevlin said:

I think the cup exit to Falkirk has scunnerd 99% of our support .our league position should have us all  excited for a playoff place but that just isn't the case .

Let that be their problem then.

Teams from higher leagues get knocked out of the cup, it happens, to better teams than us as well. Whether folk want to accept that or not is upto them, a lot of glasses are half empty, it happens.

Folk bang on about our "easy" cup run and I really do get it, but Falkirk have had just as "easy" a run as we have. Wick Academy, Darvel, Alloa and one of the worst Championship teams the world has ever seen, gets them to the Semi Finals.

The playoffs, if we get there, gives us a chance. A chance nobody gave us at the start of the season.

If it doesn't happen for whatever reason, then we'll try again, and  again, and then again, and then again after that.

18 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

I really doubt we’ll be getting a new left back unless someone comes in for Reading. Best alternative is hoping Ecrepont can step up. 

Right back is a priority though and given both our current ones are out of contract there is no reason why we cannot upgrade in that position. Any of Tumilty, Lawson at Accies, Liam Smith or basically anyone better than Houston will do. Keep McAllister as cover. 

Regardless of if we still have Reading on the books, if we start next season with him as a first choice left back it is completely unacceptable. To either not notice the sun-par performances and other teams actively targeting a player every week, or notice but refuse to fix it, is not good enough. It’s potentially our weakest position on the park and we absolutely have to sign a first choice, Championship quality player.

59 minutes ago, super_carson said:

It's so odd that we're 4 points off the top of the league, with a game in hand over the team currently in 1st (who we also still have to play at home)and yet it feels entirely 'meh'. 

It’s the other way about, 1st has a game in hand on us. If we were in this position I’d still be (against all logic) hopeful.

37 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

AIt’s the other way about, 1st has a game in hand on us. If we were in this position I’d still be (against all logic) hopeful.

My mistake, misread the table. 

Edited by super_carson

17 minutes ago, super_carson said:

My mistake, misread the table. 

Even at that though, you'd like to think being four points off the top when you still have to play that team at home would be a  favourable situation. 

We don’t have to play them at home! The away game was our last one against Dundee this season.

The defeat away to Queens was the start of these apathetic feelings, for me. 

Zero fight in a game that would have been a massive step in the right direction in terms of going for the title.

The subsequent performances were equally as bad if not worse (Morton away aside) culminating in the defeat at Falkirk which will end up defining the season.

Only saw there that we have only taken half of all available points at home this season which is less (by 2 points) than we have taken from the same number of away games (16 each).  

From our home games compared to last year we currently have two extra points with two games less played.  

Not good.  Won't help grow the fanbase. 

Edited by itzdrk

2 hours ago, 1nickydevlin said:

I think the cup exit to Falkirk has scunnerd 99% of our support .our league position should have us all  excited for a playoff place but that just isn't the case .

The fact there's not a single supporters bus going to Partick on Saturday when we're 4th in the league, 4 points off top with just 4 games to go is quite frankly embarrassing. 

And that's not aimed towards the people that organise buses it's just a general opinion of where we seem to be at the moment, they keep waving off this #WeAreUnited but i don't see a lot of it about. 

As you say since Falkirk everyone seems to have given up, shocking from the club also IMO that they're not stepping in to facilitate buses, can understand though them not wanting a lot to do with it for the usual stuff like drink on board etc. 

19 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Only saw there that we have only taken half of all available points at home this season which is less (by 2 points) than we have taken from the same number of away games (16 each).  

From our home games compared to last year we currently have two extra points with two games less played.  

Not good.  Won't help grow the fanbase. 

We’ve had precisely 3 enjoyable home games all season. Dundee, QP and Partick. I think every season it’s our home form that lets us down but this season it’s been especially poor. I’ve only been able to get to one away game all season as well. 

There’s been so many home games that we’ve threw away. Cove and Accies earlier in the season. Both games against Caley for different reasons. Dundee at Christmas. 

14 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Is Robert Snodgrass too old to be signing in hope for the last few games of the season? Or has he played for too many clubs this season? 🤔

Or is he just p**h? Upgrade on Ashford? 🤔

Apparently we nearly signed him years ago.