The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

5 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Just as an aside, does anyone else get absolutely raging that we are still allowing Paddy Reading to hit free kicks from his side? We might as well roll it out for a fucking goal kick. 

McAlear is meant to be good at them, so surely we are better with him on them all rather than Reading - regardless of which side it is. 

There is nothing Paddy reading does that doesn't annoy me. 

5 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

There is nothing Paddy reading does that doesn't annoy me. 

Fair point - I was actually thinking to myself that he wasn’t as catastrophically shite as normal on Saturday, but then he went and did three brain dead things in about a thirty second period. I can’t even remember what they all were, but sure one was an awful attempt at a tackle and then his trademark of being caught under a ball. 

We complain about Paddy Reading but truth be told, he should have been replaced in January. He's been one of Ayrs weaker performers all season. Really, it was down to Bullen to improve the defence in January and didn't, hence why we're staring 5th place in the face 😒

17 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

We complain about Paddy Reading but truth be told, he should have been replaced in January. He's been one of Ayrs weaker performers all season. Really, it was down to Bullen to improve the defence in January and didn't, hence why we're staring 5th place in the face 😒

New fullbacks in the summer are an absolute must. No excuses. If the recruitment team have not identified some targets already then they need their baws booted.

4 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

New fullbacks in the summer are an absolute must. No excuses. If the recruitment team have not identified some targets already then they need their baws booted.

Reghan Tumilty and Lewis Strapp, come on down. 

I really doubt we’ll be getting a new left back unless someone comes in for Reading. Best alternative is hoping Ecrepont can step up. 

Right back is a priority though and given both our current ones are out of contract there is no reason why we cannot upgrade in that position. Any of Tumilty, Lawson at Accies, Liam Smith or basically anyone better than Houston will do. Keep McAllister as cover. 

On 08/04/2023 at 22:09, D'Jaffo said:

I think Maguire throws a huge spanner in the works when he plays. He’s slow and it’s almost as if his body can’t do what his brain plans out. There were a few times when he tried to pick out the right pass but it didn’t work. I think when you play him then you need to give him options and unfortunately McKenzie and Ashford don’t do that. Was a gamble by the club getting him in but it’s not worked out for us. I think he’ll be away in the summer. 

Nailed it, when he was at Sunderland and Lincoln, he still had the physical ability to carry out what he was trying, but as mentioned above he's been out too long and I can't see him coming back to anywhere near that level.
Reminds me of Defoe when he rejoined Sunderland, knew what he wanted to do but the body simply couldn't make it anymore.

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

Maguire the new spacegoat.

I wouldn't go that far, he's just carrying an expectation of being the player of a few years ago.
There's far worse than him in the squad.