The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Bullen will be here next season of that I have no doubt, and I'm not even calling for him to go. Doesn't mean I can't have a moan about him though.

Personally this team and manager bore the arse off me, and have for a while now.

2 minutes ago, muZZa__44 said:

my worst fear if we sack Bullen is we'll just bring in Moffat as Manager another yes-man for Mathie and Smith

Whit? 

What evidence is there to suggest that Mathie would appoint Moffat? And what would make you think Bullen is some sort of “yes man”. Is Mathie picking the team now? 

I’m not overly happy with the way Bullen sets the team up but come on we have to get behind the team, and yes I agree with someone who posted, we play two guys who are never wingers and keep two natural wingers on the bench it really is worrying.

play 4-5-1 on Saturday and I think we have a chance with a midfield of

O’Connor, Dempsey ,Murdoch, anybody but Mcaleer , Mitchell Lawson

two attacking guys and three holding players, it’s the midfield we have to win , do that and we have a chance.

2 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Wattoo is playing a blinder here. Get him in at left back I say.

It's no secret, I've stated on lots of occasions that I believe this is as good a season as we've had in decades and I'm not willing or able to change that view just because we've had a poor run of form and a few terrible performances in the past couple of months.

I agree the style hasn't been great recently, however we did have some great attacking display's earlier in the season and despite all the doom and gloom we could still finish 2nd or 3rd in the league which nobody would believe if reading this forum recently.

Shoot me for taking a pragmatic view of things but I'm afraid that's where I stand on it.

4 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

It's no secret, I've stated on lots of occasions that I believe this is as good a season as we've had in decades and I'm not willing or able to change that view just because we've had a poor run of form and a few terrible performances in the past couple of months.

I agree the style hasn't been great recently, however we did have some great attacking display's earlier in the season and despite all the doom and gloom we could still finish 2nd or 3rd in the league which nobody would believe if reading this forum recently.

Shoot me for taking a pragmatic view of things but I'm afraid that's where I stand on it.

I think there are numerous posters who are too far on the side of negativity, however you are clearly too far on the opposite side…

It isn’t going to be our best season in decades if we finish outside the top four, and the chances of us being outside them this weekend are pretty high! We are clearly far far more likely to finish 5th or 6th than 2nd at this point. 

34 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I know your views mate. I'd say you are more optimist than pragmatic, but that's a matter of perspective.

The general negativity is really borne of frustration, it is turning into a case of "what might of been" or "this is what you could have won" this season. We've also been horribly inconsistent.

I was looking at stats yesterday and we had 24 points on the 29th October and were top, having played 13 games (1.85 PPG). We've subsequently amassed 26 points in 19 games (1.37 PPG). Only 2 points more having played 6 more games. That's what has done us in! 

I've been slowly getting more demoralised since we lost the Queens Park game away at the start of February, then losing to Falkirk away mid March in the Cup. In our last 10 league games we have 3 wins, 2 draws and 5 losses. Its just not enough to be challenging and it's gonna be squeaky bum time for top 4.

I'll still be right behind the team on match day but its out of hope rather than expectation. I really do feel that this season is a big opportunity missed.

Edited by Trogdor

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

I do think you have a point. I have been an Ayr United supporter since 2000 and most of the seasons since then have been poor. Compared to those seasons, this one has been pretty good.

However, this has also been a frustrating season. The team has put in some really bad performances, seen a title challenge fade away and lost a winnable cup quarter-final to a lower league side. This season could and should have been better than it has been. It feels more like a missed opportunity than a successful season.

Yes, there have been some really good moments this season and some progress and these should be acknowledged. However, I don't think the negatives can be ignored either.

The season is not over though. Maybe there will be something to celebrate at the end of it after all? We can hope.

Edited by Richey Edwards
Sometimes I like to make noises at cats.

5 hours ago, WATTOO said:

On the subject of McAlear who I'd agree hasn't turned out as hoped, it should be noted that he was highly enough rated for Scotland to send the U21 assistant Manager down to Somerset to watch him as they had earmarked him for a call up.

So obviously it wasn't just our Management / Backroom team who were misguided.

Not one person is suggesting it was a bad signing on paper.   It's just badly backfired.  

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

This right here is the biggest cop out ever. Just because folk on an internet forum cannot name a better alternative, doe not justify questions not being asked of Bullen. 

Indeed, before we got my hero Lee 'Bully' Bullen interestingly nobody suggested we go get him in.  Must be shite on that basis. 

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

Indeed, before we got my hero Lee 'Bully' Bullen interestingly nobody suggested we go get him in.  Must be shite on that basis. 

Plus there’s no point speculating who we would get in as it’s almost certainly not going to be someone on the usual merry go round and will most likely be a coach making a step up to management. 

I would like to think that the next person we get will be slightly more experienced and established but I’m not sure that’s what Mathie wants. 

13 hours ago, AuAl said:

Very true. What a day it was a week later.

Unexpected title victory followed by celebrations on the pitch, in the stands and then the town center. Culminating in everyone (team included) in Harley's till early hours. 

What a team that was.

I've never been as drunk as I was that night.

It was the minute or so delay after Ayr beating Albion, waiting on the result in Kirkaldy 😬 sh*tting ma breeks...

It wasn't until Mcdaid jumped roughly ten foot in the Ayr that I realised Ayr had won the league and I was sprinting on the pitch towards Jamie Adams for a hug, with several others 😂

10 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

When the biggest and best result in your clubs history is beating Ayr United, then it is time to roll your club up and throw it in the bin.

This game forever annoys me. I swear when they scored, I was the only person in the Ayr end loudly swearing and cursing, in what seemed like complete silence. McCall was stood on the side the whole game, arms folded and looking uninterested.

Auchinleck shouldn't have been anywhere near winning that game against that Ayr team. I threw all my blame at Chris Higgins at the time. My gran could have done better.

The Falkirk game can be put down to shite tactics, no changes and relying on punting it up the park in hope of Akinyemi doing something with it...... No different to any other game of this season 😒

15 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

I genuinely fucking hate Auchinleck Talbot. Bunch of banjo playing inbreds from a village with f**k all going for it.

The disdain I had for Talbot has subsided somewhat since Darvel came on the scene with their Gretna tribute act.

Also their chairman's pies are shite.

Unsure about folk saying this is the best season we've had in decades. Up to December I'd have agreed but since then it's been shit. Outwith maybe 2 home games since then the games at Somerset have been woeful and I've been constantly clock watching to see when they would end. 

For me when the season ends it will be one of deflation in what could have been. 

49 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Unsure about folk saying this is the best season we've had in decades. Up to December I'd have agreed but since then it's been shit. Outwith maybe 2 home games since then the games at Somerset have been woeful and I've been constantly clock watching to see when they would end. 

For me when the season ends it will be one of deflation in what could have been. 

Maybe we could glue the good half of this season to the good half of the 2018/19 season to make one good season?

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

In terms of money spent and expectation, if we finish in the top 3 it beats the Daziel era and the McCall/Shankland era. 

If we finish 6th, it will be, on paper, an improvement on last season. In reality, we will have been in the top 4 all season and dropped out in the final 4 games which would feel like a massive failure. 

9 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

In terms of money spent and expectation, if we finish in the top 3 it beats the Daziel era and the McCall/Shankland era. 

If we finish 6th, it will be, on paper, an improvement on last season. In reality, we will have been in the top 4 all season and dropped out in the final 4 games which would feel like a massive failure. 

I’m interested in what you mean by money spent? I’d say that we’ll have spent more this year compared to the year we finished 4th under McCall. I’d actually say that the only clubs with higher budgets would be QP, Dundee and Partick so finishing 3rd or 4th should really be where we are at. 

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’m interested in what you mean by money spent? I’d say that we’ll have spent more this year compared to the year we finished 4th under McCall. I’d actually say that the only clubs with higher budgets would be QP, Dundee and Partick so finishing 3rd or 4th should really be where we are at. 

Spot on. There seems to be some fans that think we have one of the lowest budgets in the league. That is simply not the case.

8 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Spot on. There seems to be some fans that think we have one of the lowest budgets in the league. That is simply not the case.

Makes for a good story though. Plucky wee Ayr United punching above their weight.