The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

They signed a lot of very good championship players that have never quite made it in the premier league, That was enough to get them promoted. They then added to that some players that had been there the last time they got relegated. 

The only people surprised that their season has ended up this way is their fans. 

On the flip side of what you've described, Ive always wondered why Daniel Armstrong never seemed to get a look in when they were in the Championship last, yet is one of the few shining lights in this seasons team.

For perspective, he started 3 times in the Championship and played 344 minutes, left mainly on the bench as an unused sub.

He seems to have become an important player in a very short time. A player who showed glimpses of ability at Raith but seems to have really kicked on this season. As we saw with Shankland, it can sometimes just happen for a player that he finds consistency and his overall game along with belief and confidence grows as a result.

16 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

On the flip side of what you've described, Ive always wondered why Daniel Armstrong never seemed to get a look in when they were in the Championship last, yet is one of the few shining lights in this seasons team.

For perspective, he started 3 times in the Championship and played 344 minutes, left mainly on the bench as an unused sub.

He seems to have become an important player in a very short time. A player who showed glimpses of ability at Raith but seems to have really kicked on this season. As we saw with Shankland, it can sometimes just happen for a player that he finds consistency and his overall game along with belief and confidence grows as a result.

It can also happen that a player has play because the rest of the players in that position are either injured or crap, leading to the un in the team they needed. 

Robbie Crawford was a prime example of that, had he came through at any other time in the clubs recent history, he probably wouldn't have made it. Stick him in a midfield with Davie Sinclair (where is ForzaAyr?) and Ryan McStay and he became an important player within a few weeks. Same with Luke McCowan. I bet Bryden wishes he had the same game time as McCowan did in his first season. 

17 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

It can also happen that a player has play because the rest of the players in that position are either injured or crap, leading to the un in the team they needed. 

Robbie Crawford was a prime example of that, had he came through at any other time in the clubs recent history, he probably wouldn't have made it. Stick him in a midfield with Davie Sinclair (where is ForzaAyr?) and Ryan McStay and he became an important player within a few weeks. Same with Luke McCowan. I bet Bryden wishes he had the same game time as McCowan did in his first season. 

Bryden got way more game time in his first season and way earlier than McCowan did in his.  

Mccowan made 1 appearance in 17/18 which I'm happy to discount.

In 18/19 McCowan made 7 appearances at 21 years of age

In 21/22 Bryden made 11 appearances at 17 years of age.  

55 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Except that Luke McCowan was absolutely light years ahead of where Bryden is now that season - as was Crawford at that time. And as @itzdrksaid there is obviously the age thing too. 

Edited by No_Problemo

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

Armstrong looks a good player whenever I've watched Sportscene. Youre right in what you say, seems perplexing that he barely played in the championship yet is their main man in the Prem. An Ayr lad too I think

McCowan was playing in the Ayrshire District League for Lugar at 18 and Annbank at 19 so Bryden isn't doing too badly by comparison.

What he does need though is a loan to a L1-2 club in the summer for six months as he's one that's probably lacked enough playing time in the last 3-4 months to develop further.

3 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Bryden got way more game time in his first season and way earlier than McCowan did in his.  

Mccowan made 1 appearance in 17/18 which I'm happy to discount.

In 18/19 McCowan made 7 appearances at 21 years of age

In 21/22 Bryden made 11 appearances at 17 years of age.  

I’m not making comparisons on them as a player or their stage in their development.

Bryden could easily have been playing regularly this season if his main competition for a place was Ashford and McKenzie. Neither are prolific. Assuming we had Dipo and he was scoring zip.

We have Akinyemi scoring regularly though, and Bryden  is quite rightly not playing in front of him. 

9 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Hype game is strong on the official social media today. Fair fcks to you if you're buzzing for tonight. I'm a bit meh about it 😂

I just bought tickets. 

Against my better judgement, because every game I have been to this season we have played shite.