The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

14 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I was only hoping you were ITK. Didn’t realise you were so precious about people disagreeing with you. 

Players under contract aren’t easy to ship out. You either pay their contract up or rely on them finding a new club. Someone here claimed that we let Ashford go in January but had no takers. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the case with Reading. Might be different now it’s the summer and other clubs are looking to rebuild but it’s by no means a guarantee that Reading or Ashford will be away. 

Seems pretty clear to me that we will have to negotiate some players out the door before we can bring others in.  I’m sort of guessing that we might be pushing on an open door with the likes of Ashford and JML who might be happy to head back closer to home if they are facing limited game time.

am I the only person who thinks Finn should be given a chance to be first choice LB, thought he played well in his few starts he got on the opposite side of RB and then just one bad game at partick and he never gets a chance? If he ain’t good enough then I would say getting someone in

17 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I said before that Ecrepont has deserved a fair crack in the league cup. Owing both to Reading being abysmal and according to Stranraer fans he had a really good loan spell with them. If Bullen doesn’t at least give him two of the four league cup games then he’d be as well asking for his contract to be ripped up. 

He probably does deserve a crack but what happens in the event that it's clear he's out of his depth? By that point we're either scrambling about looking for a LB as someone like Strapp has been signed up at that point or forced to chuck Reading back in. I wouldn't even be against getting Reading out on loan and keeping Ecrepont as back up if we couldn't offload Reading completely. 

14 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I was only hoping you were ITK. Didn’t realise you were so precious about people disagreeing with you. 

Players under contract aren’t easy to ship out. You either pay their contract up or rely on them finding a new club. Someone here claimed that we let Ashford go in January but had no takers. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the case with Reading. Might be different now it’s the summer and other clubs are looking to rebuild but it’s by no means a guarantee that Reading or Ashford will be away. 

I'm absolutely not in the ITK, but I was told of concerns at the club for the LB position, I apologise for my preciousNESS if thats a thing. 

I agree on the rest of your comments, it's incredibly hard to just move player's on, we don't have a bottomless pit for players to just be paid off, possibly engineered to other clubs, deals, loan deals, but difficult indeed. 

2 minutes ago, muZZa__44 said:

am I the only person who thinks Finn should be given a chance to be first choice LB, thought he played well in his few starts he got on the opposite side of RB and then just one bad game at partick and he never gets a chance? If he ain’t good enough then I would say getting someone in

Just not sure on what basis we make that judgement.  Not really seen any opinions from Stranraer or Albion Rovers fans after his loan spells there, which might say something.  Reading has had a tough season, but at no stage did you get the impression that Bullen saw Ecrepont as a solution.  I saw him show up reasonably well at right back against pretty toothless Hamilton and Raith sides but was dismantled up at Partick and basically didn’t feature with the first team thereafter.  

The Dundee guys at work think Paul McMullan is heading our way personally I would not be surprised if he turned up at Dunfermline rather than us, they also believe that Dundee are interested in McAllister. The rumours getting into full swing 😉

22 minutes ago, Ayrmail said:

The Dundee guys at work think Paul McMullan is heading our way personally I would not be surprised if he turned up at Dunfermline rather than us, they also believe that Dundee are interested in McAllister. The rumours getting into full swing 😉

A mate of mine was absolutely convinced we had McMullan this time last year, be funny if he was proven right, just twelve months later. 

I still remember Paul McMullan as a wee guy absolutely taking the piss out of us for Stenhousemuir back in League 1. Sure he played up front with McMenamin but drifted out wide to torment Mikey Donald who was playing left back. 

I’d love him to sign but I’m sure there were rumours linking him to Motherwell. 

8 minutes ago, Mod1967 said:

Mcmullan would have to shift Ashford first, big ask 

Maybe Ashford will be used as back up striker instead of midfielder as that's his position?

Has he ever had a few games in a row there alongside another striker?

I remember a few ineffective ones when he got put there in an emergency.

1 hour ago, Nelson said:

Just not sure on what basis we make that judgement.  Not really seen any opinions from Stranraer or Albion Rovers fans after his loan spells there, which might say something.  Reading has had a tough season, but at no stage did you get the impression that Bullen saw Ecrepont as a solution.  I saw him show up reasonably well at right back against pretty toothless Hamilton and Raith sides but was dismantled up at Partick and basically didn’t feature with the first team thereafter.  

Ecrepont was very steady for Stranraer. However I would be surprised if he's immediately first choice for Ayr or picked up by another Championship club on loan. Maybe it's a case of seeing how he does in pre-season/League Cup and finding a League 1 club for a loan spell if necessary.

I love the chat about the difficulty of moving people on. I remember nobody thought we could get slow Joe Chalmers off the books. We didn't just get him off the books, we got a fee!

You know what we need? 

Spoiler

John Hughes to get a job and sign all our duffers!

Just now, Trogdor said:

I love the chat about the difficulty of moving people on. I remember nobody thought we could get slow Joe Chalmers off the books. We didn't just get him off the books, we got a fee!

You know what we need? 

Hide contents

When there’s a will, there’s John Hughes signing mingers to make a direct rival worse. 

Mathie will never top that regardless of what other transfer business he does. 

19 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

You know what we need? 

Hide contents

I still can't believe someone paid actual cash money for Sleepy Joe.

On 19/07/2021 at 18:44, ayrunitedfw said:

I don’t want Chalmers off loaded. I think he’ll be a big player for us this season. 

I feel that now is an apt time to quote this post! My phone always defaults to an old page when i load this thread and this post always gives me a giggle. 

Edited by Shibuya

10 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

I feel that now is an apt time to quote this post! My phone always defaults to an old page when i load this thread and this post always gives me a giggle. 

I was right tbf. He wasn't off loaded at that stage and we got cash for him ;)