The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

On 06/06/2023 at 21:11, D'Jaffo said:

I hope you’re right.

Wouldn’t thank you for Murphy. We need pace out wide. McMullan is ideal for that. 

Increased chance you may need to say thank you whether you want to or not...

It's probably a lazy comparison but Jamie Murphy just reeks off another Chris Maguire. No doubt he's a very talented player and had a very good career but hes due to turn 34 in August. Has his legs gone? 

2 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

It's probably a lazy comparison but Jamie Murphy just reeks off another Chris Maguire. No doubt he's a very talented player and had a very good career but hes due to turn 34 in August. Has his legs gone? 

It’s definitely a lazy comparison - he was a far better player than Maguire and isn’t fat as f**k. Saying that - we’ll need some input from St Johnstone fans, as you could be right! @RandomGuy.

Edited by No_Problemo

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

It’s definitely a lazy comparison - he was a far better player than Maguire and isn’t fat as f**k. Saying that - we’ll need some input from St Johnstone fans, as you could be right! @RandomGuy.

Sound the RandomGuy graphic klaxon

1 minute ago, GaryMc93 said:

Both have, other one was on the 6th which was the reason I mentioned his name. Mum's the word though.

I take it this is based on the fact his dad appears to be following the club on twitter aswell as an Ayr fan page. 

Any signings should be to build the team. 34-year-old wingers on single season contracts do not fit that bill.

Bullen has no idea what wingers do with the exception of some notion that they can be impact substitutes. I would wager that the rest of the team will be tackled first (if indeed it is tackled at all) unless someone actually comes in with an offer for one of them.

32 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Not at all, he's still fit and full of running, so he's able to play 90 minutes.

Didn't work for him at saints for a number of reasons. However if you play him wide he'll carry you up the pitch and create things and score goals. He was better coming off the bench for us and always seemed to make a difference when he came on, rather than starting. I'd say of all the 34 year olds you could pick up from the league above, you could do a lot, lot worse. 

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Hard to know about Murphy, tbh.

His chart will likely look better than it should as he had a knack of coming on as a sub, when we were chasing a game and our opponents were starting to sit deep, and looking really good. He'd then start a game and struggle to do anything.

He never really fit anywhere though. We played 3-5-2 so he was either wedged in as a striker or as a central attacking midfielder behind the front two, but you got the impression he needed to be out wide so he could see the game easily and needed someone to overlap him.

Never really played under MacLean after a switch to 4-3-3. Think he got a start at home but didnt get involved at all and cant remember him playing much at all after that.

So aye, hard to know as he never really played in a way that would make it fair to judge him. He never really relied on pace anyway so dont think it matters thats hes ageing, he still had a wee burst of speed it looked like.

The situation that clubs like ours are in is that we either sign a promising young guy from a club below us in the pecking order and hope he makes the step up or we sign a bit of "experience" in an ageing pro who played at a higher level but who's now inevitably on the wrong side of 30.

The other options are out of contract like for like at other clubs or the "unknown" option which can end you up with a Dipo, Dempsey and Albinson, but also a JML, Ashford or worst case scenario a Bangala, Gondoh type.

Every option is a gamble, some will work out some will fail miserably but we just need to hope that we get more successes than failures !!

20 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

The situation that clubs like ours are in is that we either sign a promising young guy from a club below us in the pecking order and hope he makes the step up or we sign a bit of "experience" in an ageing pro who played at a higher level but who's now inevitably on the wrong side of 30.

The other options are out of contract like for like at other clubs or the "unknown" option which can end you up with a Dipo, Dempsey and Albinson, but also a JML, Ashford or worst case scenario a Bangala, Gondoh type.

Every option is a gamble, some will work out some will fail miserably but we just need to hope that we get more successes than failures !!

I 100% agree with this, however I'd rather O'Connor was used over a Jamie Murphy, who will likely spend majority of the time out injured.

I'm confident Ayr could do better than a 34 year old. Maguire has thrown any thought of an Older player giving one last hoorah, a severe kick in the teeth.

The English lower leagues would be the go to for players, however, as you said, Gondoh wasnt the best.

27 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

I 100% agree with this, however I'd rather O'Connor was used over a Jamie Murphy, who will likely spend majority of the time out injured.

I'm confident Ayr could do better than a 34 year old. Maguire has thrown any thought of an Older player giving one last hoorah, a severe kick in the teeth.

The English lower leagues would be the go to for players, however, as you said, Gondoh wasnt the best.

I think a mix of all types would be good as there's no doubt that we are lacking a bit of experience in the squad, although I don't think we should be paying silly money to anyone who isn't 100% fit or able to cope with the demands of a tough 90 mins.

The one "type" I missed out was a "marquis" signing or two and to a club in our position that would undoubtedly be a Paul McMullan type who's proven in this league as a top performer and also someone who we know will excite the fans.

Most of us hope / believe that we will have a decent budget so I'd expect at least one of a McMullan type to come in and if not it really would be seen as a big disappointment / step back given the season we've just had.

As we've said, the new pitch and the new stand are both fantastic but ultimately we buy our season tickets to watch the guys playing on said pitch and THAT'S what needs to be remembered by everyone concerned. Having said that, I do remember Smith and Mathie confirming at the vision night that the ground improvements would be fully underwritten by Smith and would not affect the clubs playing budget so hopefully we can look forward to some exciting signing news over the next few weeks......

4 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I think a mix of all types would be good as there's no doubt that we are lacking a bit of experience in the squad, although I don't think we should be paying silly money to anyone who isn't 100% fit or able to cope with the demands of a tough 90 mins.

The one "type" I missed out was a "marquis" signing or two and to a club in our position that would undoubtedly be a Paul McMullan type who's proven in this league as a top performer and also someone who we know will excite the fans.

Most of us hope / believe that we will have a decent budget so I'd expect at least one of a McMullan type to come in and if not it really would be seen as a big disappointment / step back given the season we've just had.

As we've said, the new pitch and the new stand are both fantastic but ultimately we buy our season tickets to watch the guys playing on said pitch and THAT'S what needs to be remembered by everyone concerned. Having said that, I do remember Smith and Mathie confirming at the vision night that the ground improvements would be fully underwritten by Smith and would not affect the clubs playing budget so hopefully we can look forward to some exciting signing news over the next few weeks......

McMullan is not kicking about in the dregs of English football, so won't be of interest to us.