The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I could name half a dozen smaller clubs from smaller towns, with smaller supports that have had more success than Ayr

But who have likely had "external" backing as well.

Anybody who thinks we're in with a shout of affording the wage demands that someone of the standard and profile of McMullan would ask for, needs to have a word with themselves.

5 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

but we could be buying players that are competent at our level, it’s not a big ask

Are you suggesting we should be paying transfer fees as well?

I think the grand idea is always in signing players who are competent for our level. But also within the demands that we have in our current setup.

4 minutes ago, kilMARKnock said:

How was he with you?

He didn’t manage to mark opposing players and Jack Baird so it’s hard to tell, he played exclusively through the Covid games so the majority only saw him via streaming.

was ok, very much a young boy playing senior football at the time but liked to pass the ball out of the defence which will be why we didn’t go for him. Assuming he’s matured, he’ll be a decent signing 

Just now, diegomarahenry said:

He didn’t manage to mark opposing players and Jack Baird so it’s hard to tell, he played exclusively through the Covid games so the majority only saw him via streaming.

was ok, very much a young boy playing senior football at the time but liked to pass the ball out of the defence which will be why we didn’t go for him. Assuming he’s matured, he’ll be a decent signing 

Cheers gents! 

All the best for something similar to last season.

2 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

How long until somebody asks why we didn't sign him?

Doesn't make sense to add another centre back if they're playing a back 4 most of the time

5 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Anybody who thinks we're in with a shout of affording the wage demands that someone of the standard and profile of McMullan would ask for, needs to have a word with themselves.

Like Livingston? Hamilton? Inverness? 

3 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Are you suggesting we should be paying transfer fees as well?

I think the grand idea is always in signing players who are competent for our level. But also within the demands that we have in our current setup.

No, I doubt we will see Ayr make a signing over £30k-£50k  any time in the next 10 years at least.

We need competent players, the play-offs showed how weak our team was, we need a core of 8 players that pick themselves and another 8 that are almost there. We are two and a bit years in to this and we are probably a centre half better than we were at the tail end of last season. 

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Its also pretty clear from our signings so far that our budget isn't great 

See for one summer, pull your pants up and have a nice time.  

9 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Like Livingston? Hamilton? Inverness? 

No, I doubt we will see Ayr make a signing over £30k-£50k  any time in the next 10 years at least.

We need competent players, the play-offs showed how weak our team was, we need a core of 8 players that pick themselves and another 8 that are almost there. We are two and a bit years in to this and we are probably a centre half better than we were at the tail end of last season

You don't think these teams have, or have had, financial input "topping up" their turnover? 

I notice your list of 6 clubs has dropped to 3 as well....😉

35 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Pack up the club and put us out of our misery.

f**k me.

I could name half a dozen smaller clubs from smaller towns, with smaller supports that have had more success than Ayr. This too wee, too poor attitude has held us back for years. 

No one has said that we should be spending a fortune, but we could be buying players that are competent at our level, it’s not a big ask

But we obviously ARE, hence the reason we finished 2nd last year !!

Would you rather us have signed guys that Raith signed etc and finished where they finished ??

I honestly don't know what some folk are wanting or expecting.....

41 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

C’mon, McMullan has been released by the side who won the championship. He certainly isn’t moving up the way so it is going to be someone at or around our stature that signs him. The advantage we have over sides with bigger supports are the prize money from last season, plus the inevitable Dipo money.

It might be that we are bettered by another side, but let’s not say things like we have absolutely no chance of signing someone like that. We aren’t talking about a mid table top league player here. 

Motherwell have sold van veen for £500k and he's been banging in the goals in the premiership so if the club are looking for £500k which i've heard (unsure if true), we've got no chance of getting that. 

I think if we get offered £250k plus good add-ons which could take it up to £300k we have to grab it with both hands, that sort of transfer fee for a player in the 2nd tier of Scottish Football will be unheard of. 

Plus longer we drag it out and say didn't accept an offer until start of August, that would put us in a very difficult position with little time left of the transfer market to find a suitable replacement. 

Edited by Rb123

1 minute ago, Rb123 said:

Motherwell have sold van veen for £500k and he's been banging in the goals in the premiership so if the club are looking for £500k which i've heard (unsure if true), we've got no chance of getting that. 

It was reported at the time of sale, in the papers, as £700K + add ons.

For a 32yo with 12 months left on their deal and a sketchy history of goalscoring.

Paul McMullan is the one I would really like us to snap up somehow, always been a danger against us, although I could see him end up at Queens Park and be frightening with Thomas & Paton, or back at Dunfermline, as he probably worked with McPake at Dundee

Liam Smith would be handy back in too, and I do get intrigued by the signings from down south, although very hit or miss

See Voice doing the Dipo advert again? Dipo does appear to still be away on holiday to be fair. Although has time to post cryptic emoji's, think the quicker thats all sorted out the best for both

Edited by diege