The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

5 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Yes, but we get to watch him for another full year as fans and as a club he could be the difference between 8th and 4th which would be around £150k in prize money.

As an example, we could sell him for £150k but then sign Danny Mullen and another "promising" striker as his replacements.  Realistically that's £100k on wages for your 2 new guys and is it likely that either will perform to the level of Dipo ??

I'd say he's a once in a decade find and to let him go for £150k (especially when goalscorers are so scarce) would be nothing short of lunacy.

Weigh that up with him carrying on his 2023 record, leaving for nothing after not having a good season and we've went from 250k, to 150k, to nothing.  I don't think there is a right or wrong answer.

3 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I'd imagine the (potential) financial rewards of him staying vastly outweigh the offers that have been received and letting him leave for free is the sounder move financially until that number is reached.  

That's fair enough, but we all whinge about not getting fee's for the likes of Rose/Shankland/McCowan/Forrest/Harvie etc so if he stays and does leave on a free, I can bet you the same folk saying don't sell for 150k are the ones berating the club for having him leave for nothing.

1 minute ago, GaryMc93 said:

Hopefully not too many people find out Dipo didn't score against St Mirren's B team or he'll be getting accused of a lack of effort because he wants to leave. Also this will take another 100k off his value.

Heard he had a t-shirt on under his jersey to show "why always me?" if he scored. 

9 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I'd imagine the (potential) financial rewards of him staying vastly outweigh the offers that have been received and letting him leave for free is the sounder move financially until that number is reached.  

On the other hand, this undermines the sales pitch to potential new players that the club will showcase them and won't stand in their way if a move up the ladder is on the table.

The club are in a bit of a no win situation sell him on the cheap and they will be criticised, hold out for £200k to £250k and risk loosing him for nothing at the end of the next seasonand folk will moan, I'm not desperate for him to go unless it's silly money, one thing I would say is we put a date on it and tell all parties that if no deal is agreed by the first league game of the season he's staying.

9 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Weigh that up with him carrying on his 2023 record, leaving for nothing after not having a good season and we've went from 250k, to 150k, to nothing.  I don't think there is a right or wrong answer.

Yes, I get what you're saying but I think as fans we should be wanting him to stay as there's no guarantee the club would spend all the fee on players and even if they did we might not be able to get anywhere near the quality that Dipo possesses.

As you say though, he could end up a shadow of last year, get injured, or just not hit it off the same.

That said, given what he's achieved I just feel that he's worth a damn sight more than £150k and I'd rather see us deprive other teams of him for that measly sum as much as anything else.

6 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Yes, I get what you're saying but I think as fans we should be wanting him to stay as there's no guarantee the club would spend all the fee on players and even if they did we might not be able to get anywhere near the quality that Dipo possesses.

As you say though, he could end up a shadow of last year, get injured, or just not hit it off the same.

That said, given what he's achieved I just feel that he's worth a damn sight more than £150k and I'd rather see us deprive other teams of him for that measly sum as much as anything else.

If clubs simply started acting in the way that fans wanted then there wouldn’t be many clubs left in Scotland. 

The club need to act purely on what is best financial decision for the club. He has a year left and likely wants a move back home. I’m not questioning his attitude but I’d imagine his preference is to go home. If the club can get near £200K for him and a good sell on clause then we should take it. Reinvest some of it and move on. 

48 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

If the Championship top scorer and player of the year who's got lots of other attributes plus a full year remaining on his contract is only "worth" £150k, then I'm afraid that make a complete mockery of our business model and sends out the most terrible signals, not just for ourselves but for the Scottish Championship in general.

I don't disagree...but he's only worth what someone is prepared to pay...if we let him go with a 25% sell on clause and he later sold for £1m...that would be worth another £250k to us...making £400k in total... if we don't sell him and he's unhappy and has a crap season and at end of season goes for nothing we end up losers again... there's no rush to sell him at moment unless we are looking for revenue for new players...but I would definitely consider lower sale price for a good sell on clause...

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

If clubs simply started acting in the way that fans wanted then there wouldn’t be many clubs left in Scotland. 

The club need to act purely on what is best financial decision for the club. He has a year left and likely wants a move back home. I’m not questioning his attitude but I’d imagine his preference is to go home. If the club can get near £200K for him and a good sell on clause then we should take it. Reinvest some of it and move on. 

Smith and Mathie will know more than us about the market and what's fair / acceptable and as we've said they'll also be weighing up the potential differences in prize money with and without Dipo against a likely fee and potential sell on clauses.

Ultimately the decision is theirs and we'll all just need to accept that that they've got the club the best deal that they realistically can.

Mathie is experienced and highly regarded so we should be in safe hands.....

4 minutes ago, Bruadair said:

I don't disagree...but he's only worth what someone is prepared to pay...if we let him go with a 25% sell on clause and he later sold for £1m...that would be worth another £250k to us...making £400k in total... if we don't sell him and he's unhappy and has a crap season and at end of season goes for nothing we end up losers again... there's no rush to sell him at moment unless we are looking for revenue for new players...but I would definitely consider lower sale price for a good sell on clause...

One of the biggest issues we'll have is how we replace him and even if we manage to identify someone, how much of the transfer fee will we need to use to entice said player or players ?

It is quite a tough one and there's really no right answer.

20 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

The club are in a bit of a no win situation sell him on the cheap and they will be criticised, hold out for £200k to £250k and risk loosing him for nothing at the end of the next seasonand folk will moan, I'm not desperate for him to go unless it's silly money, one thing I would say is we put a date on it and tell all parties that if no deal is agreed by the first league game of the season he's staying.

I would only sell him for silly money tbh. Hopefully the days of us selling our players for a pittance and a pat on the head for being a nice wee club that doesn't stand in our players way if an offer comes in is over.

He's an Ayr United player. If clubs really want him, they can pay whatever Ayr United want for him. They can't be that bothered if they won't.

One other thing to remember will be that if/when Dipo is sold, other clubs/players/agents will know Ayr have had an injection of cash and will very possibly look to try and negotiate higher fees.  Either way is a risk: Sell him now and we're going to struggle massively to achieve what we did last year in terms of league position and that'll be less of a cash return in terms of prize money.  Keep him, but accept that he'll probably be away in 12 months for nothing with no guarantee of return in the season now.  

Personally, I think he will leave before the end of the transfer window.  I suspect the teams that have put low bids in are doing so knowing that he wants to go back down South and will be trying to take advantage of that.  I'd rather it was sorted sooner rather than later, for everyone's sake. I would suspect that there is a plan in place for who they would try to sign in the event Dipo leaves, but how long they are prepared to hold out on that could be a factor. 

Edited by super_carson

45 minutes ago, Iain said:

On the other hand, this undermines the sales pitch to potential new players that the club will showcase them and won't stand in their way if a move up the ladder is on the table.

It doesn't really. The sales pitch isn't come up here do well and we will let you go no matter what the offer is.

I don't think any club in the Championship would stop a player moving onto a higher level/bigger pay day as long as the figures being offered also match what the club want.

The thought of a motivated Dipo leading the line for us in August with an effective striking partner is mouth watering. The potential prize money would surely out weight any crappy £150k bid . For Dipo , another 20+ goal return and being a free agent next May would surely be a more lucrative position for him . This would be my best case scenario , but I know there are a lot of ifs and buts to it …

1 hour ago, Iain said:

That is true to an extent.  Club shouldn't be bullied into losing their star player for sub 100,000 though and no actual upward moves have appeared yet.  

Not standing in a players way doesn't work if you want to make money as some made up sounding team benefitting from a TV deal will offer a pittance and big wages and the player will expect to make that move.  

32 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Give him a pay rise while adding another 2 years to his contract, while making it clear he goes as soon as the clubs valuation is met.

Only problem with that is, if he plays good over the two years, his valuation goes up 😂

Brilliant headache for the club to have though 😊