The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

7 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

IMG_3967.thumb.jpeg.fbe66571ea7e91dcbded5af385e77416.jpeg

Had a wee play about with this to try and get an idea of where we’re at in terms of building a squad. Obviously this isn’t our set starting eleven but if you had to pick holes in it and guess what Bullen might do to it then I’d say we would be shipping out Ashford, Hewitt, Ecrepont and Bangala (not listed). And then bringing in a winger, left back, right back and midfielder. That’s probably unlikely to happen but I do think Ashford will go and another winger is needed regardless of that happening as I think that’s probably one of the weakest areas in terms of natural players as we only really have Murphy as a recognised winger. Amartey has done okay but he flits between winger and striker. McKenzie and Ashford offer nothing there and I’m not sure if that’s what McGeady has been signed for. Full back is obviously a concern but that requires a body or two out before we can sign anyone. Would ideally like another midfielder to play in an attacking role as McGeady won’t last the season. We could always go 4-4-2 in the event of an injury but I think having the three in midfield suits us far better. 

I think the club are planning on doing a fair bit of business yet so that’s promising. 

Based on squad numbers 7, 11 and 12 are available.

If we let Ashford and Bangala leave and send Bryden on loan then we probably require a LW and RW/No. 10 (depending on where McGeady plays). However we still need a No.6 to dictate the play and protect the back 4 as that current midfield two were shown up in the play off game at Partick.

12 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

If we let Ashford and Bangala leave and send Bryden on loan then we probably require a LW and RW/No. 10 (depending on where McGeady plays). However we still need a No.6 to dictate the play and protect the back 4 as that current midfield two were shown up in the play off game at Partick.

Pendlebury has been added to Murdoch and Dempsey with Smith also kicking around so I really can't see us signing any more holding type players as frankly we don't need them given what we have.

The jury is out on Pendlebury given that he's just arrived, however both Dempsey and Murdoch have proven themselves to be more than capable at this level and are both far too good to be merely squad players at a mid level Championship club so unless one or both depart then I'd think there's virtually no chance of bringing in someone else in that area.

I'd also say it's unfair to rate their entire season and scope, which of course was successful, on the couple of bad games in the play offs.

3 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Hopefully Ahkeem blossoms in the lone striker role and becomes a thorn in the side of the opposition. 

8 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Where is this optimism stemming from?

Settle, petal

Edited by AuAl

30 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

Number 7 has been retired  this season in honour of Michael Moffats service to the club 

Although we have a realistic chance of qualifying from the group, these are still games where the primary objective is to give game time and get fitness up. I’d start Rose but maybe keep McGeady on the bench. 

Albinson

Watret

Stanger

McGinty 

Ecrepont 

Amartey

Murdoch

Smith

Dempsey

Murphy

Rose

12 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Although we have a realistic chance of qualifying from the group, these are still games where the primary objective is to give game time and get fitness up. I’d start Rose but maybe keep McGeady on the bench. 

Albinson

Watret

Stanger

McGinty 

Ecrepont 

Amartey

Murdoch

Smith

Dempsey

Murphy

Rose

Played on Saturday while everyone else was rested, won't be starting.

17 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Albinson

Watret

Stanger

McGinty 

Ecrepont 

Amartey

Murdoch

Smith

Dempsey

Murphy

Rose

I can see the argument for McGeady being on the bench, but I would just play him in the first half so he gets some game time with Rose.

Paddy had an actual good game last time out, so I wouldn’t be dropping him - let’s see if he can actually get a run going. We need to get McAliister and Musonda some game time too. 

Edited by No_Problemo

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I can see the argument for McGeady being on the bench, but I would just play him in the first half so he gets some game time with Rose.

Paddy had an actual good game last time out, so I wouldn’t be dropping him - let’s see if he can actually get a run going. We need to get McAliister some game time too. 

Is McAllister going to be fit for this one?

19 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Played on Saturday while everyone else was rested, won't be starting.

This is true. Same goes for Watret so he might not start either. 

16 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Paddy had an actual good game last time out, so I wouldn’t be dropping him - let’s see if he can actually get a run going. We need to get McAliister and Musonda some game time too. 

Yeah Reading has been fine but it was more a case of Ecrepont needing a fair crack at these games to prove himself but given he was sent down to Troon for an utterly meaningless game against the likes of fat Mark Shankland probably tells you all you need to know about what Bullen thinks of him. 

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

This is true. Same goes for Watret so he might not start either. 

Yeah Reading has been fine but it was more a case of Ecrepont needing a fair crack at these games to prove himself but given he was sent down to Troon for an utterly meaningless game against the likes of fat Mark Shankland probably tells you all you need to know about what Bullen thinks of him. 

I don’t disagree, and would have said the same but in the circumstances now I would rather try and see if we can get Paddy going a bit for the start of the season. No doubt he will have a nightmare tonight though!

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

I'd also say it's unfair to rate their entire season and scope, which of course was successful, on the couple of bad games in the play offs.

Fine for me it's the same outcome whether I judge them on the playoffs, 2nd half of the season  or full season. That is rarely did we control games which is to be expected when your CM'S are all box to box types and that while Murdoch and Dempsey are 6/10 most weeks anything above a 7 last season was rare.

The playoffs were the biggest indicators of what we need to improve on for this season so you can absolutely judge players in isolation over the two games. The two glaring weaknesses for me were full back and the inability to get a foothold in midfield. I said in pre season that I wouldn’t be against dropping Murdoch if we can get a proper number 6 in that can simply recycle possession and not give the ball away. I think on his day Dempsey is better at getting forward although he definitely dipped after the turn of the year last year. I have no idea what kind of midfielder Pendlebury is but I’ve not seen anything from him to suggest he’s a holding player. Smith has done that role so far but no one was willing to actually pass the ball to him so that’s maybe something for Bullen to work on and drill into the squad that there are other options besides hitting the forwards first time or punting it long. 

I’d be surprised if we went and signed another midfielder now but I’m still holding out for Kerr McInroy (or Connor Smith from Hearts). 

Edited by D'Jaffo

Albinson

Hewitt  Stanger  McGinty  Reading

Murdoch  Pendelbury  Dempsey

Amartey  McKenzie  Murphy

Subs: Mutch, Watret, Ecrepont, Smith, Ashford, Bryden, McGeady, Rose - Not sure what the script with Musonda and McAllister is.

Think we will see cameos from McGeady and Rose tonight with more chance of them starting v Alloa on Saturday.  Expect us to be a close to "full strength" as possible for tonight.  Going for a boring 0-0 with winning on pens for us.