The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Cheers for the help @Finlay21

PXL_20230726_075827702.jpg

Spoiler

I think they are trying to tell me something cause they sent a large instead of a medium 🫃😂

Fits fine so probably size up team. 

Edited by itzdrk

10 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

A lot more cause for optimism now.  I would imagine our initial budget before the Dipo sale should still be allowing us to bring in at least 2 new faces (RB) being the main priority.  If we qualify that is 300k (250 dipo sale and 50 from group stages) in the bank before a league game has kicked off which helps the bank reserve.  Still belive 1 or 2 could be on the outgoings list (Ashford, Bangala, Hewitt, Ecrepont) so replacements would be needed.  I see Logan Chalmers not even in Dundee United squad last night and said to be about 7th choice winger, would love to see us test Dundee United with a cheeky bid.

I really don’t think it would take much for Dundee United to let him go either. They may have reservations about selling him to a league rival but we should be able to make a decent offer if we get past Alloa on Saturday. I would hope, as a minimum, we have at least asked the question of Dundee United. 

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I really don’t think it would take much for Dundee United to let him go either. They may have reservations about selling him to a league rival but we should be able to make a decent offer if we get past Alloa on Saturday. I would hope, as a minimum, we have at least asked the question of Dundee United. 

If Chalmers was to come in, you then have Rose/Amartey/McKenzie/Bryden from now till January as your 4 striking options which I would be happy enough with.  That leaves Murphy/Chalmers/McGeady/Ashford as your 4 wingers.  McGeady even playing in behind the striker in a 4231.

Pleased with that last night, the performance we've needed to see and hopefully a confidence booster for the squad. By no means are we the finished article, between players not in the squad and still to come in. Murphy and Amartey look like they'll do some damage this season, which is a massive upgrade on the last couple of years. I reckon we're currently somewhere between 5-7th if we started with this squad today with no real danger of going down, however no real danger of going up either. We need a couple of full backs to really push for the playoffs and be in the promotion conversation and a wee bit more quality depth to cover for injuries.

I'd be inclined to start Finn again on Saturday, it seemed to be a positive thing for Reading going by his sub appearance. 

31 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Not sure Ecrepont is going to be the man to replace Reading, he was getting roasted a fair bit last night (McAllister too, at times). 

He absolutely needs a loan to get some playing time under the belt. However, it might send a message to Reading that he isn't guaranteed to play every week if he's consistently firing in 5/10s. He certainly looked alot sharper coming off the bench, so maybe it was a case of message received. 

I would guess that Hewitt, Ecrepont and Bangala could all go and we’ll see a couple of full backs and another forward come in. Watret can act as second choice right back and McAllister can be third or fourth choice centre back. 

1 hour ago, Superhursy7 said:

Can't think of a player who has had more of a redemption arc than Mcginty, I don't know what Bullen has done to him but he's turned him from a laughing stock to a regular 7/8 out of 10 most matches, yeah he still has a mistake in him and he loves a punt up the field to no one but he arguably been on of the best CBs in the championship for the last 18 months now.

He had a simple 10 yard pass to an unmarked Ecripont last night and calmly put it 5 yards behind him and out the park. I thought he was going to start the season making an arse of it but he was solid again, he is playing with different full backs every week and has been solid in every game. 

Chalmers over the season I think could add 10+ goals this season based on his impact he had last year. That means that we only need rose to hit 15ish to make up for losing Dipo. I’d definitely get a bid in for him. Two full backs and chalmers think we will be top 4 again.

Who knows Dundee utd could be another Hamilton when they first came down, raiths recruitment looks good on paper but who knows the likes of Mullen might produce performances the way he did the second half of the season. ICT and partick aren’t done yet but think we look in better shape than them as we stand 

14 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Bullen says recruitment will continue but it will depend on who leaves. Presume he means we need to see what positions people short rather than freeing up wages. 

I have a feeling he would like a different type of midfielder to what we have if we go 3 central, so would be wanting Bangala out, Hewitt very similar with bringing in a right back (currently McAllister/Hewitt/Watret) and would assume Ecrepont needing to go to get another left back in if he's in the market for one.  

24 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Bullen says recruitment will continue but it will depend on who leaves. Presume he means we need to see what positions people short rather than freeing up wages. 

Might be cashflow as well.  We don't know how the Dipo deal is structured so we may not have that cash yet.  

Should still be money left over however.  

Edited by itzdrk

Very encouraged by last night. That's the first time I've seen us other than the highlights and I liked the way we were trying to play. Amartey looking like he could be a real find and Murphy is a touch of class. Thought Dempsey looked back to his best as well.

Always a bit of an odd time of the season this, we've fairly routinely beaten the top seeds over the years I think? 

Right Back is the biggest priority considering we don't have one.

We've got two midfielders in Hewitt and McAllister who can be shoehorned in there and then Watret who no matter how good a talent he is won't be fully developed at 16 for championship level.

After that we could probably do with a CAM, another winger and possibly another striker. For how good we were last night felt McKenzie and Bryden never offered too much, don't really remember either of them winning an aerial battle.

CB worries me too as Musonda seems to be nowhere to be seen and we already known he'll be away for a significant amount of time for AFCON. We can't fall back on McAllister at CB as that's where out momentum crumbled last season. 

Depends too how we're going to line up but looks like it could be 4/4/2 this year. With two proper wingers in that formation the team looks so much more balanced compared to last year where the midfield would just get constantly overun.

Would love us to get McInroy and Chalmers but not sure where both would fit in a 4/4/2 formation?

Edited by Rb123

McCalister is a right back, that's where he's played before Ayr.  

I'd say having seen him shunted about he's more of a centre back but not really any good anywhere.  

Passion Bangala