The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Mathie will be involved and have some input in everything that goes on in the club. 

One of the issues I think is he's got a million hair brained ideas every week when he should be focusing on three or four at a time and have them grouped into short and long term goals

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

David Smith is the Chairman so technically he’s in charge of everything. Surely the buck stops with him, no? 

Might5be technically but I'm pretty sure he hired Mathie so he doesn't have to do anything that isn't construction related

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

David Smith is the Chairman so technically he’s in charge of everything. Surely the buck stops with him, no? 

Ultimately, yes - if Mathie continues to be bad at his job then Smith will get flak for it. He has entrusted everything to him. 

I don’t think Mathie should go either, but the improvement needs to start with an apology on Monday and the work beginning to ensure we appoint a good manager and recruit actual good players in January. 

The stewards at Somerset have been shite since I’ve been going to Ayr games and Provan seems to be disliked by anyone I’ve ever spoken to and a couple of them are people who knew him in the police. 

Mathie is obviously in a sort of overseeing role for the whole club with an emphasis on the footballing side of it but I think this is more of a mix up in terms of a fud of a steward rather than Mathie implementing some form of stewarding that the gestapo would be proud of. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Ultimately yes, as Dave Smith owns the club and chairs the board. Mathie answers to the board. However, Mathie is responsible for the entire operation day to day.

There will be a structure and a hierarchy of managers who then report into Mathie directly but he's ultimately in charge of everything.

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

The stewards at Somerset have been shite since I’ve been going to Ayr games and Provan seems to be disliked by anyone I’ve ever spoken to and a couple of them are people who knew him in the police. 

Mathie is obviously in a sort of overseeing role for the whole club with an emphasis on the footballing side of it but I think this is more of a mix up in terms of a fud of a steward rather than Mathie implementing some form of stewarding that the gestapo would be proud of. 

Aye, I don't think Mathie has implemented this at all. I think it is infinitely more likely it was Provan who came up with it, whether Mathie was aware of it or not is the question. I'd be shocked if Mathie weren't aware given the impact.

I just hope Mathie does as No Problemo suggested and gets in front of it, apologises and assures us it wont happen again. If he doesn't do that, it just adds to the negativity around the place and the disconnect between club and fans. Which no-one wants.

56 minutes ago, mugen_power said:

Bingo also got in at Airdrie dressed up as a panda just after the banning thing then promptly turfed out when he took the hood down lol

If it's the guy I'm thinking of, I remember him getting lifted at Airdrie for getting punched in the face.

At the end of the day a line manager entrusts their staff to get on with the job at hand. My line manager doesn't know every detail of what I'm doing and we meet weekly to discuss things. Any material changes typically get ran through the chain, but how I get there are down to me. It is the same with people in my chain, I don't need to know everything they are doing unless it is an area of John scrutiny or there has been a previous issue. 

My assumption here is that this is on Provan rather than Mathie. Ultimately as line manager Mathie has to take the flack and I agree with Trogdor he really needs to get out in front of this quickly, which so far he hasn't. I would assume it will be Monday by the time we hear anything after the board have their weekly meeting. 

I honestly find it hard to see that things can get to a point where the club/Provan feels that they need to hire a third party security company, with a sniffer dog and at no point Mathie is aware of any of these plans. 

Others have stated it was throughout the game too? So, Mathie would surely quickly have been horrified at what Provan had implemented and told him to get them to f**k.

As has been said, apologise and we can move on and get back to criticising everyone for our woeful football team. I’m honestly not sure if we’ll see an apology though, and it’ll just drag on. 

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

I still think calls for Mathie to leave the club are silly. 

The summer was poor given the money we made with Akinyemi and a failure to get first, second and probably third choice targets will land with him given his position. Bullen takes full responsibility for anything related to game management or what players are picked. Where we’re at right now is a culmination of both of them failing at a part of their job. 

The difference is that Mathie has a wider remit and he’s not in a position where you just go and chop and change when it isn’t working like you can with a manager. Since his arrival Ayr are strides ahead of where they were off the pitch. On the pitch we’ve had a great season and now we’re in the middle of a sticky patch where a decision potentially has to be made. I admire that Mathie is loyal to Bullen after last season but he needs to act and hopefully learn from what’s happened over the summer. If Bullen leaves and we just repeat all this again then it calls into question Mathies suitability and awareness. As it stands he deserves a chance to fix all this. 

Bullen on the other hand is making the same mistakes that we saw last year but obviously had players that could win games on their own. 

I don't think he should leave, I think he should sort out the shitshow he has created. He needs yo own the mistakes, which he absolutely hasn't and he needs to show his workings on how we will improve rather than doing the same thing over and over again. 

The interviews from the time specifically say that Mathie's remit is off-field operations. Ultimately he shouldn't have any sort of say in e.g. transfers despite his role at Hibs.

Ultimately it's still confusing as to where the buck stops for this season. Bullen was already useless but the question remains as to who is actually in charge of transfers, as opposed to who gets the final say in them. That person needs to be removed from that responsibility just as much as Bullen needs to be removed from coaching duties.

Not sure if it was a bigger surprise today McCall coming off the longest period of gardening leave ever to be back on the radio or the fact he's getting married next June

He also said we actually played well last night for about half an hour but it was clear we were never actually going to score, least it's not just us lot then that see that glaringly obvious issue...

Morton getting a point at Tannadice despite having to loan a couple of bench warmers out to free up funds to sign a right back, and Kirk Broadfoot/Jack Baird partnership at CB.   Went 1 down and got a draw.   We would have lost 5 or 6-0 there today.    

Edited by Hursty

I'm still fuming my 22 fcuking quid to watch a 0-4 went on paying for that dug.   39 years old and possibly the most annoyed I've ever been at the club.   Didn't take long to top paying 6 quid for my season ticket holding 7 year old to see the Falkirk game 

6 minutes ago, Hursty said:

I'm still fuming my 22 fcuking quid to watch a 0-4 went on paying for that dug.   39 years old and possibly the most annoyed I've ever been at the club.   Didn't take long to top paying 6 quid for my season ticket holding 7 year old to see the Falkirk game 

It’s impressive what they’ve done tbf. They have so much credit in the bank due to all the infrastructure stuff they’re doing. To still have the fans feeling the way they do deserves some praise. 

3 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Reading the QP thread, it seems like the cracks are starting to appear in their shiny new regime. They seem to play a very high line as well, surely Bullen and his 57 coaches will recognise this and exploit it. 

The upcoming Queens Park or Airdrie games are our best chance of a win 

7 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Reading the QP thread, it seems like the cracks are starting to appear in their shiny new regime. They seem to play a very high line as well, surely Bullen and his 57 coaches will recognise this and exploit it. 

You have just confirmed that Amartey will remain on the bench…

We exploited his pace against Stenhousemuir to good effect, since then we seem to have decided not to try it again.