The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

12 hours ago, Shibuya said:

McAllister

Musonda

McKenzie

Reading

Can't wait to see these guys move on in the summer. We are stuck with big Sean until 2025 but he'll be really good in League 1. 

I like Musonda tbh, but it’s incredibly frustrating that he’s never fit.

He’s not been called up for Zambia in the upcoming WC qualifiers but am assuming that’s due to injury?

The scenes when he’s no selected for the AFCON and these shirts have been released 😂

Ayr had 17 different goal scorers last season, same as Dundee and Partick. Yes Dipo' total was more than Graham, Robinson and Murray, but it's pure laziness going back to the well over and over again that Ayrs 'success' last season can be reasoned away just by Akinyemi being a class apart. Both can be true: Akinyemi was class, and the rest of the squad all played their parts.

Albinson had the joint most clean sheets in the league last year. Must've actually been Dipo in a mask.

14 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

Ayr had 17 different goal scorers last season, same as Dundee and Partick. Yes Dipo' total was more than Graham, Robinson and Murray, but it's pure laziness going back to the well over and over again that Ayrs 'success' last season can be reasoned away just by Akinyemi being a class apart. Both can be true: Akinyemi was class, and the rest of the squad all played their parts.

Albinson had the joint most clean sheets in the league last year. Must've actually been Dipo in a mask.

Dipo was in the dugout as well.

When you have a player like Dipo it really lifts the rest of the players.  If nothing else, you believe you can actually score a goal which tends to mean the rest of the players don’t chuck it as soon as they go 1 down, which has been consistently the case this season.

1 hour ago, Jeff Venom said:

You have to take the volume of goals scored by other players in to account as well. Dempsey was on penalties but maybe scored 2 goals that weren’t penalties, I don’t think O’Conner, Ashford and JML hit double figures combined and McKenzie scored few goals as well last season. 

When you compare that to this season, Chalmers and Murphy combined will almost have scored more than the attacking players last season minus Dipo already. 

This should be such a hugely positive time for everyone concerned with Ayr United - a golden era with all the off field progress and once in a generation or two (or three) ground upgrades.

All this though is sorely tempered by the inadequacies on the pitch and the dugout.

I just hope that, fickle as us fans can be, that no lasting damage is done, but I would bet that we are not tapping into our potential at present - getting to the point where most of us can predict the sometimes farcical substitutions and outcomes of most games as they play out.

We need our hope back this season, and I can’t see it coming under Bullen unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

This should be such a hugely positive time for everyone concerned with Ayr United - a golden era with all the off field progress and once in a generation or two (or three) ground upgrades.

All this though is sorely tempered by the inadequacies on the pitch and the dugout.

I just hope that, fickle as us fans can be, that no lasting damage is done, but I would bet that we are not tapping into our potential at present - getting to the point where most of us can predict the sometimes farcical substitutions and outcomes of most games as they play out.

We need our hope back this season, and I can’t see it coming under Bullen unfortunately.

The club said that the budget is currently about mid-championship level. Once the new stand is in place, we should be able to increase the budget but based on that, we are where we are….at face value.

I think the issue most people have is, what we do with that budget, a high level of failures in recruitment, young players not developing beyond a handful of sub appearances and clubs with smaller budgets outperforming us. 

If we were performing above our station and hitting a glass ceiling due to 2-3 teams spending more money and signing the best players, folk would understand.

We are currently below Airdrie and a point above Arbroath who have played 2 games less. both will have a smaller budget than us. 

26 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

You have to take the volume of goals scored by other players in to account as well. Dempsey was on penalties but maybe scored 2 goals that weren’t penalties, I don’t think O’Conner, Ashford and JML hit double figures combined and McKenzie scored few goals as well last season. 

When you compare that to this season, Chalmers and Murphy combined will almost have scored more than the attacking players last season minus Dipo already. 

That's correct, but only one team had two players reaching double digits in the league, Queens Park. Grant Savoury was their second top scorer, a midfielder. Mullen was ours. 

To make it remotely fair taking away Dipos goals you'd need to strip out all of the goals by each other teams top goalscorer too and see how the results would've landed. I.e., it's a fucking pointless exercise but the data is out there for those inclined to make an argument out of it. 

38 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

As you say we're doing all the right stuff off the pitch and getting the infrastructure off the pitch premiership ready

But the two most important factors about any club are on the pitch and in the dugout on a Saturday and it's those two areas that are currently failing this football club the most. 

We've got a coach who isn't good enough and not going to be the one  to take us to the next step, aka the premiership and we've a squad which is nowhere near promotion quality.

I believe what is hopefully happening this season is we're running down contracts to next summer and do enough to stumble to mid table mediocracy in the league. To then next summer get a new coach in, rebuild the squad for a proper go and the opening of the new stand plus the previous two points to be used as a push to unify what is a very much divided supporters base just now and to actually get the club #weareunited

56 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

As you say we're doing all the right stuff off the pitch and getting the infrastructure off the pitch premiership ready

But the two most important factors about any club are on the pitch and in the dugout on a Saturday and it's those two areas that are currently failing this football club the most. 

We've got a coach who isn't good enough and not going to be the one  to take us to the next step, aka the premiership and we've a squad which is nowhere near promotion quality.

I believe what is hopefully happening this season is we're running down contracts to next summer and do enough to stumble to mid table mediocracy in the league. To then next summer get a new coach in, rebuild the squad for a proper go and the opening of the new stand plus the previous two points to be used as a push to unify what is a very much divided supporters base just now and to actually get the club #weareunited

You might not be far off with that.  McAllister, Musonda, Reading, McGinty, Ecrepont all out would be a good start to a defensive re-build.  Would not be surprised to see Murdoch leave, McKenzie probably stays unless he was to find another club like O'Connor/JML.

On the discussion on Akinyemi, it isn’t fair to just talk about his goals given he basically single handedly got us up the pitch at times and got a fucking ridiculous amount of assists too… 

Of course other players contributed, but replace him with a bog standard championship striker and we would easily have been bottom half. 

14 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Fear not guys and gals. He’s going to have a chat with them about their mentality IMG_3278.thumb.jpeg.76ab3142387a2208a19a799620047514.jpeg

That should sort it

I thought the club employed someone specifically to deal with that side of things. 

2 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I thought the club employed someone specifically to deal with that side of things. 

Maybe we could bring in the guy Albion Rovers had who was just there to bollock players before and after games. 

If it is down to the players being un-coachable, or them just not caring, then having a chat about mentality isn’t going to fix it, basically asking them to be less shit and this could be the problem with the club currently. 

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

On the discussion on Akinyemi, it isn’t fair to just talk about his goals given he basically single handedly got us up the pitch at times and got a fucking ridiculous amount of assists too… 

Of course other players contributed, but replace him with a bog standard championship striker and we would easily have been bottom half. 

He had 6 assists in the league, which is less than Jack McMillan, Kyle Turner, and Dom Thomas (obviously not their teams top scorer), and one more than Brian Graham (Thistles top scorer). 

I don't know if 6 assists is a 'ridiculous' number of assists or not, but he's in and around the same numbers as Simon Murray and Brian Graham. 

1 minute ago, Jeff Venom said:

He had 6 assists in the league, which is less than Jack McMillan, Kyle Turner, and Dom Thomas (obviously not their teams top scorer), and one more than Brian Graham (Thistles top scorer). 

I don't know if 6 assists is a 'ridiculous' number of assists or not, but he's in and around the same numbers as Simon Murray and Brian Graham. 

No he didn’t, he got eight assists in the league and eleven in total. 

Given the amount of goals he scored, and the general uselessness of our other attacking players post January then yes I would call that a ridiculous number. 

We scored 61 goals (six of which were penalties) so he wasn’t far off being a huge contributor to half of them - and that obviously doesn’t begin to take into account his general involvement in other goals. 

Trying to talk down the impact of Akinyemi is just weird.