The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Brings us back to the question of recruitment.  Bullen said explicitly we need more experience and leadership and yet we went out and signed a 20 year old from English non league football who walked out on us after 6 weeks because he was homesick.  And when we did go for experience, we signed a 37 year old McGeady who is patently done.  From the outside looking in, it’s just impossible to know where responsibility lies, but ultimately Bullen is the front man so he gets all the criticism.  

Feel bad for him as he seems a decent enough guy who doubtless wants to do well (the BGM patter is tedious), but it isn’t working out.  I just don’t think it’s purely him.  Mathie has got Smith to buy into a management structure where everyone is responsible but no one is accountable.  Personally, I’d still love to know the full story behind David Bangala - I’ve seen some tosh at Ayr, but it’s usually a bit more local.

4 minutes ago, Nelson said:

I’d still love to know the full story behind David Bangala - I’ve seen some tosh at Ayr, but it’s usually a bit more local.

I reckon you could make a Netflix series about Bangala’s move to Ayr. He’s clearly without a club since leaving us. I reckon we’ve been absolutely done. He’s a fraud. If you watch the “highlights” reel on YouTube, I’m convinced it’s not him. The footage is so grainy, most of the footage is from one game, and we didn’t see anything remotely close to the player being shown in that video. 

Just now, Ayr23 said:

I reckon you could make a Netflix series about Bangala’s move to Ayr. He’s clearly without a club since leaving us. I reckon we’ve been absolutely done. He’s a fraud. If you watch the “highlights” reel on YouTube, I’m convinced it’s not him. The footage is so grainy, most of the footage is from one game, and we didn’t see anything remotely close to the player being shown in that video. 

He's Ali Dia'd us a belter.

2 minutes ago, Ayr23 said:

If he turned out to be some kind of Ali Dia that would’ve been absolutely sensational patter.

6 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Brings us back to the question of recruitment.  Bullen said explicitly we need more experience and leadership and yet we went out and signed a 20 year old from English non league football who walked out on us after 6 weeks because he was homesick.  And when we did go for experience, we signed a 37 year old McGeady who is patently done.  From the outside looking in, it’s just impossible to know where responsibility lies, but ultimately Bullen is the front man so he gets all the criticism.  

When you have someone whose job title is 'Head of Recruitment' then they should be taking a sizeable portion of the blame. Our model of raiding English village teams and hoping for the best was always going to come back to bite us when we inevitably failed to unearth an Akinyemi/Adeloye. 

Just now, AyrTroopMajor said:

When you have someone whose job title is 'Head of Recruitment' then they should be taking a sizeable portion of the blame. Our model of raiding English village teams and hoping for the best was always going to come back to bite us when we inevitably failed to unearth an Akinyemi/Adeloye. 

For every Akinyemi there’s a Gondoh.

The hit rate is abysmal.

17 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

We live in an era of made up job titles (that didn't exist ten years ago) and needless bureaucracy.

Back in the day, the 'head of recruitment' was the manager.

Mad that we have a sports psychologist yet we have a team full of pea hearted shitebags. That's two games in a row that Bullen has called out their mentality. In fairness, he does admit its a wake-up call for himself, too. 

Just now, Shibuya said:

Mad that we have a sports psychologist yet we have a team full of pea hearted shitebags. That's two games in a row that Bullen has called out their mentality. In fairness, he does admit its a wake-up call for himself, too. 

Think the wake-up call for Bullen, Mathie & Smith was after the utter roasting from Partick in the play offs. Nothing has really changed from last season (well maybe got worse) and we’re minus Akinyemi. 

4 minutes ago, malkyshotton said:

Think the wake-up call for Bullen, Mathie & Smith was after the utter roasting from Partick in the play offs. Nothing has really changed from last season (well maybe got worse) and we’re minus Akinyemi. 

I don't think that was a wake up call for Bullen, judging by his antics in the hub afterwards. Mathie maybe, dunno about Smith, prob not.

Genuinely wonder what the approach will be next time around for appointing a manager, first timer v experienced. I can't imagine we'd be in a position to head hunt unless it was from a much smaller side, so it will probably be the usual list of merry-go-rounders. If it is a rookie then they absolutely need to bring in an experience number 2, regardless of the rookie's age. Even McCall had the foresight to go after strong assistants as part of his team, albeit he was only 50 when he arrived. 

3 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

I don't think that was a wake up call for Bullen, judging by his antics in the hub afterwards. Mathie maybe, dunno about Smith, prob not.

Should maybe have clarified that this “should” have been the wake up call.

53 minutes ago, Ayr23 said:

If Bullen goes, who are we getting in? McGeady to take the team until the end of the season? Could McGeady convince Scott Brown to come to Ayr? 

Not sure he would take much convincing. He's desperate for a managerial job.

The “wake up call” shoulda been watching the first 8-9 games of last season and going “aw shit, this team is bowfin without Akinyemi”. It’s obvious to anybody with the gift of eyesight that we’ve been crap for the last few seasons, and where the deficiencies lie.