The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Just now, Thereisalight.. said:

I'd be punting Mathie as well. Guy swans around like he owns the place whilst being part of the mess of dross signings we've had. If Bullen goes, get this chancer away as well

He does have a lot of questions to answer.  Comes over as a poundland Martin Bain

2 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Pretty sure I saw him in the press area on Saturday. Can only hope that opening half an hour would have put him off applying for the job if/when it comes up 

Praying he was not invited.

2 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I'd be punting Mathie as well. Guy swans around like he owns the place whilst being part of the mess of dross signings we've had. If Bullen goes, get this chancer away as well

You don’t rip everything up and start again when it goes wrong. Head coaches/managers have a life span and Bullen has reached his at the club. Ayr will likely go through this cycle again and again like all clubs do. 

No doubt Mathie has questions to answer as well.

Especially with the bloat we are carrying in off the field positions. This "premier league ready" patter is tedius as well. If you aren't ready on the pitch it matters not a fucking jot. 

I'm not sure I'd actually punt him (I think he has been a good thing in the round) but if I was Dave Smith I would be making damn sure he was told that he needs to sort this shitshow out or he's out as well. The structure clealry isn’t working despite the investment of additional resources (people and money).

As much as he annoys me with his buzzwords and powerpoints,  communication has gotten better. When Mathie wasn't here we heard f**k all.

21 minutes ago, wullieaufc said:

Seen lists of who folk would want as the next manager but who would folk NOT want as manager?

Might get people disagreeing but I’m not overly enthused at another youth coach getting his first crack at management.The likes of O’Dea or McManus might make decent managers but I think for the place we are in just now we need someone with experience in management where they have a history of implementing an actual tactical approach that extends beyond running hard and also a decent track record in recruitment. 

That last sentence automatically rules out Callum Davidson and John Hughes. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

You don’t rip everything up and start again when it goes wrong. Head coaches/managers have a life span and Bullen has reached his at the club. Ayr will likely go through this cycle again and again like all clubs do. 

So folk like Mathie should be "in with the bricks"? 

Personally I think there is too many in the backroom staff which is ironic seeing as we don't have an official assistant manager. Mathie has precided over what feels like at least a dozen dross signings. He should be held account for his failings just like Bullen 

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

So folk like Mathie should be "in with the bricks"? 

Personally I think there is too many in the backroom staff which is ironic seeing as we don't have an official assistant manager. Mathie has precided over what feels like at least a dozen dross signings. He should be held account for his failings just like Bullen 

I never said that.

I don’t think there’s too many in the back room staff at all. The decision to not have an assistant manager is Bullen’s. If he wanted one tomorrow we could go and hire one.

Mathie also presided over a very clear shift from relegation no hopers to a club that are very capable of achieving promotion. The summer was a mess in terms of missing out on players, which is always frustrating but doesn’t land solely on Mathies door. As I said it’s the first real blip for him so it’s very reactionary to demand his sacking.

Lee Bullen on the other hand has made numerous mistakes in his time at Ayr going from signings to match day decisions and so on. 

If we were to make a change in managers and next season was a repeat of this one then Mathie would be under real pressure. 

38 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye I’d have Courts.

Gary Bowyer was rumoured to have been interested in the Queens Park gig. If he was even in the slightest bit interested in coming back to Scotland then I’d be asking him. 

I think Bowyer and Courts are probably the top two candidates. Not sure who else I'd add to a shortlist. 

Lee Bullen can quite rightly look back on his time in charge and be proud with some aspects of his tenure. Avoiding relegation on the final day of his first half-season in charge and finishing 2nd last season were decent achievements - even if it can be debated that the 2nd place finish owed a lot to the contributions of Akinyemi.

However, he has long passed the point of having presided over too many horror shows now for me. Yesterday was the latest in what has become a long list. I would struggle to name another Ayr United manager who has as many shiteshows to his name. This season has exposed his limitations as a manager badly. 

I am sorry that it has reached this point. I have met and spoke to Bullen and I like him, he's a good guy. However, being a good guy doesn't help you to win any football matches - managerial ability (an area that he is unfortunately lacking in) does. It is time for him to go.

I don’t know what Bullens personal plans are week to week but I imagine he is maybe in Sheffield before coming back up Thu-Fri

He’ll 100% be in the dugout for Saturday unless he jumps and I don’t think he will if he’s convinced it’s the players fault. 

If we get hounded on Saturday, it won’t just be him that get it, some of the players will as well. So I fully expect them to get a boot up the arse either verbally from Bullen or the crowd on Saturday if we are getting beat. 

2 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

However, he has long passed the point of having presided over too many horror shows

We are well in to double figures of games where we have had no shots on or off target going back to the Hopkin days. Some of these have been home games as well. 

Bullen is a nice guy and I have no personal animus towards him. He has given it his best shot but he's been found wanting.

I will be amazed if he is in the dugout on Saturday. It won't just be Bullen who gets pilloried it will be Mathie & Smith. It is an abdication of leadership to allow this farce to continue.

He either gets sacked tomorrow or he’s in the dugout on Saturday. They won’t leave it until the day before the game and Mathie has always spoken about not making decisions straight after a defeat hence why nothing has been done today. 

A win on Saturday would only paper over the cracks but I don’t see us troubling Caley either way. 

He has to go - things need to change - we are watching a car crash in slow motion, over 2 years.

There was no point whatsoever in finishing 2nd last season.  We were 2 mins and 1 goal away from finishing 5th and the play offs are burned on everyone’s retinas.

If we go down, please can we go down fighting, not a slow painful fall.

In the event Bullen is punted, who do we think will report it first?

a) The club;

b) VOR;

c) Scott Burns/other media 'insider';

d) ITK P&B user; or

e) other

4 minutes ago, Iain said:

In the event Bullen is punted, who do we think will report it first?

a) The club;

b) VOR;

c) Scott Burns/other media 'insider';

d) ITK P&B user; or

e) other

Someone on here, then mathie and Vor 

Edited by ryanayr1987