The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

4 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

I don’t know about waiting 10 years for another Forrest. We have a few good youths in Tomlinson and young Ollie. There have been a few barren years but was that maybe down to hopkin and Duffy not being able to spot a player 

eta forgot about watret too

I had forgotten about Watret. 

I think if Bowyer comes in we’ll see an improvement in the likes of Bryden, Smith and Watret. IIRC he did a great job in getting a few young guys into the Dundee first team and Lyall Cameron won the clubs POTY awards. 

Would sum up our recruitment that for a club adopting a player trading model our top 3 players with the highest value are probably 3 teenagers (Watret, Ecrepont, Hislop) with 0 league starts. Also our lack of youth development means their value diminishes the longer they stay. 

12 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

I don’t know about waiting 10 years for another Forrest. We have a few good youths in Tomlinson and young Ollie. There have been a few barren years but was that maybe down to hopkin and Duffy not being able to spot a player 

eta forgot about watret too

And Jamie Hyslop at 16 in the Scotland squad regularly along with playing for the  Ayr United U18s , a real prospect , Max Guthrie also a great prospect , coming back from a bad injury and will be an asset to us 

Edited by Finlay21

18 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Put this in the wrong thread!

Given loans ending and Frankie being at AFCON, the new manager is coming into a bit of a clusterfuck squad wise. 

- Only five defenders, with absolutely no cover at LB. 
- Two poor right backs. 
- If they decide they want to play three in the middle of the park, well - they only have three of them. Two of whom probably struggle to have twenty senior starts between them. 
- Four strikers, yet only one is remotely competent. 

On the bright side, we do have some good options in the wide attacking midfield positions. 

Also - there are definitely question marks around our development of the academy players once they reach first team level. I don’t know who has the overall responsibility in terms of that but White definitely has a part with his role in the first team. 

You spelt “legacy” wrong.

31 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Just been sent a screenshot from the SRE page where a guy said he wouldn’t take Bowyer because “he didn’t smile once at Dundee last year”. 

Honestly the best opinion I think I’ve ever read. 

Must be the same guy that was on there the night Ross Caldwell scored his first goal for us and someone wanted him sacked for not celebrating. 

Edited by itzdrk

Indeed I forgot watret too originally. Dw has done great for the academy and anyone questioning that and his Coaching needs their head checked. Going forward with this uefa award I think we will see more local talent hopefully.

What I would say is that id like to see DW go back and spend more time on his actual job and have the coaching staff look after training.

8 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

Would sum up our recruitment that for a club adopting a player trading model our top 3 players with the highest value are probably 3 teenagers (Watret, Ecrepont, Hislop) with 0 league starts. Also our lack of youth development means their value diminishes the longer they stay. 

To be fair , not many clubs in the Championship are playing 16 year old players 

1 minute ago, callum-ayr said:

Chat is we’ve spoken to both Courts and Brown. Will also speak to David Gray. Not sure how reliable, but all sound like the profile we’d be going for. 

Gray and Brown seem like a different profile to Courts and they all seem very different to Bowyer. 

FWIW I’d be happy with Courts and I’d accept Brown albeit I’m not convinced. Gray is a no go for me given his lack of experience. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Gray and Brown seem like a different profile to Courts and they all seem very different to Bowyer. 

FWIW I’d be happy with Courts and I’d accept Brown albeit I’m not convinced. Gray is a no go for me given his lack of experience. 

Meant more by young managers looking to cut their teeth in management. Brown seemed to be doing ok at Fleetwood before the turmoil last season. 

I would love it if we didn’t build White up into a messiah type figure and were just grateful for his efforts. Again. X2. Please can we not vilify him if his amazing record isn’t replicated. There’s only so many times you can polish different shites. Even if he is the messiah, Jesus had his limits.

3 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

For me it would be bowyer>brown>courts > gray it’s close between courts and brown though but first choice bowyer by a mile at the moment 

Bowyer > Courts > Brown > Gray for me 

7 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Not sure how I'd feel about Gray tbh, becoming a bit similar to our own backroom staff just seeing off various managers.  

Babylon is a class song tbf

The clubs statement said those with relevant experience should apply. I took that to mean experience in the Championship or above or an equivalent level. I don’t see David Gray turning this team around unless Mathie wants a chat with a view to him being a potential option one day. 

34 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Chat is we’ve spoken to both Courts and Brown. Will also speak to David Gray. Not sure how reliable, but all sound like the profile we’d be going for. 

I don't actually know why Courts left Dundee Utd? He hadn't done badly as far as I can see. Then it was a short spell in Hungary where again it didn't seem like he did badly in what was a pretty short spell.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

It’s definitely a question that can be asked.

By imbeciles on Facebook, yes. Nobody else in their right mind should be questioning AUFA.

If your first team contains two (2) players from your own academy, this is typically considered to be a once-in-a-generation roaring success. This applies everywhere.

Remembering the end of the Reid era when Jackson Longridge got sent off vs Airdrie. Roberts, having basically the same IQ as the average SRE poster, decided to take it out on him. Wondering who ultimately came out of that fiasco looking better.

3 minutes ago, Thumper said:

By imbeciles on Facebook, yes. Nobody else in their right mind should be questioning AUFA.

If your first team contains two (2) players from your own academy, this is typically considered to be a once-in-a-generation roaring success. This applies everywhere.

Remembering the end of the Reid era when Jackson Longridge got sent off vs Airdrie. Roberts, having basically the same IQ as the average SRE poster, decided to take it out on him. Wondering who ultimately came out of that fiasco looking better.

I don’t think there is any questioning of the actual academy, there definitely should be questions about the pathway once they leave the academy and are signed to the first team though… 

Given the number of strikers we have, there is absolutely no reason for Bryden not getting senior loan experience this month, for example. 

Two players considered starters would be a success, we basically just have squad fillers from our academy at the moment. 

4 minutes ago, Thumper said:

David Mitchell (the goalkeeper, not the comedian) came through the academy and never made an appearance for us, before going on to have a decent career elsewhere.

Jackson Longridge is one we should have held onto longer IMO.