The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Using the words “coasting” “needing a wake up call” and needing a “kick up the arse” absolutely suggests that. 

Aye. But they werent out of hand dismissing him as utter shite.

The inference of the post I commented on was that everybody’s giving Chalmers grief cos he’s been mediocre for a few games. It was 2-3 tame, half hearted comments for your best players to get back to form. Hardly, bed wetting levels of breathless exasperation. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

I do think that Chalmers needs some sort of direction or instruction from the manager. I do not believe he is of the level to be given complete freedom to do what he wants as he seemed to suggest he had under Bullen. He is undoubtedly one of the better players in this league and is one of maybe three players who kept us afloat under Bullen.

Agree with that. He seemed to benefit from Brown directing him through the game as opposed to just being left to his own devices to produce star dust. 

The thing that annoyed me most in the Inverness game was that Chalmers looked so easy to nullify. He never made any runs in behind and pretty much hugged the touchline whenever Ahui had the ball, taking himself out the game.

On Saturday though he varied his positioning a bit more and it showed in his performance, although it wasn’t anywhere near his best.

1 hour ago, AyrAtlanta said:

The thing that annoyed me most in the Inverness game was that Chalmers looked so easy to nullify. He never made any runs in behind and pretty much hugged the touchline whenever Ahui had the ball, taking himself out the game.

On Saturday though he varied his positioning a bit more and it showed in his performance, although it wasn’t anywhere near his best.

One thing that Bullen had us doing well last year when we had both was switching Mullin and Chalmers wings. They seemed to thrive on that and it threw the opposition. Only really Amartey could do that this year with him and he’s hardly kicked a ball. Murphy just isn’t that type of player. 

1 hour ago, Coollestersmoothe said:

Aye. But they werent out of hand dismissing him as utter shite.

The inference of the post I commented on was that everybody’s giving Chalmers grief cos he’s been mediocre for a few games. It was 2-3 tame, half hearted comments for your best players to get back to form. Hardly, bed wetting levels of breathless exasperation. 

2 hours ago, Nelson said:

Chalmers and Dowds have kind of been getting an easy ride of late, so hopefully both will get a bit of a wake up call with Brown arriving. .  Based on their performances over the last couple of months, you wouldn’t be rushing to offer them terms for next season, though the potential is definitely there.  

I think directly saying that two of the only three Ayr players guaranteed to finish above Own Goal in the final tallies should be released is, in fact, a bit excessive.

I thought Dowds was good at Hampden. Worked hard, got the team upfield, tested the defence. Wouldn't be rushing to sit him down.

28 minutes ago, Iain said:

I thought Dowds was good at Hampden. Worked hard, got the team upfield, tested the defence. Wouldn't be rushing to sit him down.

Yeah, he was - but once a player has a couple of quieter weeks people tend to just continue to see that and not the good things they do in a particular match IMO. 

Not that I won’t be guilty of that at times tbf. 

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

I do think that Chalmers needs some sort of direction or instruction from the manager. I do not believe he is of the level to be given complete freedom to do what he wants as he seemed to suggest he had under Bullen. He is undoubtedly one of the better players in this league and is one of maybe three players who kept us afloat under Bullen.

I would agree with this. Chalmers is undoubtedly a quality player and a match winner. He has carried the team at points this season as have Dowds and Murphy. They are allowed a bad spell more than most.

Also, flair players like Chalmers are always a bit inconsistent. Everything they try doesn't come off all the time.

13 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I would agree with this. Chalmers is undoubtedly a quality player and a match winner. He has carried the team at points this season as have Dowds and Murphy. They are allowed a bad spell more than most.

Also, flair players like Chalmers are always a bit inconsistent. Everything they try doesn't come off all the time.

When you're a bit under the cosh or want to slow the game down Chalmers is good at holding the ball and winning you a wee free kick. He does a lot that goes unnoticed if its not a worldie goal or bit of skill.

Great player. First name on the team sheet for me.

Going by Brown's comment about there not being enough height, will we see a back four without Reading or McAllister maybe not tomorrow but next week? 

As for tomorrow I don't have much hope for a win, seems a bit too early for that, but hopefully an improved team perform. 

4 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Going by Brown's comment about there not being enough height, will we see a back four without Reading or McAllister maybe not tomorrow but next week? 

As for tomorrow I don't have much hope for a win, seems a bit too early for that, but hopefully an improved team perform. 

Its not out the realms of possibility Dundee utd aren’t the best team I’ve ever seen and brown will have them drilled and the squad will still have a bounce after the last few results 

eta- the support will be positive tomorrow too for the first time in a long time too so will hopefully spread to the team 

Edited by ryanayr1987

29 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Going by Brown's comment about there not being enough height, will we see a back four without Reading or McAllister maybe not tomorrow but next week

Tactically that sounds like a laugh I'm up for, daft **** won't see it coming. 

Screenshot_20240202-201702.png

5 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Tactically that sounds like a laugh I'm up for, daft **** won't see it coming. 

Screenshot_20240202-201702.png

Musonda has played LB a few times has he not, wasn't great though from what I can remember, and someone said one of the new guys can play RB. Or maybe it'll just be one of Reading or McAllister.

2 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Musonda has played LB a few times has he not, wasn't great though from what I can remember, and someone said one of the new guys can play RB. Or maybe it'll just be one of Reading or McAllister.

Aye Musonda has played left back but it wasn't good, he doesn't necessarily look quick in the middle but you wouldn't note him as slow but he looked really slow out there compared to a winger.  

Out of the new guys it's Sanders that can play right back, I've not seen it myself but I'd imagine it would be pretty similar to Musonda.  McHugh has played right back for an hour in a game, again no idea how he got on.  I'd probably prefer going for a back 5 of:

Reading-McGinty-Musonda-Sanders-Watret.  

image.thumb.png.582022fe68fa9e795dae1d13830ed53d.png

I think we should line up something like this. Probably won't happen but out of possession it leaves us fairly strong defensively and it gets our best attacking players on the pitch.

Last week we shifted to a 3 at the back in possession in the second half so playing this shape would allow us to go like this with the ball: 

image.thumb.png.5ee2919ad958df4cfbad54fe208e0be0.png

McHugh and Willoughby will probably get about 30 mins each, can't see either of them starting.

Edited by GuyIncognito

1 minute ago, GuyIncognito said:

image.thumb.png.582022fe68fa9e795dae1d13830ed53d.png

I think we should line up something like this. Probably won't happen but out of possession it leaves us fairly strong defensively and it gets our best attacking players on the pitch.

Last week we shifted to a 3 at the back in possession in the second half so playing this shape would allow us to go like this with the ball: 

image.thumb.png.5ee2919ad958df4cfbad54fe208e0be0.png

McHugh and Willoughby will probably get about 30 mins each, can't see either of them starting.

Chalmers won't be able to play tomorrow