The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Just now, No_Problemo said:

Stanger sent off for throwing his hands up - the state of some of these morons that officiate us 😂

From what I remember, his first booking was when Sibbald grabbed his throat. The second was when a Dundee United player sat down while in possession and won a free kick, Stanger put both Hands up in the air in exasperation and got a second yellow

35 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Don’t recall that at all to be honest.  Thought the defence played well and McAllister going off was the trigger for the defence suddenly looking very shaky. McAllister is limited and not the long term answer, but struggling to see how anyone could have major complaints with his performance today.

Playing a centre half on right wing weakened us but McCallister was dreadful defensively all game. 

Can someone please explain Ross Docherty? Didn't rate him when he was with us and can't see how he's captain of Dundee United. What does he actually do? Other than his goal I don't remember him doing anything else. He doesn't exactly boss their midfield IMO

1 minute ago, AllySloan said:

Can someone please explain Ross Docherty? Didn't rate him when he was with us and can't see how he's captain of Dundee United. What does he actually do? Other than his goal I don't remember him doing anything else. He doesn't exactly boss their midfield IMO

He’s a type of player who does things you don’t notice until he’s gone. He disrupts play a lot just by getting in the way. 

2 minutes ago, AllySloan said:

Not sure how it’s possible to not rate Ross Docherty tbh!

Think he's improved massively since leaving us .he was a stand out with thistle last season particularly in play offs was spreading passes like Zidane.  That's his game break up play and passing. Badly missed though I have thought syla has been fantastic last few weeks .especially with the ball at his feet and breaking up play .can carry the ball really well away when under pressure.

5 minutes ago, AllySloan said:

Thought he was class especially towards the end of his time with us. To think we replaced Joe Chalmers with him is a travesty. 

3 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

Think he's improved massively since leaving us .he was a stand out with thistle last season particularly in play offs was spreading passes like Zidane.  That's his game break up play and passing. Badly missed though I have thought syla has been fantastic last few weeks .especially with the ball at his feet and breaking up play .can carry the ball really well away when under pressure.

I just don't see what he contributes with. He's not a ball winner, not a great passer, doesn't shoot. With our current midfield, I see Syla as the guy who gets stuck in and Dempsey as the passer

Docherty was excellent for Ayr, though he was quite injury prone.  Seems to have largely got over those problems now it seems.  We’ve never really replaced him since he left, though that’s not surprising given there are few as good in that role at our level.  Properly nuts that some Ayr fans didn’t seem to recognise his value.

Just now, Nelson said:

Docherty was excellent for Ayr, though he was quite injury prone.  Seems to have largely got over those problems now it seems.  We’ve never really replaced him since he left, though that’s not surprising given there are few as good in that role at our level.  Properly nuts that some Ayr fans didn’t seem to recognise his value.

Just want to know what others think he actually does. He's not a ball winner, passer etc IMO 

19 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Playing a centre half on right wing weakened us but McCallister was dreadful defensively all game. 

We’ll have to agree to disagree.  I sometimes think fans get themselves into a headspace where they have a general opinion of a player that cuts across their actual performances on the park.  Call it The Sean McGinty Effect.

Just want to know what others think he actually does. He's not a ball winner, passer etc IMO 

He passes the ball well, wins the ball well, protects the back 4, recycles possession well and seems to have added some goals to his game.  He’s not Zidane, but at our level, there are few better in his position.  Which is probably why McCall took him to Partick and now Goodwin to Dundee Utd.  

1 minute ago, Nelson said:

He passes the ball well, wins the ball well, protects the back 4, recycles possession well and seems to have added some goals to his game.  He’s not Zidane, but at our level, there are few better in his position.  Which is probably why McCall took him to Partick and now Goodwin to Dundee Utd.  

I just don't see it myself. I think him and Murdoch are similar with their injury records but would choose Murdoch over Docherty tbh. Most would probably disagree lol

7 minutes ago, AllySloan said:

His positional awareness and defensive work allows the attack minded players freedom to run at the opposition