The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Today was the first day since Brown took over I was concerned by his line up. 
Bryden was a gamble, Tomlinson deserves a chance but perhaps off the bench for now and having a team that can’t accommodate a player like Chalmers is set up wrong. 

First half we dropped out of things for long periods and looked very flat, Murphy was the only creative force. We defended ok for the most part and the midfield put in plenty of graft but we didn’t look much like creating anything. 
Chalmers coming on Changed things, Sanders made us better at the back as well. I hope it was more of a gamble by Brown rather than he believed Bryden and Tomlinson were the answer today. Both out of position and he made the changes early so I don’t want to be critical of Brown or the players but less of that please.

We managed the game well after Airdries second goal and showed composure that was missing in the Bullen era, we’d have shat it when they went to 3-2 

Sanders made a difference but I am not sure the Christmas loan players are much of an upgrade on the players we had. 

Chalmers and Murphy’s inventiveness got us through today, along with Dowds finishing. Amartey was fine, verging on crap. Everyone else played well. We need to play Chalmers and Murphy every week. McKenzie and Dowds as well. 

If we drag out results that keep up 3rd to 8th for the rest of the season and get some business done early, I’ll be happy enough. Dowds and Chalmers are a must and getting them signed up now would set us up well early for next season.

27 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Wonder what points total will be needed to finish 8th?  The league is so crazy tight that it could be quite high this season.  Worry about it when we hit 40 points I suppose.  

At least if we have to play Hamilton in the playoffs we can always force them to play Rose….,

Never happy until we have 43 points. Airdrie were once relegated through the play offs after collecting 42 points and ut looks like something similar this season.

1 hour ago, Only me... said:

Daire O'connor hat-trick, Rose brace, and even Sam Ashford scoring today. Even Brad Young got one last night. Papa Bullen will be so chuffed. 

He'll be busy on Facebook tomorrow.

I thought Airdrie's goalie was atrocious. Culminating in him handling it outside their box. I thought he was lucky that wasn't a red tbh. I'd argue it was a goalscoring opportunity given the forward only had the goalie to beat. Karma reigned though with the resultant quick free kick we scored from.

Honestly that goalie was like a poundland Neuer, constantly off his line just parading about his box.

Edit - Had we had a Stevenson or Shankland in the team we would have scored one from range as the goalie was so far off his line.

Edit 2 - Just watched it back and a yellow for their goalie is probably about right. Given they have defenders in the vicinity.

Edited by Trogdor

10 minutes ago, yorkshirepud said:

Never happy until we have 43 points. Airdrie were once relegated through the play offs after collecting 42 points and ut looks like something similar this season.

Mental take. Current form suggests 37 or 38 points for the ninth place team, and the long term average (since we moved to 3 pts a win) of 39 for eighth place. 43 points would likely take seventh.

10 minutes ago, Ayrmail said:

Murphy’s assist is great

It's disgusting. Obviously was at the opposite goal to us so hadn't realised that he back heeled it. Fucking beautiful. 

The Simpsons Kiss GIF by FOX International Channels

Edited by Trogdor

12 minutes ago, Ayrmail said:

Murphy’s assist is great

Best player at the club by some distance for me. Think he went off the boil for a few weeks but at 34(?) I think that’s always going to happen. Reckon he might be used more sparingly next season as we’ll look to add more pace in those areas but he should still have a role to play. 

12 minutes ago, motley123rock said:

First game I seen under Brown. Anyone playing on the same side as the dugout will have Brown yapping at them for 45 mins as he did with various players during the game. 

Players at this level need that, just to keep the standard up. Something sorely missing under Bullen.

14 minutes ago, motley123rock said:

First game I seen under Brown. Anyone playing on the same side as the dugout will have Brown yapping at them for 45 mins as he did with various players during the game. 

I think he's a breathe of fresh air. It was when he picked Sylla up at Hampden and pushed him back on to the pitch as Queens Park were attacking and Sylla had been tackled. I knew then that he wasn't going to sit in the dugout or stand with his hands in his pockets. He kicks every ball and has high standards. I love it.

9 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Obviously hoping it’s part of a master plan and we look stupid but there is nothing about that side attacking wise. 

As you said nothing about that side attacking wise - apart from the three goals obviously.

Your hope to look stupid achieved.

I just hope the fans will lay off Sean McGinty at last. He was following orders for so long and taking the rap.

He was our MOM today. Brilliant Sean.

Well deserved accolades. Both as a captain and as a defender. Away fans seems to recognise this more readily than home fans???

8 hours ago, TxRover said:

Mental take. Current form suggests 37 or 38 points for the ninth place team, and the long term average (since we moved to 3 pts a win) of 39 for eighth place. 43 points would likely take seventh.

On current points per game, you're right but I'm an Ayr fan. We always take the worst case scenario, due to bitter past experience. See last season's play-off for details. It would be a relief if 10 points from our last 12 games were enough to see us safe considering how poor we have been for large parts of the season.

I am happy to see Brown try different players and formations to give players a chance to prove themselves. He has only just started working with them and will need time to fully assess them. I have more faith in Brown seeing us to safety than I had in Bullen.

20 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

I don’t understand why we punted Rose only to replace him with Willoughby. Rose scores 2 yesterday while Willoughby doesn’t look like an upgrade at all.

Rose has scores 3 goals in his last 2 games, his finish yesterday for the first was very neat. Seems he has found some confidence 

6 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

Rose has scores 3 goals in his last 2 games, his finish yesterday for the first was very neat. Seems he has found some confidence 

He's also playing in a league below. 

11 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

How was Amartey when he came on?

Good to see he hasn’t been completely bombed out, as I still think he can offer something in that McKenzie role in certain types of game. 

Looked unsure as to whether he was meant to stay wide or come inside.

When he got the ball, he'd stop and then try going past the defender instead of using his momentum. Invariably he lost it.

As someone else mentioned, every stoppage in play brown had him over at the touchline getting instruction.