The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, Nelson said:

Of the team on the park today, I’d keep McGinty, Sylla and  Dowds.  Wouldn’t be the least bit fussed about seeing any of the rest of them next season.

We won’t get back into the Chalmers debate, but Murphy surely?

And Dempsey too, but not to the extent of Murphy. 

Well I had done an insurance bet given it was McLean today. I didn't see any of the game due to other commitments. I tried to get a stream but it was problematic at best. I did win £35 which numbed the pain a wee bit.

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

Nope.  Murphy is too slow to play out wide - I don’t see how he fits into Brown’s objective of turning us into a high energy/high tempo team.  Dempsey has been off the pace for over a year now and has turned into little more than a tidy, hardworking midfielder who is just too limited to help us raise the bar at championship level.

That said, if we do go down, Murphy and Dempsey would be worth keeping.

7 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Murphy won’t be a starter next season but should still be involved.

Dempsey isn’t going anywhere either. He’s been very good since Brown has come in. Everyone was poor today but we were playing a team with better players and more depth. We’re winning the more important games in Queens Park and Airdrie. If we continue to beat those teams we will be fine. 

1 minute ago, Nelson said:

Nope.  Murphy is too slow to play out wide - I don’t see how he fits into Brown’s objective of turning us into a high energy/high tempo team.  Dempsey has been off the pace for over a year now and has turned into little more than a tidy, hardworking midfielder who is just too limited to help us raise the bar at championship level.

That said, if we do go down, Murphy and Dempsey would be worth keeping.

You need different styles of wide player, Murphy is a come inside and link up style of player and he is very good at it. If we want to be one of the better sides in the league next year it will be important to have that style of player too. 

Nine assists and seven goals, it would be crazy to throw that away! 

At times thought we passed it well in 1st half. Cheap cheap goals to give away though, Sanders had a mare, nothing worked for him today.

Syla took goal well. I absolutely cannot see what McGeady brings when he is subbed on.

McLean with an absolutely shite referee performance as is usual for him

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Murphy won’t be a starter next season but should still be involved.

Dempsey isn’t going anywhere either. He’s been very good since Brown has come in. Everyone was poor today but we were playing a team with better players and more depth. We’re winning the more important games in Queens Park and Airdrie. If we continue to beat those teams we will be fine. 

There is an argument that we shouldn’t be so reliant on him next season, but Murphy is good enough to start for most sides in this league - IMO he is a decent bit better than Mullin. I don’t see why he wouldn’t be a starter for us next year tbh. 

I do not see where the love for Dowds comes from, which will sound stupid after he scored 3 last week. I think watching Rose up front for half a season has skewed some folks standards.

I’m not expecting Dowds to be as good as Akinyemi but I wouldn’t rush to keep him on next year.

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

You need different styles of wide player, Murphy is a come inside and link up style of player and he is very good at it. If we want to be one of the better sides in the league next year it will be important to have that style of player too. 

Nine assists and seven goals, it would be crazy to throw that away! 

He might benefit from a change of formation I suppose as I think a 4–4-2 asks him to cover too much ground.  But fundamentally, any competent championship defence knows he’s not going to run past them.  Though It would certainly be good to see him have more to aim at other than an isolated Dowds or McKenzie spinning in circles 50 yards from goal.

2 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

I do not see where the love for Dowds comes from, which will sound stupid after he scored 3 last week. I think watching Rose up front for half a season has skewed some folks standards.

I’m not expecting Dowds to be as good as Akinyemi but I wouldn’t rush to keep him on next year.

Watching an Ayr United team with Rose and McKenzie up front will do that to you.

Performance wise today, had we equalised, no one would have complained about it. I think we were fine and competed well. Raith didn’t have many chances and we had them pinned back for a lot of the game. They contained Dowds and McKenzie pretty much completely. 

Mistakes cost us in the first half and having no left back overlapping didn’t help. 

Murphy has been player of the year so far for me. Absolutely velvet player. 

3 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

He’s competent I suppose, which puts him ahead of any of our other options.  I suppose we have to start somewhere with the rebuild, so I don’t think he’s a bad place to start.  But his goal scoring record is actually pretty poor.

3 minutes ago, Nelson said:

He might benefit from a change of formation I suppose as I think a 4–4-2 asks him to cover too much ground.  But fundamentally, any competent championship defence knows he’s not going to run past them.  Though It would certainly be good to see him have more to aim at other than an isolated Dowds or McKenzie spinning in circles 50 yards from goal.

I don’t disagree with that tbf, he works like f**k but I don’t think we get the best out of him by asking him to do that. 

I’ve wanted an attacking midfielder to sign all season and us to play a 4-2-3-1, but it just isn’t going to happen. 

I’m in the group who thinks McKenzie has a role to play, but the fact we are leaving the window with both him and McAllister starting is utterly criminal. 

We should absolutely keep Dowds next season. We know what we're getting with him, unless anyone wants to chance trying to land another Dipo from down South. Especially when there's so many other positions needing addressed 

Was a bit grim at times today. 

Felt like watching a Bullen home game with the side to side passing and repeat round in circles without actually threatening to create anything. 

Granted Raith sat in the 2nd half to try and hit us on the break but we don't have the creative quality of a Vaughan or an Easton to break teams down in the final 3rd. Chalmers seems to be getting worse with every passing game which makes it look like he isn't buying into the Brown regime. 

Never thought I'd say this but we missed Reading, quite tragic trying to watch a right footed Musonda play left back who looks like he's trying to run through treacle.

Sanders wasn't great either, at fault for the 2nd as he just let the ball float over his head instead of heading it clear. Obviously didn't know Vaughan wasn't there. Stanger and McGinty certainly the 2 best CB's at the club just now

2 minutes ago, shizzlemanizzle said:

He has and I didn’t entirely see it coming. Thought he’d be more ‘McGeady’ but he has been fantastic.

Not sure we have ever made a more pointless signing than McGeady tbh. Done as a player and what does he even do in his staff role?