The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

9 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

I don't blame the keeper, I blame the decision to play him in a game where we had a makeshift defence and he'd played one senior game before. 

Tomlinson last week and Clarke this week have been errors we could have been avoided. 

It wasn’t really a makeshift defence was it? One player was playing out of position. Playing Albinson yesterday wouldn’t have changed the result. 

3 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Aye. I'm not overly enthused when McGeady enters the fray but booing your own player as they come onto the field is just bizarre. Utter oxygen thiefs.

Club should identify and ban these individuals.

11 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Back to being plucky wee Ayr.

We could have won if the defender we signed could defend a high ball and the keeper could shout “fucking clear it” 

An average Dundee United team and a Raith team that had won one in 6 games and we only lost by fine margins…..

That's one way to read it I suppose.

I read it as a manager saying we played teams who have better players, in depth, while we have a first 11 and f**k all else.

He's right in that we did match them for most of the game, but we simply cannot finish. If we had went in at 1-1 and not 2-1, Raith would have been forced to come out more and not just sit behind for the second half.

We competed quite well but didn’t really put Raith under major pressure.
As has been stated by others really strange to play a young untried kid in goals over Albison. Sanders is a total liability and needs sent back up the A77 pronto. I still don’t think Willoughby is an improvement on Rose so don’t understand that switch. Some really weird decisions being made by the management team this season.

Bizarre that we’re trying to make yesterday’s result about the goalkeeper.  I actually thought the first was a cracking cross and finish though Sanders should have attacked it better.  The second was all about Sanders being slower than coastal erosion.  The bigger concern was how poor we were going forward - in open play, we never looked like scoring.  Our biggest goal threat was McGinty at set pieces.  McKenzie was a passenger as usual,  Chalmers has either chucked it or his confidence is so far gone that he’s just hiding, and while Murphy has some nice touches, they generally weren’t in areas that are going to hurt teams.  Hopefully there’s nothing seriously wrong with Reading as we really missed him down the left.

I suppose the positive of late is that we’ve been taking points off teams around us, but yesterday was a massive reality check.  We really need to stop trying to convince ourselves that players who just aren’t good enough are somehow “fine”.  The bottom line is that if we want to improve, we’re going to have to start signing a better standard of player.  Brown’s ruthlessness with Albinson indicates to me that he won’t be spending the next 2 years trying to force himself to believe that McKenzie is a football player.

17 minutes ago, Peil said:

That's one way to read it I suppose.

I read it as a manager saying we played teams who have better players, in depth, while we have a first 11 and f**k all else.

He's right in that we did match them for most of the game, but we simply cannot finish. If we had went in at 1-1 and not 2-1, Raith would have been forced to come out more and not just sit behind for the second half.

I have no idea how anyone can read those comments and come to the conclusion that we’re back to being plucky wee Ayr?

Saying that I’ve no idea how anyone can make yesterday’s result about the new goalkeeper either but there you go. 

44 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I have no idea how anyone can read those comments and come to the conclusion that we’re back to being plucky wee Ayr?

Saying that I’ve no idea how anyone can make yesterday’s result about the new goalkeeper either but there you go. 

He's making out that we narrowly lost to two massive teams. He said post match that the first three home games are Dundee United, Raith and Thistle, The top three, it doesn't get harder than that. It's not Liverpool, Man City and Arsenal we are playing. 

8 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

He's making out that we narrowly lost to two massive teams. He said post match that the first three home games are Dundee United, Raith and Thistle, The top three, it doesn't get harder than that. It's not Liverpool, Man City and Arsenal we are playing. 

Well it doesn’t get harder than those three teams as they are factually the three top teams in the league. It’s not rocket science. 

We did narrowly lose both games. We were well worth a point against Dundee United. Both teams are better than we are both in starting eleven and in terms of who they can bring off the bench. 

8 minutes ago, Ayrutd1910 said:

Said it before,whoever gave McKenzie a 2 year deal should have been sacked on the spot

I suppose he's a useful squad player. Problem is we've got too many of that type. Next season will be a big one for him as to whether he stays or not.

2 hours ago, Scott-ish said:

In my opinion the whole Albinson problem stems from being dropped by Bullen for having a poor run of form.

He's a goalie in the Scottish championship, he's going to make mistakes. Benching him just destroyed his confidence, he should have stuck by him through it.

We now seem to have lost a guy who was arguably the best keeper in the league last season due to insane decision making by Bullen. Unreal.

I'm not sure how Bullen can be blamed given he only dropped him once after Dundee United away in December. Stuck by him at the start of the season after he carried Moult's shot over the line and the latest two errors are basic goalkeeping.

Given the trend maybe the redemption arc begins 20th April.

40 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

You’re reading far too much into it. Not for the first time.

19 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

I suppose he's a useful squad player. Problem is we've got too many of that type. Next season will be a big one for him as to whether he stays or not.

Brown is the third manager to come in and play him consistently. I don’t think he’ll be a starter next season but he’s clearly doing something that managers like. 

58 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Well it doesn’t get harder than those three teams as they are factually the three top teams in the league. It’s not rocket science. 

We did narrowly lose both games. We were well worth a point against Dundee United. Both teams are better than we are both in starting eleven and in terms of who they can bring off the bench. 

If you want to be pedantic yes, if you want to look at it realistically, Raith, one win in 5 until yesterday and Thistle, one win in 5 including yesterday. 

Your second point, he has signed 4 players since he came in and we are worse off than we were before the window in terms of numbers and quality. You can moan that Raith have more money or Dundee United have more money but Raiths winter business, the same number of players in... was two loans from Dundee, one from Ross county and one from St Johnstone. Obviously we can't possibly sign loan players from teams of that calibre. 

We can't compete because of the quality Raith have on the bench? How about we stop signing absolute shite.

25 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Brown is the third manager to come in and play him consistently. I don’t think he’ll be a starter next season but he’s clearly doing something that managers like. 

They know better than me sure. Just think for a forward player he should be contributing more assists/goals for one.

3 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

If you want to be pedantic yes, if you want to look at it realistically, Raith, one win in 5 until yesterday and Thistle, one win in 5 including yesterday. 

Your second point, he has signed 4 players since he came in and we are worse off than we were before the window in terms of numbers and quality. You can moan that Raith have more money or Dundee United have more money but Raiths winter business, the same number of players in... was two loans from Dundee, one from Ross county and one from St Johnstone. Obviously we can't possibly sign loan players from teams of that calibre. 

We can't compete because of the quality Raith have on the bench? How about we stop signing absolute shite.

If Zak Rudden had the choice between going to Raith or Ayr, who’s he picking given the clubs current situation? That goes for any of the players Raith have signed last month. You still have to cough up money for loans. 

I don’t disagree that signings on the whole need to be better but Brown has inherited this squad and was given three weeks to make any signings he could. No one was realistically thinking he was going to make big, meaningful changes in that time. I don’t think for one minute we’re worse off than before the window. We’re pretty much the same. 

None of this changes the fact that we have lost two games against much better teams. You can argue form all you like but at the end of the day it was always going to be hard to win even one of those games given our current situation. 

1 minute ago, UpInTheAyr said:

They know better than me sure. Just think for a forward player he should be contributing more assists/goals for one.

And I think next season we’ll need someone to be starting in that role that can score/assist more. I think he’s fine to be keeping around as a squad player though but as you say we don’t five or six players of that ilk.

The goal is still just to beat the teams around us and stay up this season. Think these games against Dundee Utd and Raith have just underlined the fact that our squad and starting XI are nowhere near good to challenge at the other end.

Brown was never going to be able to come in and suddenly turn us into a great team, that's got to happen over the next 2 or 3 seasons.

If we continue to beat the teams around us we'll be fine but don't see us taking many points off the top 4.

Partick will beat us I think as will Morton next time we play. Not being negative, just think that's where we're at.

Bit of an overreaction from some on here to yesterday's result. We all know the squad is lacking in key areas and of course the performance yesterday could've been a bit better but ultimately the goal is to stay in the league and winning games against Dundee United and Raith aren't essential to do that. We just need to beat the teams around us and we'll be fine. The run of games in March is huge:

Dunfermline (A)

Inverness (A)

QP (H)

Airdrie (H)

We really should be looking at getting at least 9 points out of 12 here. That would put us on 38 points, beat Arbroath and pick up a few more elsewhere we should have more than enough to be safe. As for yesterday, thought the new keeper looked fine. Distribution was OK and had a few decent saves but felt he could've done better for the first goal. Sanders was at fault for both goals but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt due to the sun in his eyes and his good performance at Airdrie last week, but I'd still rather see Musonda or Stanger at centre back than him. Chalmers and Willoughby also disappointing. Hopefully we can get 1 more in before the deadline.