The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Imagine this place when we line up with Paddy Reading and Nick McAllister in the side in the league cup…

As long as they play well in the league cup group stage games it'll be fine.

Over the last few seasons it seems harder to not get a new contract than earn one. Probably a cost effective way of covering a few positions and frees up cash for Glendinning to shop in the depths of englsh football  

My concern with signing McAllister to a new deal is that it seems like a lazy option. No effort required to find a better option when there's a guy who's 'fine' in place.

As Robbo says, he is good to have around in that he can fill a number of positions. Should he be starting in any of them for a team with designs on the top four? Absolutely not.

5 minutes ago, Iain said:

My concern with signing McAllister to a new deal is that it seems like a lazy option. No effort required to find a better option when there's a guy who's 'fine' in place.

This seems to sum up the past few years for us. Half arsed. I've said a few times but I hope to god Broon gets the £ and scope to build and get away from this lazy recruitment that clearly doesn't work. I would say since Roberts was appointed manager we've been on a downward trajectory with the easy/cheap/he's a nice guy option.

*The appointment of Broon and Whitty is a step away from this and I hope it continues to the squad.

Edited by F.T.O.F.1910

McCallister needs competition and has done for a couple of years. He’s been better with a sitting player in front of him and has got forward more. His defending is still problematic though. 

Happy enough with him re-signing as long as we sign another right back. 

1 minute ago, F.T.O.F.1910 said:

This seems to sum up the past few years for us. Half arsed. I've said a few times but I hope to god Broon gets the £ and scope to build and get away from this lazy recruitment that clearly doesn't work. I would say since Roberts was appointed manager we've been on a downward trajectory with the easy/cheap/he's a nice guy option. 

Have you totally erased the McCall era from your memory?

Just now, diege said:

Have you totally erased the McCall era from your memory?

Shankland? OK, he went on to be a great player for us and went from strength to strength but I believe it was a cheap option gamble at the time. I'm not saying everyone falls under the half arsed approach, but it's been the direction we've headed In, in general terms.

25 minutes ago, muZZa__44 said:

1 down just paddy reading left to go

Yeah I think it's likely as well. 

18 minutes ago, Iain said:

This does not mean he is potentially not looking for a right back , what it does mean is that he has a player in the squad who can cover a number of defensive positions when the need arises ,

Edited by Finlay21

1 minute ago, Finlay21 said:

what it does mean is that he has a player in the squad who can cover a number of defensive positions when the need arises 

In a fully built, fully fit squad McAllister should be about 14th choice at covering centre back. 

Sadly it looks like we’ll be going with minimal changes in the summer. The status quo of the club on the park with continue. We badly need an overhaul and that includes McAllister getting fired into the sea. 

1 minute ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Sadly it looks like we’ll be going with minimal changes in the summer. The status quo of the club on the park with continue. We badly need an overhaul and that includes McAllister getting fired into the sea. 

With so many players out of contract I can’t see this happening 

Edited by Finlay21

6 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Remember when James Maxwell wasn’t good enough for us at right back but now McAllister after one half decent performance gets a new contract. Underwhelming unless we’re in league one of course

Tbh to Maxwell he was a left back playing in left midfield.  We don't rightly know how he would be at right back.