The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

We defended well in the first half for 45 mins Dempsey and McHugh where stopping their wingers coming inside freely, 3min after McHugh going off we lose a goal from exactly that. It was a lottery in the wind, few more shots in the second half and it may have been different. 

Just looked at your last five fixtures.

It would be nice if you could keep your "win one, lose one" record going right to the end.

The nine points you'd collect would see you finish in a decent position and it would inflict damage on Morton, Dundee United and the Pars.

6 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

Why the f**k was McKenzie in midfield?? 

Is Smith injured too and we've literally only got Dempsey as 1 fit CM??

He was in the bench.  I guess Brown really doesn’t rate him if he’d rather got with McKenzie.

4 minutes ago, Nelson said:

He was in the bench.  I guess Brown really doesn’t rate him if he’d rather got with McKenzie.

Tbf he has never really set the world alight bar his first match against Partick on the last day of 2022 season

In saying that i'd still rather have him there than McKenzie..

19 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

Tbf he has never really set the world alight bar his first match against Partick on the last day of 2022 season

In saying that i'd still rather have him there than McKenzie..

Didn’t see anything of the game, but I just can’t see McKenzie having the composure to play midfield.  Smith is limited, but I have to think he’d use the ball better.

Half the time I forget we have Paul Smith. Clearly isn’t rated at all by Brown if we’d rather play a striker there than bring him on. 

31 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Half the time I forget we have Paul Smith. Clearly isn’t rated at all by Brown if we’d rather play a striker there than bring him on. 

The choice would have been to bring on Chalmers or Smith ,I think it would  have  been too much to bring McKenzie  ( playing into a strong wind ) off at same time as McHugh , 

Edited by Finlay21

3 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

The choice would have been to bring on Chalmers or Smith ,I think it would  have  been too much to bring McKenzie  ( playing into a strong wind ) off at same time as McHugh , 

We could have just swapped McHugh for Smith.  

1 hour ago, Nelson said:

We could have just swapped McHugh for Smith.  

I know you dislike Chalmers but c’mon…

I know who I would rather bring on, there is maybe an argument to bring Smith on after sixty or so but I would be doing whatever gets Chalmers on the park. It’s obvious Brown wanted more work rate in there, with us only having two. 

32 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

Is that Mitchell doing the interview? What a difference he is compared to Callum. Asking goood questions and able to follow them up based on the answers Brown and Chalmers gave. Callum always seems to be reading from a script and is unable to deviate from it. 

On the game I didn’t expect us to get anything and expected ICT to beat Arbroath so we’re exactly where I expected us to be before a ball was kicked yesterday. If we can get 4 points from Morton and Arbroath we’re going to be worst case scenario 6 points (if my maths is correct) off 9th place come 5pm on Saturday with QP and ICT playing each other. With 3 games left to play we’re almost safe, 6 points would do it I suspect. 

Edited by ayrunitedfw

2 hours ago, Finlay21 said:

Chalmers showed it was the correct decision to bring him on I think 

Chalmers isn’t the issue..  The question is whether we should have brought him on for a central midfielder, leaving us playing McKenzie in (being charitable) an unfamiliar position.    On the face of it, bringing on Smith was more of a like for like replacement.  Chalmers could of course have come on for Bryden or McKenzie later in the game which I’m sure would have been the plan pre-game.  Unfortunately the injury to McHugh has forced our hand a bit.

But as noted earlier, I saw nothing of McKenzie’s contribution bar the clumsy penalty, so perhaps he played well enough to justify the decision making.   Smith hasn’t really developed since breaking into the team and Brown clearly doesn’t rate him, but I think I’d still prefer him to McKenzie next to Dempsey.  With a bit of luck Sylla or McHugh will be fit for Tuesday night as neither option is really good enough.

28 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Chalmers isn’t the issue..  The question is whether we should have brought him on for a central midfielder, leaving us playing McKenzie in (being charitable) an unfamiliar position.    On the face of it, bringing on Smith was more of a like for like replacement.  Chalmers could of course have come on for Bryden or McKenzie later in the game which I’m sure would have been the plan pre-game.  Unfortunately the injury to McHugh has forced our hand a bit.

But as noted earlier, I saw nothing of McKenzie’s contribution bar the clumsy penalty, so perhaps he played well enough to justify the decision making.   Smith hasn’t really developed since breaking into the team and Brown clearly doesn’t rate him, but I think I’d still prefer him to McKenzie next to Dempsey.  With a bit of luck Sylla or McHugh will be fit for Tuesday night as neither option is really good enough.

Prefer anyone than McKenzie 

4 points from these 2 home games and you've got to imagine we're safe from the play-off.

Easier said than done considering our inconsistency and our recent record against Morton. 

Just get it over the line and get this season by.