The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

7 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Mickey Hewitt. Remember under Hopkin he was the only competent midfielder we had for a spell. 

If by spell, you mean that one game against Dundee United then yeah…

I also remember Lee Bullen playing him as a number ten in that huge game against Queens Park 😂

I see Dean Keenan is leaving Troon today. A player who would run through brick walls for us although maybe not the best/most technically gifted footballer. Glad he got his testimonial at Troon hope he has success with his next endeavour 

5 hours ago, ryanayr1987 said:

I see Dean Keenan is leaving Troon today. A player who would run through brick walls for us although maybe not the best/most technically gifted footballer. Glad he got his testimonial at Troon hope he has success with his next endeavour 

Too many sectarian rants on twitter, then blocking people who called him out, soured any good memories I had of him

2 hours ago, mugen_power said:

Too many sectarian rants on twitter, then blocking people who called him out, soured any good memories I had of him

Have to say I don’t use twitter a lot so wasn’t aware of any of this 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

If by spell, you mean that one game against Dundee United then yeah…

I also remember Lee Bullen playing him as a number ten in that huge game against Queens Park 😂

11 hours ago, Shibuya said:

Hewitt is dreadful. That playoff game at Thistle was the stuff of nightmares. 

Aye, he was crap but there was a brief moment he was our only midfielder that looked capable of challenging for a ball and making a pass. 
it didn’t last long and shows how bad we were at the time. 

Edited by diegomarahenry

12 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

OOoooft.  Thanks.  That game was on the bloody telly.  Hewett lasted a full 60 minutes before being subbed off.

NB   Steven McLean was the Ref.  so it wouldn't have really mattered.

13 hours ago, Shibuya said:

Hewitt is dreadful. That playoff game at Thistle was the stuff of nightmares. 

He’s not that bad just not good enough for our level. Whilst I’d like to see the youth players be good enough to start, ending up in the league below suggests an ok job by the academy. 

5 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

He’s not that bad just not good enough for our level. Whilst I’d like to see the youth players be good enough to start, ending up in the league below suggests an ok job by the academy. 

I'll be amazed if he survives in League 1 to be honest. 

Hewitt has pretty much sunk without trace at Accies though. Maybe he’s had injury problems I’m not aware of, but you look at that plus the career trajectory of Jordan Houston and you realise we are very guilty of over hyping young players and desperately trying to convince ourselves they are something they just aren’t.  It’s not the worst thing i suppose, but it really got out of hand under Bullen with the whole mindless happy clapping thing opening the door to some staggering mediocrity.  

5 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

I'll be amazed if he survives in League 1 to be honest. 

He  was steady enough against the poorer sides and got a significant amount of game time out on loan. Tough call holding Partick against him when some of their previous attacking players were a handful for most players  

5 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Hewitt has pretty much sunk without trace at Accies though. Maybe he’s had injury problems I’m not aware of, but you look at that plus the career trajectory of Jordan Houston and you realise we are very guilty of over hyping young players and desperately trying to convince ourselves they are something they just aren’t.  It’s not the worst thing i suppose, but it really got out of hand under Bullen with the whole mindless happy clapping thing opening the door to some staggering mediocrity.  

I don't think anyone with a serious opinion thought Hewitt was particularly good, it was more often than not that he was no worse than the terrible senior player(s) he could play instead of.  

4 minutes ago, Nelson said:

I disagree with Houston he really had the ability to do better than he has turned out to be. Injury really halted all development and he regressed horribly. There was a reason rangers had a buy back clause there 

3 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

I disagree with Houston he really had the ability to do better than he has turned out to be. Injury really halted all development and he regressed horribly. There was a reason rangers had a buy back clause there 

Thought Friday night was your preferred drinking time. 

1 minute ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Houston had a decent 6 months in a very good Ayr team - honestly not sure if his decline was due to injuries or if he just found his natural level.  Scary to think our midfield during those 6 months included Steven Kelly, Alan Forrest, Luke McCowan, Ross Docherty and Mark Kerr.  I think it’s pretty standard now for buy back clauses to be included - don’t believe for a second that Rangers ever thought they would activate it.

Hewitt to Hamilton was a strange move as even accies fan said they didn’t feel they needed another midfielder and it shows with under 20 Apperances this season and only 5 starts no doubt he probably can do a job in a mid table league 1 team