The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

8 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

The O’Neills long sleeved tops aren’t the most breathable I’ve found. I don’t usually break out in a sweat standing at the football for a couple of hours. 

Aye lots of room for improvement. Big positives for me were Rus (again), Stanger and Watret. I thought Oakley and Dowds were poor and Henderson either doesn’t get involved enough or we don’t utilise him enough due to wanting everything to go through Rus. His corner and free kick delivery is poor as well. 

Rus is just a wonderful footballer - some of his passing is sublime too. 

Yeah, we didn’t win a thing going direct (especially second half) and Falkirk pressed the life out of us so we just lost it constantly. I’m guessing Murdoch is nowhere near it given how our central midfield looked - especially as McKenzie had a bit of a shocker. 

Henderson had the odd nice moment first half, but definitely loads more to come from him. 

Not quite getting the negativity - created plenty in first half and look good on the ball.  Rus is a player, and Watret for McAllister / McMann for McGinty and Oakley for whoever was playing as the 2nd striker behind the one up front last season all massive upgrades.   

Centre halves defended against a lot of crosses well - I was also actually really impressed with Falkirk - they play at some tempo and get bodies forward. 

We are obviously still a bit light squad quality wise, although if we could have had for example Murphy instead of Bryden and Dempsey avaliable so McKenzie didn't have to play CM in 2nd half it would have been better - really hope we can bring one or 2 players in who will be improvements to the XI rather than the squad.   Was nice to see the last 2 or 3 mins pretty much all played in their corner too.

Rode our luck a bit although strangely more in the first half which we played better in.  2nd half we seemed to be under more pressure and didn't attack much but didn't really have any massive let offs that I can think of.  

No idea how it finished 1-0 BTW.  3-3 could very easily have happened.

Massive win group wise though, means the last 2 games almost certainly mean something even if we lose on Saturday

23 minutes ago, Rodders1910 said:

How did Walker look when he came on?

He gave a McGeady style performance.  Think he'll have learned he needs to be quicker.  

Falkirk were very good so it’s encouraging to come out with 3 points. We’re always told how the league cup group games are an extension of pre-season and while I don’t agree, it was our first one.

Rus gets better and better every time I see him. He knows how good he is which is my favourite part about him because it means he is not scared to take the ball off anyone anywhere on the pitch. Sometimes if someone’s having a shite game it’s good to have someone who will come short and take the ball off you.

McMann’s best game so far as well and Stanger was his usual excellent.

I think it was a real eye opener at just how bad we were last season when you see how guys like Syla, Bryden, Reading etc who were meh are now being left behind pretty quickly.

A deserved win, we did the basics right and won the game and its where Falkirk let themselves down. They pushed up on the defence to force us to go long, when we had Dowds and Oakley up front, who won every high ball, they continued to do that most of the game, 

Falkirk have nothing up front, Nesbit and Miller are still every part of the players that were pish at Morton, ran about a lot with the ball but did nothing. 

Reading had a few car crash moments and Henderson overhit every corner, but apart from that, everyone did their jobs well enough. Rus going out wide kind of took any sting out of us. Oakley and Dowds did virtually nothing in the second half, Bryden did more in defence than attack. 

We need another option up front for games like this, Dowds was knackered for the last half hour and Bryden offered nothing going forward, If Falkirk had equalised, we wouldn't have scored again. 

A good result and a good performance. 

1st half for the first 20 minutes felt like we were back in 2018 with McCall on the touchline, playing 6 up front and being a pleasure to watch.

We then calmed down from a 100mph start and somewhat hung on, should really have been 1-1 by half time.

Second half we steadied the ship a wee bit and Falkirk were probably missing that final pass to do anything more dangerous. I firmly believe they'll be up there with Partick Thistle in terms of the best attacking front 4 in the league...

Defensively we cleared/headed away numerous crosses tonight into the box which we weren't doing last season. Thought Stanger and McMann were good.

IMO still glaringly obvious is what we've all been saying on here over summer that we're still missing a defensive midfielder who can take the game by the scruff of the neck and compose things. We kept giving the ball straight back to them in the 2nd half which was down to missing that type of player plus a young midfield with no experienced head

*we also need to sign a 3rd striker on loan because after Oakley & Dowds you've got nothing apart from Bryden and McKenzie which is never going to be good enough 

Edited by Rb123

19 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Falkirk were quite impressive and deserved to win that. Obviously they are a settled team and look more organised than us. Early days yet and squads can change dramatically with a few quality additions. 

I hate the “deserved to win” patter. They didn’t deserve to win, were they the better team throughout the 90 minutes? Quite possibly but they failed to score and we did score so they deserved nothing. 

21 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Not quite getting the negativity - created plenty in first half and look good on the ball.  Rus is a player, and Watret for McAllister / McMann for McGinty and Oakley for whoever was playing as the 2nd striker behind the one up front last season all massive upgrades.   

Centre halves defended against a lot of crosses well - I was also actually really impressed with Falkirk - they play at some tempo and get bodies forward. 

We are obviously still a bit light squad quality wise, although if we could have had for example Murphy instead of Bryden and Dempsey avaliable so McKenzie didn't have to play CM in 2nd half it would have been better - really hope we can bring one or 2 players in who will be improvements to the XI rather than the squad.   Was nice to see the last 2 or 3 mins pretty much all played in their corner too.

Rode our luck a bit although strangely more in the first half which we played better in.  2nd half we seemed to be under more pressure and didn't attack much but didn't really have any massive let offs that I can think of.  

No idea how it finished 1-0 BTW.  3-3 could very easily have happened.

Massive win group wise though, means the last 2 games almost certainly mean something even if we lose on Saturday

Aye I came on here expecting everyone to be fairly positive. Beat a fellow championship team heavily fancied to at least push for the playoffs. We’re clearly still a couple of bodies short but im delighted with the result. If we take anything from Dundee United then we’ve got to be strong favourites to win the group. 

2 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Fond memories of playing Stenny in Cumnock last season. Looking forward to the return fixture.

Will never forget Bangala being flashbanged by a ball and stoating about trying to stay upright.