The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

27 minutes ago, Kircer bairn said:

Be interesting to see how Brown’s hoofball tactics get on this season & maybe the sycophants down in Ayr will be in for a bumpy ride once the route one tactics are found to be as successful as his managerial gig down south. 

Congratulations... Genuinely... 👀👀👀On working out how to work the quotations on here.... 👏👏👏👏.... 

Without looking at a dictionary can you tell me what a sycophant is??? 

24 minutes ago, OnlyAyrfaninTarbolton said:

Congratulations... Genuinely... 👀👀👀On working out how to work the quotations on here.... 👏👏👏👏.... 

Without looking at a dictionary can you tell me what a sycophant is??? 

Ignore the fud. The word was probably produced by his autocorrect whilst he was licking the screen. 

1 hour ago, Superhursty7 said:

Shankland was a lazy arse and was done, Jamie Adams couldn't kick a ball any more, Dipo was a journey man who couldn't hit a barn door etc etc  All wrong

Alex Kenyon was done, Chris McGuire was done, Kevin Kyle was done etc etc all correct 

Devlin might be great, might be Ok or might be a disaster but as many have said he's not our only option, if it does not work he's a squad player behind Frankie, Stanger and McMann, Brown so far has not got many wrong I trust him again.

exactly, it's not like we're build the defence round the guy

3 minutes ago, ComradeDiego said:

Not sure how I feel about Devlin signing, more depth in the central defence I suppose.

Still think we need another couple in.

Could do with a different striker to Dowds and Oakley and send bryden on loan. Someone like grimshaw for midfield would be good too

10 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Could do with a different striker to Dowds and Oakley and send bryden on loan. Someone like grimshaw for midfield would be good too

A dcm that can play right back would be a good idea as surely a 17 year old , brilliant though he’s been , can’t play every game . On Dylan , the difference in the boys build from this time last year is off the scale , he must have done a power of work in the gym . What a find, if his form improves to the same degree in the next 12 months as it has in the last we’ll be getting offers from down south ! 

27 minutes ago, ComradeDiego said:

Not sure how I feel about Devlin signing, more depth in the central defence I suppose.

Still think we need another couple in.

Experienced leader(Brown made clear was missing last season) gives more options for injuries etc and also changing formations. Anyone we bring in is a bit of a gamble . Can only see a midfielder coming in if at all, possibly a loan.  A couple will go out on loan. We have some solid options for once to change games, instead of throwing on a couple of runners for the last 20 mins under Bullen. 

21 minutes ago, Iain said:

29 games last season is a decent number for someone who's supposed to be injured all the time.

Looks like he barely played in his last year at Accies with a long term knee injury, then 51 appearances in 4.5 years at Aberdeen, 1 sub appearance in his half season with Hibs, handful of appearances in his half season with Fleetwood.  29 appearances for Livingston looks like an exceptional season really, but perhaps not a huge surprise that he struggled for form given he’s not really had a smooth run since about 2019.

Time will tell I guess and Brown has earned the right for us to put some trust in his judgement, but it does look like a big risk, particularly given Musonda’s will no doubt miss a tonne of games.

As folk have already said on here, any risk of him being cack, injury prone or both is mitigated by the relative strength and depth we already have in that position. The most likely worst case scenario is that he’s just a bit of a dud signing who plays a few games before moving on. 

So it’s a relatively risk free signing. We’re not pinning our hopes on him, but if he’s anything like the player his career up until last year suggests he was, then we’ve got a very good signing. 

Feeling positive about the signings so far. 

20 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Looks like he barely played in his last year at Accies with a long term knee injury, then 51 appearances in 4.5 years at Aberdeen, 1 sub appearance in his half season with Hibs, handful of appearances in his half season with Fleetwood.  29 appearances for Livingston looks like an exceptional season really, but perhaps not a huge surprise that he struggled for form given he’s not really had a smooth run since about 2019.

Time will tell I guess and Brown has earned the right for us to put some trust in his judgement, but it does look like a big risk, particularly given Musonda’s will no doubt miss a tonne of games.

A minute as a striker no less! 

4 minutes ago, Coollestersmoothe said:

As folk have already said on here, any risk of him being cack, injury prone or both is mitigated by the relative strength and depth we already have in that position. The most likely worst case scenario is that he’s just a bit of a dud signing who plays a few games before moving on. 

So it’s a relatively risk free signing. We’re not pinning our hopes on him, but if he’s anything like the player his career up until last year suggests he was, then we’ve got a very good signing. 

Feeling positive about the signings so far. 

He had a contract with Livingston for this season, so I suspect he’ll be on a very decent wage with Ayr.  Won’t be easy to move him on after a few games if he’s an (injured) dud.  

I’d say we’re gambling on him being the player he was 5 years ago, rather than the player he has been since.  If I’m honest, it looks like an unwarranted risk when we want to get McMann to left back and our other centre backs are Stanger and an injury prone Musonda.  But in Broony we trust…!

2 minutes ago, Nelson said:

He had a contract with Livingston for this season, so I suspect he’ll be on a very decent wage with Ayr.  Won’t be easy to move him on after a few games if he’s an (injured) dud.  

I’d say we’re gambling on him being the player he was 5 years ago, rather than the player he has been since.  If I’m honest, it looks like an unwarranted risk when we want to get McMann to left back and our other centre backs are Stanger and an injury prone Musonda.  But in Broony we trust…!

Ach, you’re probably right enough. But the risk - unnecessary as it is - isn’t too great when you’ve got decent backup. Which I think we have. 
And aye, browns got some credit in the bank after the last few signings. Business has been  positive so far…so I’ll give this latest signing 5-10 minutes into his first league appearance to blow my socks off before I call for him to GTF.

1 minute ago, Coollestersmoothe said:

Ach, you’re probably right enough. But the risk - unnecessary as it is - isn’t too great when you’ve got decent backup. Which I think we have. 
And aye, browns got some credit in the bank after the last few signings. Business has been  positive so far…so I’ll give this latest signing 5-10 minutes into his first league appearance to blow my socks off before I call for him to GTF.

Not clear we do have backup.  Assuming we want to shift McMann to left back, which we surely do, we have 3 centre backs, 2 of whom have a track record of chronic injury problems.  If I was a gambling man, I’d say McMann will be playing a lot of games at centre back this season!

39 minutes ago, Nelson said:

I don't know what his most recent injury was, but for anything major the rule of thumb is it takes as long back playing as you were out injured before you would expect to be at your pre-injury level.

11 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Not clear we do have backup.  Assuming we want to shift McMann to left back, which we surely do, we have 3 centre backs, 2 of whom have a track record of chronic injury problems.  If I was a gambling man, I’d say McMann will be playing a lot of games at centre back this season!

We’d want McMann at left back, for sure. But that doesn’t stop us from ever asking him to cover at CB. So we’d have 5 who can play CB (including mcallister here). Injury prone, maybe. But there’s enough there to shuffle about and give you a serviceable enough defence. 

Edited by Coollestersmoothe