The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Just now, Iain said:

I don't know what his most recent injury was, but for anything major the rule of thumb is it takes as long back playing as you were out injured before you would expect to be at your pre-injury level.

He picked up a serious knee injury in 2017 when he was at Accies.  Aberdeen managed to get him fit for about a season and a half round about 2018-2020ish.  Guess it would have been during that period when he was capped for Scotland.  He seems to have been perma crocked for about 3 full years after that before signing for Livingston last year.  As you say, he managed to make 29 appearances which is encouraging, though less encouraging is their fan’s assessment of him over that time.  Livingston punting him from the second year of his contract while planning for the championship isn’t encouraging either.  Time will tell I suppose, but can’t help thinking there must have been lower risk options out there for the wages we’re paying Devlin.  Or maybe he’ll enjoy a much deserved Indian summer with Ayr after his various injury woes and Brown will be fully vindicated!

Ayr finished seventh in the second tier last season. Scott Brown or not, any player who turns up with international caps is going to have caveats.

Three years of Sean fucking McGinty and people are clucking and frowning. Boy I don't know.

11 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Ayr finished seventh in the second tier last season. Scott Brown or not, any player who turns up with international caps is going to have caveats.

Three years of Sean fucking McGinty and people are clucking and frowning. Boy I don't know.

Aidan McGeady has about 100 international caps….

3 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Aidan McGeady has about 100 international caps….

And if he hadn't been 37 and completely done, he wouldn't have gone to Ayr either. If he'd been 30 and only a bit past his best people might have looked at him differently.

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

Bag of cans and Fjortoft back.

6 minutes ago, cop said:

Ecrepont gone back to east Stirling for the season on loan

Best move for him they liked him last season and he should be guaranteed starter for them

1 hour ago, Aliayr76 said:

Don't think brown wants to play "hoofball" cause against Celtic the keeper just phoughed it &brown went mental at him.

I think we are set up to play whatever style suits us best. 

If we are getting pressed the life out of, we have the option to go direct.

I think in time some teams might sit off us and stop us  getting the knock downs from Oakley and Dowds and kill the space for Rus to run into. 

8 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I think we are set up to play whatever style suits us best. 

If we are getting pressed the life out of, we have the option to go direct.

I think in time some teams might sit off us and stop us  getting the knock downs from Oakley and Dowds and kill the space for Rus to run into. 

Yeah we'll very much be doing a more competent (hopefully) version of what Mark Kerr wanted to do in playing to our strengths but making certain changes opposition depending.  

There's no bitterness against Devlin on my part. Disappointment, yes. I was delighted when we signed him and he looked like a rolls Royce in the first couple of months where we picked up 10 points in a tough run of fixtures. Then he got injured and our season fell apart. I felt sure we'd settle once he returned from injury but he came back as if he'd aged 20 years. Perhaps the added responsibility of the captaincy put too much pressure on him or maybe it was a confidence issue, he was never close to being the same player. Thoroughly nice guy to talk to. Story is he was offered a deal with us but claimed he felt he was better than a championship player....that turned out well

35 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

There's no bitterness against Devlin on my part. Disappointment, yes. I was delighted when we signed him and he looked like a rolls Royce in the first couple of months where we picked up 10 points in a tough run of fixtures. Then he got injured and our season fell apart. I felt sure we'd settle once he returned from injury but he came back as if he'd aged 20 years. Perhaps the added responsibility of the captaincy put too much pressure on him or maybe it was a confidence issue, he was never close to being the same player. Thoroughly nice guy to talk to. Story is he was offered a deal with us but claimed he felt he was better than a championship player....that turned out well

Depends which Championship player he felt he was better than.

40 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

So he’s that bad that he was offered a contract with yourselves? 

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

So he’s that bad that he was offered a contract with yourselves? 

According to the Livi website, Devlin signed a one-year deal with an option for a second year based on appearances. Given that he played 29 games, it would certainly seem like he turned down any extension. I'm not particularly confident about him being any good, but given the dross we have had to endure over the years, I am willing to give him a shot.

I don't think any Ayr fan is going to sit here and say we are going to win the league we have enough PTSD from the last 114 years for that, but in an very open league we have given ourselves a real good chance, Brown looks to have been sensible in the market his goal at the end of last season was 2 for every position and we have that and hopefully we bring at least one more, we have not pumped money into the squad on one or two big names but have signed mostly experienced championship players who know this league with a couple of wild cards like Rus, I'm more excited for this season in a long time and I think it shows other teams know we are a serious threat when they are in here having digs about players, budgets and playing style.

6 hours ago, Coollestersmoothe said:

You mean you've never heard or uttered the phrase "ride the bitter bus to the macaroni factory"? Where have you been?

I mean, is that no where Livi play, the macaroni arena? I thought it was a fairly simple to understand dig.... clearly no 🤣🤣 Or have I had a brain fart and got that wrong?