The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Me too , Gillespie looked every inch a league one or two jobber .  I have a feeling all our out of contract players will be back with us come the start of the season . With perhaps the exception of DH . Which is fair enough if if saves money to be spent on the one or two players we I’m to sign. 

17 minutes ago, Tigerland said:

Me too , Gillespie looked every inch a league one or two jobber .  I have a feeling all our out of contract players will be back with us come the start of the season . With perhaps the exception of DH . Which is fair enough if if saves money to be spent on the one or two players we I’m to sign. 

I think Gillespie , possibly Geggan and 1 of Bell or Muirhead will go , we do need some new faces , there will be lots available when the Premiership returns and they decide who will be going out on loan , think a few clubs will be more fussy where they send loanees this coming season after all the infighting during these numerous votes , I also believe Harvie will be an Ayr player next season 

Edited by Robbo63

2 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

think Gillespie , possibly Geggan and 1 of Bell or Muirhead will go , we do need some new faces , there will be lots available when the Premiership returns and they deceive who will be going out on loan , think a few clubs will be more fussy where they send loanees this coming season after all the infighting during these numerous votes , I also believe Harvie will be an Ayr player next season 

If Harvie signs for a further year , then it will be a very similar boost to the Re signing of Shankland . I’d be highly delighted if that happens . In my opinion that would give us the best fullbacks in the league .

I think Gillespie , possibly Geggan and 1 of Bell or Muirhead will go , we do need some new faces , there will be lots available when the Premiership returns and they decide who will be going out on loan , think a few clubs will be more fussy where they send loanees this coming season after all the infighting during these numerous votes , I also believe Harvie will be an Ayr player next season 

I’d be pretty gutted if Bell went as well tbh. He’s proper captain material and we’ve not got a lot of them left right now. Muirhead is a liability and a bit mental but I’ve grown to like him tbh. He was also pretty useful playing as a defensive midfielder.

I get money will be tight but I think Kerr will rather stick with what he’s got a couple of loan and a couple of permanent additions rather than just bring in a whole load of loans. McCall was spot on when he said having too many loans means the squad doesn’t really have any identity.

Geggan is good cover but we don't have the budget to carry experienced cover. He has struggled with injuries for a while but hopefully the extended break will have helped with him and a few other unfit players. Wonder if Jamie Adams is missing playing yet.......

50 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

I also believe Harvie will be an Ayr player next season 

I'd be delighted with that. I may even forgive you if the strip unveiled tomorrow is honking. 🤣

21 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’d be pretty gutted if Bell went as well tbh. He’s proper captain material and we’ve not got a lot of them left right now. Muirhead is a liability and a bit mental but I’ve grown to like him tbh. He was also pretty useful playing as a defensive midfielder.

I've never rated Bell at centre halve - he has 1 critical mistake a game and more often than not we get away with it but it does cost us goals. A significant proportion of our support dont seem to notice but go bat shit crazy if Muirhead missteps or Roscoe falls over.

Strangely, as you say Muirhead is more effective further up the field as a defensive midfielder.

That being said I actually don't know who I would keep at centre halve. I expect it'll be 2 of 3 but they all have their pluses and minuses. 

Edited by Trogdor

I've never rated Bell at centre halve - he has 1 critical mistake a game and more often than not we get away with it but it does cost us goals. A significant proportion of our support dont seem to notice but go bat shit crazy if Muirhead misteps or Roscoe falls over.
Strangely, as you say Muirhead is more effective further up the field as a defensive midfielder.
That being said I actually don't know who I would keep at centre halve. I expect it'll be 2 of 3 but they all have their pluses and minuses. 

I’d love to see Roscoe step up and make the left sided CB place his own. I still think we need to add another one there as we never replaced Adams in January. Paul Watson would be a good signing but I’d imagine Kerr will go back in for Ndaba at Ipswich.

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’d love to see Roscoe step up and make the left sided CB place his own. I still think we need to add another one there as we never replaced Adams in January. Paul Watson would be a good signing but I’d imagine Kerr will go back in for Ndaba at Ipswich.

That is true that we didn't replace Adams. That had slipped my mind, a lot has happened in this short season.

I think there is a good player in Roscoe. He could be a bit like Rose and take a season to get going. He should probably be retained given he is still young and can improve.

I'm not sure Watson would be in our price bracket. Although given this pandemic players may not have the same number of options. I wouldnt say no to Ndaba, I was certainly excited when there was talk of him coming in Jan.

That is true that we didn't replace Adams. That had slipped my mind, a lot has happened in this short season.
I think there is a good player in Roscoe. He could be a bit like Rose and take a season to get going. He should probably be retained given he is still young and can improve.
I'm not sure Watson would be in our price bracket. Although given this pandemic players may not have the same number of options. I wouldnt say no to Ndaba, I was certainly excited when there was talk of him coming in Jan.

There was talk on Twitter than Ipswich were bringing in another young CB which would spell the end for Ndaba. Apparently fell out of favour with Paul Lambert. Taking him on loan for the shorter season to see what he’s like with the possibility of making it permanent could be an option.

I also believe Harvie will be an Ayr player next season 

I've heard the opposite and that his agent isn't letting the club talk to him... That would be very disappointing. I hope my source is wrong.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Yeah i thought Muirhead played some of his best games in defensive midfield, he was along the lines of a Jamie Adams destroyer/breaking up the game guy in his couple of games in midfield. 

With money tight in the Prem i could see some promising young boys getting released from contracts early which might allow Kerr to hopefully get a couple of gems in like McCall did with Smith/Rose etc

Edited by rb123!

8 hours ago, Ayr23 said:

I've heard the opposite and that his agent isn't letting the club talk to him... That would be very disappointing. I hope my source is wrong.

I believe your source is wrong 

I like Bell - maybe not as a starter every week but as has already been said, he appears to be a "proper" captain.  I imagine he has quite a good influence in the dressing room, and that could be very useful if we end up with a young squad next season. 

Muirhead can be good in the air, (usually) take a good penalty and is similarly experienced but at the same time he's a bit of a liability in terms of discipline -  Exhibit A. -  St Johnstone in the cup.  I can almost forgive a positional or technical mistake, but a small squad can't afford ill-discipline if it leads to suspensions.   If he was to end up staying, I wouldn't be annoyed either, but I'd be saying it should be Bell or Muirhead.  We may be able to get someone else as, like Robbo63 says, there will be plenty players available.

I'm genuinely torn about Geggan.  I absolutely love him as a player, I think he's been great at Ayr and his goal against Kilmarnock was one of my favourite moments.  He's a bit no-nonsense, and doesn't shirk a challenge.  He's probably a leader in the dressing room as well, and by all accounts he's a great guy as well.  If it weren't for his injury record, I'd happily have him staying, but I'm not sure we can afford to carry an injury risk in a small squad. That said, the extended break may be the best thing for him (and some of the other injury prone players) and if he could stay fit for a season (even as cover) then I'd be alright with that.  

Edited by super_carson

11 hours ago, Tigerland said:

If Harvie signs for a further year , then it will be a very similar boost to the Re signing of Shankland . I’d be highly delighted if that happens . In my opinion that would give us the best fullbacks in the league .

Come on now. 

Just now, ayrunitedfw said:

Who is better than Harvie? 

I don't think there is a better left back in the league than Daniel Harvie, including Hickey before he leaves Hearts.