The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

To be fair we also had no wins in 10 attempts in 2020, our last one coming on Dec 28th at Ayr. The likelihood is our "race" to the bottom with Thistle would have mostly depended on the head to head at Palmerston due on 11th April.

Had you factored in your complimentary three points due from us at Palmerston on 13 Mar 2020? 😆

In all seriousness, if they had usurped you guys I doubt they would have caught Alloa and then finishing 2nd bottom been despatched by Raith Rovers (Again!) or Falkirk in the playoffs and ended up in the seaside league anyway.

They've spent two months kicking and screaming about it. Time for them to get doon and move on.

10 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Zero wins in 10 attempts in 2020 suggests otherwise. I think Thistle were on a death spiral tbh. It would have been Falkirkesque come season's end imo.

You're maybe right but I think McCall would have dragged them over the line somehow and though they didn't have many wins, they weren't ever hammered if memory serves (apart from when they played us at Somerset 🙂).

This is why it should be two down and two up with the 3rd bottom team playing the 3rd top team in the league below in a play off. Would empty out another shite team and also allow for the possibility of a greater variety in teams each season.

For the record I think QOTS would’ve gone on to finish bottom however I wouldn’t have enjoyed that as much as I have enjoyed Partick going down.

3 minutes ago, Jazzar said:

You're maybe right but I think McCall would have dragged them over the line somehow and though they didn't have many wins, they weren't ever hammered if memory serves (apart from when they played us at Somerset 🙂).

Who knows? Their bounce didn't last long when McCall came in.

That 4-1 game, I thoroughly enjoyed that. So easy - it was almost as easy as the Berwick Rangers game in the League Cup.

Edited by Trogdor

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

For the record I think QOTS would’ve gone on to finish bottom however I wouldn’t have enjoyed that as much as I have enjoyed Partick going down.

I still think QoS would have survived. I dont know how they do it but they hang on in there in spite of AJ.

You're right on the schadenfreude, it's been delicious.

2 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I’m not sure if it’s common knowledge but it’s in the Ayrshire Post that we’ve extended the out of contract players deals until the end of July. 

Good call by the club. 👏

I’m not sure if it’s common knowledge but it’s in the Ayrshire Post that we’ve extended the out of contract players deals until the end of July. 

I asked this yesterday as I wasn’t sure whether it was June or July.

I’d imagine come the end of July we’ll be in a better position to offer contracts for the season or until January anyway.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Is that overall or just out of Ayr players?

When I voted earlier Jamie Robson was ahead of Harvie despite not being half as good as him. These things are a popularity contest anyway since most people will vote for their own teams players. Robby McCrorie should’ve easily won the GK vote yesterday.

Aye, this. Clearly everyone related to Roscoe, or who has ever met him has been in and voted for him. He wasn't even an automatic starter for Ayr! These sort of things are utterly pointless to be honest. Marginally less pointless than the Premiership one which needless to say had 11 Old Firm players in it. Fans are partisan, they will, largely, vote for their own players. The players from the biggest fan base will probably get in unless they have an awful player in a particular position and there's an obviously head and shoulders better player from amongst the other clubs.

I'm biased but McCrorie clearly was the best keeper in the division this year. You only have to look at the way we collapsed once he departed (though Brownlie was also part of that, back to him in a minute). I think he's probably in the top 10 in the country to be honest. Didn't win though of course. Dundee United's keeper did, and he's not a bad keeper, but he's not better than McCrorie.

The actual drawing up of the short list is a factor too. There's clearly an attempt to include the most appearances for each side but then you get the inconsistency of Darren Brownlie who was our best defender this season and also Partick Thistle's best defender not making the list whilst both clubs have two other defenders in there. Presumably because he didn't make enough appearances for either side due to moving in January. Not saying Brownlie should be in the team but he's better than all his team mates in the short list. Likewise no sign of Jamie McCart in the ICT list whilst Tremarco, Rooney and Donaldson (who also left in January) are in the shortlist.

However Roscoe is sitting top at the moment, his big early lead has already been slashed. I imagine by the time we're done there's a fair chance the three United players currently 3rd, 4th and 5th (and splitting the United votes a bit) will be in along with Tam O'Brien who clearly WAS the best defender in the League.

Aye, this. Clearly everyone related to Roscoe, or who has ever met him has been in and voted for him. He wasn't even an automatic starter for Ayr! These sort of things are utterly pointless to be honest. Marginally less pointless than the Premiership one which needless to say had 11 Old Firm players in it. Fans are partisan, they will, largely, vote for their own players. The players from the biggest fan base will probably get in unless they have an awful player in a particular position and there's an obviously head and shoulders better player from amongst the other clubs.
I'm biased but McCrorie clearly was the best keeper in the division this year. You only have to look at the way we collapsed once he departed (though Brownlie was also part of that, back to him in a minute). I think he's probably in the top 10 in the country to be honest. Didn't win though of course. Dundee United's keeper did, and he's not a bad keeper, but he's not better than McCrorie.
The actual drawing up of the short list is a factor too. There's clearly an attempt to include the most appearances for each side but then you get the inconsistency of Darren Brownlie who was our best defender this season and also Partick Thistle's best defender not making the list whilst both clubs have two other defenders in there. Presumably because he didn't make enough appearances for either side due to moving in January. Not saying Brownlie should be in the team but he's better than all his team mates in the short list. Likewise no sign of Jamie McCart in the ICT list whilst Tremarco, Rooney and Donaldson (who also left in January) are in the shortlist.
However Roscoe is sitting top at the moment, his big early lead has already been slashed. I imagine by the time we're done there's a fair chance the three United players currently 3rd, 4th and 5th (and splitting the United votes a bit) will be in along with Tam O'Brien who clearly WAS the best defender in the League.

Also noticed our own Jordan Houston is missing from the shortlist despite being one of the better full backs in the league. Only Comrie at Dunfermline has looked better than him when I’ve seen him play. But nah the SPFL will include Aaron Muirhead who is a complete liability and was poor for most of the season and Sam Roscoe who was behind said Aero in the pecking order and didn’t start many games.

53 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

It better not as you’ve built it up to be a belter 😂

My opinion is based on that it’s 2 of my favourite colours , but seeing it now , it is smart , will look much smarter when you see the full kit 

Edited by Robbo63

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

I asked this yesterday as I wasn’t sure whether it was June or July.

I’d imagine come the end of July we’ll be in a better position to offer contracts for the season or until January anyway.

They were furloughed to end of June to start with , now that the start date has been pushed back they are now to end of July , after that is when offers will be made as training should not start to end August and beginning of September , I think we will see at least 50% of them getting a contract 

They were furloughed to end of June to start with , now that the start date has been pushed back they are now to end of July , after that is when offers will be made as training should not start to end August and beginning of September , I think we will see at least 50% of them getting a contract 

The only 2 that I don’t think will get an offer will be Gillespie and Geggan. Whether or not others like Harvie decide of their own accord to leave is a different matter.

Geggan I’d keep, Gillespie can go as far as I’m concerned.

Aye I’d be disappointed if Geggan left but he doesn’t strike me as a player Kerr really likes. Wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him at Firhill next season if he does leave.

Edit to add: I’ll be sad if Geggan goes but it won’t be anything compared to how gutted I’ll be if Moffat leaves. I wouldn’t be too surprised to see it either.

47 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

e only 2 that I don’t think will get an offer will be Gillespie and Geggan. Whether or not others like Harvie decide of their own accord to leave is a different matter.

Geggan gives you cover at right back , right and centre midfield . A very flexible player to lose , but yes his pace is suspect and he is injury prone .