The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

The system we are playing 4-2-3-1 doesn't actually rely upon the 1 scoring. The three behind are just as important, the 1 needs to hold the ball up, play it to one of the 3 behind and then get forward as an option to receive the ball. The system doesn't need the 1 to be a Shankland or a Moore.

Honestly with the amount of money clearly being substantial in the summer transfer window with the quality of signings, I can't see much being available to sign many players this month.

Think people would have to move on to get players in, can see McKenzie getting punted out on loan, I'd be looking at getting Ecrepont back possibly. Miller is only on a one year deal I think so could see him possibly getting punted, was a bizarre signing in the first place as a bang average league 1 player by all accounts, I'd punt Roscoe this month as well if I could, absolutely donkey in my eyes who's not improved at all over last 18 months imo.

This drastic movement of players this month is highly unrealistic however and would only happen with a new manager.

Honestly think we'll sign 2 or 3 at a very push. They'll either be loans or releases from contracts who aren't getting enough game time

Wonder what's the script with Jamie Ness? Left Dundee in October and never signed for anyone else, irvine lad but had his injury prone spells. Could be the type of midfielder we're after though, could be worth a punt on a deal until end of the season

1 minute ago, ryanayr1987 said:

I understand that but if we signed someone that would score 1in 3/4 and give us a focal point it would give the lads behind him a lift and encourage us going forward 

Agree with that, I just think a new centre half and centre midfielder need to be the priority. We need a bit of steel through the team and some characters who will stand up and be counted. 

7 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Nonsense. While It won’t  fix ALL our problems (We need a good few players in January) it will certainly help. The likes of Moffat and McKenzie can’t be relied on to score lots of goals. 

We haven't had issue scoring goals so far having it failed to score in 3 games (all comps) since the season began.  We have conceded more than two goals 6 times.  

Smith to sign then we need a defender to play with Muirhead and we need a ball winner to play with Chalmers then we need a striker after the biggest problems are resolved.  

Bringing in a striker who’ll score a handful of goals will paper over a few cracks but I think it’s more important we look at bringing in players who’ll make the team more solid and help us concede fewer goals.

As itzdrk said a centre half and a no nonsense ball winner in the middle of the park is what we really need. Although I’d be more inclined to find an experienced partner for Baird and play Muirhead at right back.

1 minute ago, HMIP said:

We aren’t scoring though.  3 goals in our last 4 home games, including 2 nil nil draws.  

:lol:

So we forget scoring 8 in our last 4 away games? We are scoring goals, we are not keeping them out.  It's really easy to see where the big issue is and it is not a striker (we could do with one but they are down the list). 

7 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

:lol:

So we forget scoring 8 in our last 4 away games? We are scoring goals, we are not keeping them out.  It's really easy to see where the big issue is and it is not a striker (we could do with one but they are down the list). 

Throw in the 1-1 draw against Stranraer and 1-0 win against Annan in the league cup as well.  We do seem to be good at scoring consolation goals away from home though.  Worth pointing out that strikers aren’t just about scoring goals.  The fact that the forward line is offering no out ball and isn’t holding the ball up at all is doubtless adding to our problems in other areas of the park. We have about 3 No 10s at the club who are looking to link the play, but have nothing to link with.  

55 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Bringing in a striker who’ll score a handful of goals will paper over a few cracks but I think it’s more important we look at bringing in players who’ll make the team more solid and help us concede fewer goals.

Worked with Shankland.

If they score four we'll score five.

7 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Worked with Shankland.

If they score four we'll score five.

Thing is, it really didn’t.  Our defence and goalkeeper was so inept that season we were well on the way to blowing a league title by Christmas.  Difference came with the addition of Bell and to some extent Kerr..  That’s what we badly need now - the addition of some solid experience and basic competence in game management.  

16 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

When we brought in Stevenson, Keenan and McGowan during difficult periods, their effort lifted the club, bringing in 2-3 players that hate losing or have high standards that can drag other players with them, Like Harvey or Adams, Keenan, Docherty, Shankland....Muirhead and McCowan seem those types of players, after the end of the month, hopefully Smith as well. 

Quote where I said this

We still make errors, the same ones every week. we have not got better, either coaching has failed to fix it, man management has failed to address the fact that training hasn't fixed it or the players aren't good enough to learn from it. Kerrs post match interview suggests that he sees it as the latter and who knows what the players think. 

There is not one sign that it will improve other than a vague hint that a player that is highly regarded might come on loan. Anderson was highly regarded, high regard doesn't equal actual talent. There needs to be improvement now, rapid improvement or this season goes from being a failure to being a shitshow.  Cameron himself said that we were aiming for promotion this year.

For me, improvement would be 2nd or 3rd, be in the hunt  beyond Christmas and 1-2 players to develop, like McCowan, Houston, Reading and McKenzie to the point we would get money for them or they would at least move up a level. All realistic targets based on the last two years. 

Using the same set of calculations as yourself, that would then require under achievment by Hearts, Dundee, Dunfermline and Inverness as all these clubs would certainly expect to be above Ayr United given their budgets.

The reality is that we're a mid table Championship club who will occasionally have a really good season as our new signings will "click" and we might even unearth a "gem" or two via our own youth policy, however until we can compete financially with the likes of Dundee and Dunfermline then we certainly can't "expect" to be pushing for promotion to the Premier every season as there's really nothing between ourselves, Morton, Queens and Raith.

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

Using the same set of calculations as yourself, that would then require under achievment by Hearts, Dundee, Dunfermline and Inverness as all these clubs would certainly expect to be above Ayr United given their budgets.

The reality is that we're a mid table Championship club who will occasionally have a really good season as our new signings will "click" and we might even unearth a "gem" or two via our own youth policy, however until we can compete financially with the likes of Dundee and Dunfermline then we certainly can't "expect" to be pushing for promotion to the Premier every season as there's really nothing between ourselves, Morton, Queens and Raith.

While I agree to a certain extent our budget will be far bigger than Morton and QOTS this year. You just need to look at the players we have brought in to know that. The likes of Baird and Chalmers won’t be on peanuts. 

While I agree to a certain extent our budget will be far bigger than Morton and QOTS this year. You just need to look at the players we have brought in to know that. The likes of Baird and Chalmers won’t be on peanuts. 

I don’t really think they’ll be on above average wages either though. The kicker for them will have been the 2 year deal.

14 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Is that seriously your level of expectation? Just to be competitive?

We’re not plucky wee Brechin from the 17/18 season for f**k’s sake. We’ve finished fourth the last two seasons, we should be aspiring to be more than just “competitive”.

We might still finish 4th, there's a long way to go and this league is wide open.

Just look at the transformation of Dundee over the space of 3 or 4 weeks, they've gone from relegation candidates to potential league winners !!

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t really think they’ll be on above average wages either though. The kicker for them will have been the 2 year deal.

Possibly but the likes of Morton and Queens were scrapping about last minute trying to put a team together. 

2 hours ago, rb123! said:

Honestly with the amount of money clearly being substantial in the summer transfer window with the quality of signings, I can't see much being available to sign many players this month.

Think people would have to move on to get players in, can see McKenzie getting punted out on loan, I'd be looking at getting Ecrepont back possibly. Miller is only on a one year deal I think so could see him possibly getting punted, was a bizarre signing in the first place as a bang average league 1 player by all accounts, I'd punt Roscoe this month as well if I could, absolutely donkey in my eyes who's not improved at all over last 18 months imo.

This drastic movement of players this month is highly unrealistic however and would only happen with a new manager.

Honestly think we'll sign 2 or 3 at a very push. They'll either be loans or releases from contracts who aren't getting enough game time

Wonder what's the script with Jamie Ness? Left Dundee in October and never signed for anyone else, irvine lad but had his injury prone spells. Could be the type of midfielder we're after though, could be worth a punt on a deal until end of the season

Not writing Ecrepont off but if he can't hold down a regular place in this current Albion Rovers team then he's not the answer to our current problems other than being an extra body.  Unfortunately he's not kicked on as much as Josh Doig and Josh Reid both of whom are are playing in the Premiership and are now ahead of him for the Scotland U19's LB spot.

Miller was reported as a two year deal here https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/former-celtic-youth-michael-miller-22480043 so wouldn't get your hopes up.

As for Ness I'd pass as no doubt he'd get injured in training and would never play a game.