The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Another couple of stats from @Div who I think is the Twitter guy?  Youngest average age of starters (I'm guessing that's based on anyone who had started rather than average age of starting XI but it's one I'm going to add into my records) and also Sinisalo right up there with Craig Gordon.  

Screenshot_20210216-232252_Twitter.jpg

Screenshot_20210216-232324_Twitter.jpg

10 hours ago, Hursty said:

Another couple of stats from @Div who I think is the Twitter guy?  Youngest average age of starters (I'm guessing that's based on anyone who had started rather than average age of starting XI but it's one I'm going to add into my records) and also Sinisalo right up there with Craig Gordon.  

Screenshot_20210216-232324_Twitter.jpg

Have been incredibly impressed by Sinisalo so far this season, he's done a couple of daft things here and there but in general been superb. He's miles ahead of the experienced keepers we've had over the years in alot of areas. If he sorts out his confidence with dealing with crosses, then there is no reason why he won't go on to have a very good career. In particular his fast moving on of the ball has been a new dimension for us we've rarely seen.  There was a stat banded around a few weeks ago showing number of saves, iirc he was about 20 ahead of the next on the list, which is either a damning report on our defending prior to the January tweaks or a huge plus point for the lad. 

Hi all, an Airdrie fan looking for a favour - I know, I know, there’s unlikely to be a mad rush!

I’ve got Paul Lovering lined up for an interview about his career and just looking for any key memories you guys have of him as a player/opponent.

Thanks in advance
Played in the season we got to the cup final and semi final. Think it was him who gave away the penalty in the final v Rangers.

You could ask him about that run. Or even about Bill Barr. I don't mean that as a wind up btw but he played for 2 clubs with vastly different experiences of Barr. When Lovering was with us Barr paid out a lot of money and was often in the dugout with Gordon Dalziel and whatever assistant he had at the time like Frank Connor and Iain Munro.

Lovering always gave his all with us.Played alongside some of our best players of the last 25 years.

10 hours ago, Hursty said:

Surprised ours is as high as that. It's clearly being significantly corrupted by Dobbie (38) and Gibson (36).

Hadn't actually realised Rohan Ferguson hadn't had a clean sheet yet in the League until I read that either. We've only had two in the League and Jack Leighfield was in goal for the Alloa one and 16 year old Charlie Cowie for the Raith one. Ferguson had a clean sheet v Queen's Park in the Scottish Cup but none in the League.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

22 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Surprised ours is as high as that. It's clearly being significantly corrupted by Dobbie (38) and Gibson (36).

Hadn't actually realised Rohan Ferguson hadn't had a clean sheet yet in the League until I read that either. We've only had two in the League and Jack Leighfield was in goal for the Alloa one and 16 year old Charlie Cowie for the Raith one. Ferguson had a clean sheet v Queen's Park in the Scottish Cup but none in the League.

Funnily enough our outliers are also Kerr (38) and Moffat (36). 

3 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

Funnily enough our outliers are also Kerr (38) and Moffat (36). 

I've just worked ours out. I'm not sure where P&B get their stats from but we're nowhere near 25 if it's just a simple total age over number of players used calculation. I make it 22.6 even with Gibson and Dobbie. It's maybe an average starting 11 stat. That would take more working out. We'd be higher in that as the likes of McCabe (28), Buchanan (30) and McKee (28) are regular starters along with Gibson and Dobbie.

I think his age one is wrong:

1. Arbroath - 28.8

2. Hearts 28.7

3. Alloa - 27.9

4. Dundee - 27.5

5. Dunfermline - 25.5

6. Inverness - 25.2

7/8. Ayr/Queens - 25.1

9. Morton - 24.7

10. Raith Rovers - 24.5

Average - 26.3

Edited by itzdrk

9 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I think his age one is wrong:

1. Arbroath - 28.8

2. Hearts 28.7

3. Alloa - 27.9

4. Dundee - 27.5

5. Dunfermline - 25.5

6. Inverness - 25.2

7/8. Ayr/Queens - 25.1

9. Morton - 25.7

10. Raith Rovers - 25.5

Average - 26.3

How are you working this one out? What method?

And why are Morton and Raith 9th and 10th if the age is older than Ayr, Queens and Inverness?

Edited by Skyline Drifter

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

How are you working this one out? What method?

And why are Morton and Raith 9th and 10th if the age is older than Ayr, Queens and Inverness?

Wyscout for me. 

I typed the wrong numbers, I've amended it now. 

Interesting article about Moore in the Record today, worth a read.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/ayr-united-striker-craig-moore-23513105

The guy has had absolutely no luck with injuries, and I was surprised he was as young as 26.  Sounds like he wants to stay at Ayr and hopes to be able to play at some point this season.  He's clearly a decent player and just hasn't been able to get a run of games together to get any form back.  It's hard, given his injuries, to take a risk on him again but I've always liked him as a player and it's not like he's the wrong side of 30.  

Played in the season we got to the cup final and semi final. Think it was him who gave away the penalty in the final v Rangers.

You could ask him about that run. Or even about Bill Barr. I don't mean that as a wind up btw but he played for 2 clubs with vastly different experiences of Barr. When Lovering was with us Barr paid out a lot of money and was often in the dugout with Gordon Dalziel and whatever assistant he had at the time like Frank Connor and Iain Munro.

Lovering always gave his all with us.Played alongside some of our best players of the last 25 years.

Thanks for this- really helpful. It seems like Lovers was solid and dependable rather than a star in a successful Ayr team?

Re: the late Bill Barr, a pantomime villain of the piece for me.

Bigger issue was our Board not having the skills to manage the Stadium build. Relied on David Smith who had been a civil engineer. He fell ill during the build and progress meetings took place without anyone from the club present. You leave yourself open to cost overuns etc. and the mercy of contractors at that point. There was a dispute as to how much was owed to Barr Construction and a feeling from those involved that Barr Construction’s claim was grossly inflated. Again’ more the fault of our old board.

I remember reading Barr would be in the dugout because he was struggling with his eye sight at that time.

He obviously did put a lot of money into Ayr,it just always seemed odd that he was never able to help in having a ground built - although as time goes on it’s the fans of all the clubs with Lego Land Barr stands that wish they had a Somerset Park!

The part that I’ve never understood is whether there was any Barr Influence in those who became preferred bidders post the failed Archibald takeover.

Bill Hunter (ex Livi) and Andy Gemmell (ex Dumbarton and who went back there immediately post Liquidation) headed bids for the club. No connection to Airdrie and the rumour was always that Barr was helping finance their bids - potentially with a view for being paid what he claimed was due or the stadium? Always causes me concern when someone with a connection to neither club nor town suddenly wants to get involved.

Again though if we were a financially sustainable club, it would never have happened.

1 hour ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Thanks for this- really helpful. It seems like Lovers was solid and dependable rather than a star in a successful Ayr team?

Bigger issue was our Board not having the skills to manage the Stadium build. Relied on David Smith who had been a civil engineer. He fell ill during the build and progress meetings took place without anyone from the club present. You leave yourself open to cost overuns etc. and the mercy of contractors at that point. There was a dispute as to how much was owed to Barr Construction and a feeling from those involved that Barr Construction’s claim was grossly inflated. Again’ more the fault of our old board.

I remember reading Barr would be in the dugout because he was struggling with his eye sight at that time.

He obviously did put a lot of money into Ayr,it just always seemed odd that he was never able to help in having a ground built - although as time goes on it’s the fans of all the clubs with Lego Land Barr stands that wish they had a Somerset Park!

The part that I’ve never understood is whether there was any Barr Influence in those who became preferred bidders post the failed Archibald takeover.

Bill Hunter (ex Livi) and Andy Gemmell (ex Dumbarton and who went back there immediately post Liquidation) headed bids for the club. No connection to Airdrie and the rumour was always that Barr was helping finance their bids - potentially with a view for being paid what he claimed was due or the stadium? Always causes me concern when someone with a connection to neither club nor town suddenly wants to get involved.

Again though if we were a financially sustainable club, it would never have happened.

How very true in some respects, even as a  North Terracer in all weathers......but I love Somerset Park, it will always be so. 

The guy has had absolutely no luck with injuries, and I was surprised he was as young as 26.  Sounds like he wants to stay at Ayr and hopes to be able to play at some point this season.  He's clearly a decent player and just hasn't been able to get a run of games together to get any form back.  It's hard, given his injuries, to take a risk on him again but I've always liked him as a player and it's not like he's the wrong side of 30.  

Coming back in time to fire us to playoff glory...

2 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Lovering was a top player for us in the Barr era, an excellent LB who gave his all and was also very good coming forward (would have been top notch in this era I believe), nothing but good and happy memories of "Lovers" in an Ayr strip.

The stadium issue with us was more Labour, Sam Galbraith and his public enquiry, than anything to do with a failure on Barrs part to build it. 

As you rightly say though, we maybe had a lucky escape and I wouldn't swap Somerset for anything.

4 hours ago, super_carson said:

I hope we give him another chance, people forget how good he was when getting a solid injury free run.

He's a good finisher, pretty quick, hard worker and pretty decent touch and link up play, basically has all the attributes if just getting a bit of luck with injury's plus of course a great attitude which means a lot in itself.

5 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Lovering always looked like his body was knackered when he played, seemed to have a bad limp when he was walking, he looked like he was going to suffer in later years for playing as long. 

We went through a period of having absolute rotten left backs and Lovering was a consistent performer 100% effort and never below a 7/10. I remember Ricksen having a stamp at him off the ball in the 2002 final. 

Archibald seemed like an absolute shyster, Showcasing and then flogging his players to Scottish teams while bleating about not being allowed to take over. The only person who made any money out of that period was him.  

I remember the last game that the original Airdrie were to have played, Supporters jumped the wall and rushed the goal mouth, about a dozen made a B-line for the Ayr fans, one policeman jumped the wall at the fence to stop them and they all turned round and ran back to the rest of the protesters. Kilmarnock, Rangers, Celtic and the old firm were the only clubs we had Police horses in Somerset road for.