The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

Which would probably make us insolvent overnight.

A statement was needed after yesterday so it’s good that one has been made and it’s clear it is in Smith’s own words rather than drafted by some PR person.

While Hopkin wasn’t my pick for manager and trying to introduce a style of play that we don’t have the players for is folly in my eyes it’s also fantasy to think he’ll get binned after five weeks having signed a 2 year contract. While I expect us to lose our last two games we’ve still got a puncher’s chance of incredibly landing a lucky blow to win one of them with the best chance seeming to be next week against a flaky QOS. Our best hope though has to be in Morton picking up no more than a point in their remaining three games and us pipping them on goal difference although I also wouldn’t rule out this absolute shower (c. Terry Thomas) getting horsed in both remaining games and us losing that slim advantage too.

And while I understand all the talk about not renewing season tickets in the heat of the moment surely people realise that will only make things worse not better. The season ticket money is the single most valuable income stream to the club as it will directly affect the budget the club has to put players on the park. Don’t renew your season and you are more than likely to have a worse squad to put on the park next season. If you’ve got a choice buy a season ticket over contributing to the 500 Club, buying any merchandise from the shop or when we are able to return to Somerset over pies/half time draws/programmes etc. It’s as simple as that.

I'm not a regular buyer of a season ticket, I bought one this season simply due to the pandemic's affect on the club, LMAO if they think I'll even consider renewing. 

The commentators on yesterdays game made a comment that the Ayr team looked nervous  & lacked confidence.  What is strange is that in just over a month have gone from a team that  won 3-1 away at Dundee, drew  away at Raith and finished the game at Elgin within about 20 minutes.  Since then we have looked incapable of scoring or defending and we have gone back to early season when we gave away easy goals against Livingston, Hearts, QOS, Arbroath, etc.  Not sure how Hopkins can do it, but he needs to get the team back to playing like they can (even with Smith & Sinisalo gone) and get some confidence & team spirit back.

3 minutes ago, Rodders1910 said:

Seen a few folk on SRE mentioning going a wander down to cambusdoon while the players are training, maybe not a bad idea as long as it's not a tirade of abuse they get

£100 not a single one of them have the balls to go down and say anything. All mouth, nae trousers. 

19 minutes ago, Rodders1910 said:

Seen a few folk on SRE mentioning going a wander down to cambusdoon while the players are training, maybe not a bad idea as long as it's not a tirade of abuse they get

They're not exactly going to be going down to say good job are they

Through no fault of his own, David Smith inherited an imperfect storm when he took ownership of the club in January. He inherited a manager he didn’t appoint and a squad which were showing alarming signs of underperforming. When performances didn’t improve, he acted decisively and terminated Mark Kerr’s employment, to almost universal approval amongst the support.

I doubt many of us have any experience of football managerial interviews but I’d hazard a guess that... the most impressive interviewee wins. I know that doesn’t suit a lot of peoples narrative that “I knew Hopkin would be a pish appointment” but it’s not decided on pre conceived judgements or stereotypes or hearsay, can we all just admit that Hopkin impressed on the day and outperformed the other candidates. To then, after 5 weeks, demand that the club terminate his appointment is borderline hysteria. That’s not how to run a business, that’s just shite talk. You’d sack a man after 5 weeks, whilst he’s using someone else’s tools?!!! We’d all have loved to have seen improved performances in these last few weeks but unfortunately they haven’t materialised. We all have an opinion on Hopkin but we can’t validate them until the guy gets a fair crack at it. If that means relegation, so be it.

The common denominator in all of this, is the players. They’ve now underperformed for two managers and they appear unwilling to run through anything for the club. They’re well looked after, many benefitted from the club’s decision to furlough the staff when other clubs chose to show players the door and despite all of this they’re not turning up on game day, fucking shameful. Talk all you like about Hopkin’s tactics but the lack of professional pride in that dressing room is fucking criminal.

The chairman’s statement this morning shows how desperate he is for the club to do well, but for people to then use his ambition for Premier League football as a stick to beat him with is diabolical. He’s had THREE months at the wheel, he’ll probably never have it harder. The club is in great hands, we just need to be patient, that’s the hardest part.

34 minutes ago, Rodders1910 said:

Think that’s pathetic , anyone who wants to go out their way to abuse players or management is poor support ( outwith being at a game where it’s been the norm since games began, even though that still does not make it acceptable  ) , there’s no way they would be going for any other reason than give abuse 

Edited by Robbo63

3 minutes ago, HeathrowAUFC said:

Through no fault of his own, David Smith inherited an imperfect storm when he took ownership of the club in January. He inherited a manager he didn’t appoint and a squad which were showing alarming signs of underperforming. When performances didn’t improve, he acted decisively and terminated Mark Kerr’s employment, to almost universal approval amongst the support.

I doubt many of us have any experience of football managerial interviews but I’d hazard a guess that... the most impressive interviewee wins. I know that doesn’t suit a lot of peoples narrative that “I knew Hopkin would be a pish appointment” but it’s not decided on pre conceived judgements or stereotypes or hearsay, can we all just admit that Hopkin impressed on the day and outperformed the other candidates. To then, after 5 weeks, demand that the club terminate his appointment is borderline hysteria. That’s not how to run a business, that’s just shite talk. You’d sack a man after 5 weeks, whilst he’s using someone else’s tools?!!! We’d all have loved to have seen improved performances in these last few weeks but unfortunately they haven’t materialised. We all have an opinion on Hopkin but we can’t validate them until the guy gets a fair crack at it. If that means relegation, so be it.

The common denominator in all of this, is the players. They’ve now underperformed for two managers and they appear unwilling to run through anything for the club. They’re well looked after, many benefitted from the club’s decision to furlough the staff when other clubs chose to show players the door and despite all of this they’re not turning up on game day, fucking shameful. Talk all you like about Hopkin’s tactics but the lack of professional pride in that dressing room is fucking criminal.

The chairman’s statement this morning shows how desperate he is for the club to do well, but for people to then use his ambition for Premier League football as a stick to beat him with is diabolical. He’s had THREE months at the wheel, he’ll probably never have it harder. The club is in great hands, we just need to be patient, that’s the hardest part.

The concept that a manager's interview doesn't take into account any of his previous work and is simply based on being impressive on the day doesn't wash for a normal situation but you may well be right here, Smith may simply have interviewed him as he would an employee at his company.  

The only chance we have of staying up is the hope that he's made such a mess of recruitment at Morton that they can't scrape two points together in the final three games, that is not signs that "the club is in great hands".  

5 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Think that’s pathetic , anyone who wants to go out their way to abuse players or management is poor support , there’s no way they would be going for any other reason than give abuse 

I disagree with this. I wouldn’t personally do it but the players deserve any criticism that comes their way as the vast majority of them have been an absoulote embarrasment this season

1 minute ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I disagree with this. I wouldn’t personally do it but the players deserve any criticism that comes their way as the vast majority of them have been an absoulote embarrasment this season

Well I think it’s disgraceful, abuse at games has always been around but to talk of going and disrupting training sessions ( which it would do ) is utterly pathetic and sad individuals that lower themselves to that level , 

2 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Well I think it’s disgraceful, abuse at games has always been around but to talk of going and disrupting training sessions ( which it would do ) is utterly pathetic and sad individuals that lower themselves to that level , 

Hanging a banner or whatever they are planning to do (I doubt it’ll actually happen btw) isn’t disrupting a training session. It’s showing the players that the fans care. It may give them a kick up the backside that they need 

Just now, ayrunitedfw said:

Hanging a banner or whatever they are planning to do (I doubt it’ll actually happen btw) isn’t disrupting a training session. It’s showing the players that the fans care. It may give them a kick up the backside that they need 

Doubt the players give a shit at this stage, or even less of a one now.

Fully support a banner or two though.

Think that’s pathetic , anyone who wants to go out their way to abuse players or management is poor support ( outwith being at a game where it’s been the norm since games began, even though that still does not make it acceptable  ) , there’s no way they would be going for any other reason than give abuse 
I'm not saying I think it's a good idea to give them abuse. It wouldn't be a bad thing however if a few fans gave their opinion to the players and reminded them of the passion that fans have for the club and remind them of how much survival in the championship would mean to everyone. There's a difference between constructive criticism and having an open conversation with the fans that keep the club alive and outright abuse

Just now, THEHonestman1910 said:

Tbh, hanging a banner isn't going to make things any better. These players seem to be so far up there own arse to care about any fan discontent. 

It never worked during the Roberts era and it wouldn't work now. 

You are probably right but what’s the alternative? Just continue to do nothing and hope by some miracle we manage to stumble across the line. 

4 minutes ago, Rodders1910 said:
23 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

I'm not saying I think it's a good idea to give them abuse. It wouldn't be a bad thing however if a few fans gave their opinion to the players and reminded them of the passion that fans have for the club and remind them of how much survival in the championship would mean to everyone. There's a difference between constructive criticism and having an open conversation with the fans that keep the club alive and outright abuse

This. Similar happend at Hamilton Accies after their 8-0 defeat to Rangers. Let’s fans get their frustration out while not being able to be at the game. 

4 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

You are probably right but what’s the alternative? Just continue to do nothing and hope by some miracle we manage to stumble across the line. 

Well...yes, that's what most of us have been hoping for for the past few weeks is it not?

13 minutes ago, Rodders1910 said:
32 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

You could be right about an open conversation , but as many have said above it will have no effect as too many have given up this season 

Edited by Robbo63