The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Aero is a 7/10 Championship centre back that can play to the rating most weeks . He also can do a decent job at right back and anchor centre mid to maybe a lesser extent , also a better than average penalty taker . All and all he’s pretty good value for money . Without him last season we would have been toast . 

I hope we play him at right centre back next season but as others have said maybe Hoppy likes Baird and hopes McGinty and Fjortoft can control him . That would leave Aero at right back or central midfield . However there is always the possibility of McGinty going to left back and Aero joining Baird and Fjortoft in the centre . If he does go to central midfield it would mean we are looking for a Kelly type midfielder as well as two strikers ... interesting times .

So he signed him as a replacement for a defender that wasn't leaving for another 5 months.....................and then signed Sam Roscoe in the summer?

Yes

Roscoe had to be signed because we let Chris Higgins leave permanently.

13 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Pish. The reaction to Muirhead was a million miles away from the reaction to McGinty.

Which makes it even worse . This team with these player will be stepping out in the black and white on the plastic carpet at Verminville . They really need backing not this never ending toasting . Some don’t like a couple of our signings , noted . Let’s move on and see what they can do in an Ayr shirt ....

6 minutes ago, North British said:

Some don’t like a couple of our signings , noted . Let’s move on and see what they can do in an Ayr shirt ....

I mean it's not as if anyone is going to be watching the first match of the season, which happens to also be the first league derby in nearly thirty years, live on TV, and thinking "I don't want these players to be good, because that would vindicate my posts on a football forum".

35 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Pish. The reaction to Muirhead was a million miles away from the reaction to McGinty.

Aye, I dunno where he is digging that up from. The reaction to McGinty is signifiantly worse than it was for Muirhead. There is no equivalence between the reactions.

As good an example of revisionism as you'll see on here.

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

Aye, I dunno where he is digging that up from. The reaction to McGinty is signifiantly worse than it was for Muirhead. There is no equivalence between the reactions.

As good an example of revisionism as you'll see on here.

In reality there's only the same half a dozen posters on here who appear to have it in for both McGinty and Hopkin which shines through in the majority of their posts.

The Ayr fans I know and speak to in "real life" are actually more than willing to give McGinty a chance, same as myself and many others who also post on here.

I've got to say that some of the abuse he's been getting prior to even kicking a ball really is pretty pathetic and certainly doesn't reflect well on those who seem to be on a bit of a witch hunt.......

21 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

In reality there's only the same half a dozen posters on here who appear to have it in for both McGinty and Hopkin which shines through in the majority of their posts.

The Ayr fans I know and speak to in "real life" are actually more than willing to give McGinty a chance, same as myself and many others who also post on here.

I've got to say that some of the abuse he's been getting prior to even kicking a ball really is pretty pathetic and certainly doesn't reflect well on those who seem to be on a bit of a witch hunt.......

I’ll give him a chance, however I’m more than aware that he is woeful but I hope our system will somehow mitigate that. 

Most Ayr fans probably don’t pay that much attention to opposition players, I don’t either, but McGinty always stood out as he was so incredibly inept. 

I'm more than willing to give McGinty a chance look at it this way he played 26 times a team that had the 2nd or 3rd defensive record in the league last year so either he's very lucky to have Fjortoft and McAdams as part of the defence (who we also have) or he can't be as bad as Partick and Morton fans make out let's be honest everybody takes a dig at players when they leave I've been guilty of the can Shankland do it without Moffat? comments, we have the making of a half decent back 3/5, let's give the new guys at least the Bet Fred before starting to slaughter them.

3 hours ago, WATTOO said:

The Roberts biographer posted shite like this about people who were irrationally, maliciously against Roberts for the purported, specious "crime" of "not being very good at managing the football team", and continuing to spread scurrilous rumours that if Ayr continued to "lose" games then they might be "relegated" to the "bottom tier".

Bitter, horrible individuals. Certainly not fans of the team. Frankly they were almost certainly Kilmarnock posters in disguise.

Edited by Thumper

I don’t think we can compare and say fans that are apathetic (at best) to the McGinty signing and the worry about Hopkin being not very good are bitter or not genuine fans. I also don’t think supporters should go down the happy clappy  route and see no wrong in what the club does. A middle ground is what we should be looking at until we actually start the season and see how things go

If McGinty plays left back for Ayr this season then it's going to be a long one for you guys. At centre half he could be passable as he had another one or two guys directly around him to dig him out but he was a fucking bombscare at left back and I was genuinely glad he left Morton. Can see why Hopkin signed him as he fits the mould for a big strong ball winning centre half but the fact is he's just not very good at it. He must see something in McGinty to make him captain and start every week.

Fjortoft and McAdams are good signings though. Both solid champion players.

3 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

If McGinty plays left back for Ayr this season then it's going to be a long one for you guys. At centre half he could be passable as he had another one or two guys directly around him to dig him out but he was a fucking bombscare at left back and I was genuinely glad he left Morton. Can see why Hopkin signed him as he fits the mould for a big strong ball winning centre half but the fact is he's just not very good at it. He must see something in McGinty to make him captain and start every week.

Fjortoft and McAdams are good signings though. Both solid champion players.

Patrick Reading will be our first choice left back I'd imagine. We also have Finn Ecrepont who can play there but he may go out on loan again. 

48 minutes ago, davidkennedyshand said:

Patrick Reading will be our first choice left back I'd imagine. We also have Finn Ecrepont who can play there but he may go out on loan again. 

Would quite like to see Finn getting a crack at league 1 if possible this season to see how he develops, hopefully he'll be ready to start / push for a start next season (maybe even after Christmas). Would much rather he was playing every week than sitting on the bench as there has clearly been some early potential spotted in him, down at Wrexham he also looked pretty comfortable.