The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:
20 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:
https://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/sport/19403488.morton-sign-former-raith-rovers-striker-gozie-ugwu/
"The Tele understands that MacPherson saw off competition from David Hopkin’s Ayr United for his signature."

The telegraph looked on Pie and Bovril and saw Ayr fans discussing free agent strikers who have played in the championship. sorted it for you!

No doubt the "journalist" posts on here !!

Back when we were looking for a new manager, a few of us started saying about how we knew Chris Strain had been interview, went from 20/1 to 8/1 after a few hours of posting. The likes of McBookie and journalists use p&b because they’ve no contacts :lol:

This one is a rollercoaster. 

Guy wasn’t good enough for a team we should be competing with, glad we didn’t sign him

Guy chooses Morton over Ayr, a team we should be able to compete with on signings

Begs the question, why are we looking at him, why didn’t we get him and what the f**k is going on? 

My guess for next season is 50/50 we will either be relegated or win the league. It is either going to be really good or really, really, really bad.

Fortunately we will know in about 6 weeks. 

3 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

This one is a rollercoaster. 

Guy wasn’t good enough for a team we should be competing with, glad we didn’t sign him

Guy chooses Morton over Ayr, a team we should be able to compete with on signings

Begs the question, why are we looking at him, why didn’t we get him and what the f**k is going on? 

My guess for next season is 50/50 we will either be relegated or win the league. It is either going to be really good or really, really, really bad.

Fortunately we will know in about 6 weeks. 

Always thought a season of mid table nothingness was the most likely outcome.

Sounds to me like he has been offered better terms at Morton, and maybe the guarantee of first choice striker.

I’m hoping that that was not the case with us, and maybe Hoppy thought of him as a decent squad player.

I wouldn’t imagine Morton would be offering more than us for our “number 1 forward” if you get my drift.

Then again, I could be completely wrong.

I don’t buy folk saying that Ugwu wasn’t good enough for us. Raith fans seemed to like him once he got over his injury and got fit again. I think for the way Hopkin wants to play he’d have been ideal.

All joking aside there are reasons why a player would turn us down for a similar sized team.

Other than the brief Barr era, I've never seen or expected Ayr to be anything other than a mid to lower end 2nd tier side who quite often bounce between the 2nd and 3rd tier, pretty similar to a few others in this league, so while I always "hope" that we can do better we must all have a bit of a reality check when it comes to our expectations and temper them accordingly.

The harsh fact is that unless David Smith or another rich benefactor provides a major cash injection, then it's highly unlikely that we will be able to compete with the likes of Dunfermline, Inverness, Raith, Kilmarnock, Hamilton or Partick on the signings / budgetary front and should we finish ahead of them then we'll have done a very good job and by the same token they'll perceive their players and Manager to have under achieved.

That said, we proved it under McCall that with the right blend of players and playing style that the gap can indeed be bridged and that's what should give us all hope, however until such times as we have a settled squad and a competitive budget, then it will continue to be a complete rebuilding job year on year and an uphill struggle I'm afraid.

10 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Other than the brief Barr era, I've never seen or expected Ayr to be anything other than a mid to lower end 2nd tier side who quite often bounce between the 2nd and 3rd tier, pretty similar to a few others in this league, so while I always "hope" that we can do better we must all have a bit of a reality check when it comes to our expectations and temper them accordingly.

The harsh fact is that unless David Smith or another rich benefactor provides a major cash injection, then it's highly unlikely that we will be able to compete with the likes of Dunfermline, Inverness, Raith, Kilmarnock, Hamilton or Partick on the signings / budgetary front and should we finish ahead of them then we'll have done a very good job and by the same token they'll perceive their players and Manager to have under achieved.

That said, we proved it under McCall that with the right blend of players and playing style that the gap can indeed be bridged and that's what should give us all hope, however until such times as we have a settled squad and a competitive budget, then it will continue to be a complete rebuilding job year on year and an uphill struggle I'm afraid.

If we are unable to compete financially with Raith Rovers we may aswell shut the gates. Have a word with yourself ffs. 

If we are unable to compete financially with Raith Rovers we may aswell shut the gates. Have a word with yourself ffs. 

Why?

They’ll most likely have a bigger budget than us given the difference in where the two clubs finished last season.

Football isn't just about number of fans or budgets. If it was so, Lolkirk wouldn't be in League 1 and Livingston wouldn't be in the Premiership. Select any other examples as you deem appropriate. 

Get a grip of yourselves. Where's your ambition FFS!

18 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Why?

They’ll most likely have a bigger budget than us given the difference in where the two clubs finished last season.

Because we’re a similar sized club to them. Our budgets will be very similar. 

We have finished 4th the past two season previous to last season. 

I’d much prefer we had our full squad in place, raring to go, but I’m not that naive to expect that to be the case.

We have had another huge rebuilding job to do and we are not known for having a huge budget, or paying excessively for players wages, so what REALISTICALLY are everyone’s expectations at this stage?

6 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

I’d much prefer we had our full squad in place, raring to go, but I’m not that naive to expect that to be the case.

We have had another huge rebuilding job to do and we are not known for having a huge budget, or paying excessively for players wages, so what REALISTICALLY are everyone’s expectations at this stage?

A couple of competent strikers would of been nice 😆