The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

It appears to me that Hopkin had put all his eggs in the one basket with regards to Nikolay Todorov and now that has falling through he doesn’t have a plan B and we are now in full on panic mode. We need at the very least two strikers who can come in and be immediate starters.

We’re also incredibly light in the middle of the park with only Chalmers, Murdoch and Miller. I’ve said it before but the only one of those three id want starting is Chalmers. 

So we’re less than two weeks away from the competitive action and still needing at least 4 starters plus a sub goalkeeper and it appears nothing immediate is in the pipeline. The only thing giving me slight hope is the fact the Aidan McAdams signing seemed to come out the blue. 

Basically this, but I would say five starters. A deeper central midfielder, as well as a more attacking one. 

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Basically this, but I would say five starters. A deeper central midfielder, as well as a more attacking one. 

Would that not still be 4? A more defensive centre mid, an attacking centre mid and two strikers?

My biggest issue with some of this stuff is that Hopkin and this Ayr team have already been condemned as failures before a bloody ball has even been kicked !!!

Why ?

Hopkin was brought in first off to keep us up and the history books will tell us he succeeded, ok, some might not like his brand of Football but he seems to be getting judged solely on his final few months at Morton rather than anything else and if his success at Livi is mentioned then it's consigned to the "ah but it wasn't really him it was his assistant" department of patter. 

Then of course we have McCall, the messiah, Yes, many conveniently overlook our relegation season where we were utter dross and had to watch burnt out dumplings such as El Alagui who I could have ran past with a pint in my hand. I also don't recall us playing much "great football" that season !!

Of course it wasn't lost on many of us that our our new possession based quick passing style seemed to coincide with the arrival of Sandy Stewart so maybe the same accusations hurled towards Hopkin at Livi could equally be aimed at McCall at Ayr ?? Further evidence for the prosecution could be that he failed to keep Partick in the league despite throwing huge amounts of cash at the squad in the January window and with the exception of the final few weeks of last season Thistle were an absolute basket case of a side.

Anyway, this is about Ayr and the future so once again I'll happily put it on record that I'll be supporting the club, the squad and the Manager as they are now who represent us and not those who have chosen to move on.

All I'm saying, is that they deserve a chance.......

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

My biggest issue with some of this stuff is that Hopkin and this Ayr team have already been condemned as failures before a bloody ball has even been kicked !!!

Why ?

Hopkin was brought in first off to keep us up and the history books will tell us he succeeded, ok, some might not like his brand of Football but he seems to be getting judged solely on his final few months at Morton rather than anything else and if his success at Livi is mentioned then it's consigned to the "ah but it wasn't really him it was his assistant" department of patter. 

Then of course we have McCall, the messiah, Yes, many conveniently overlook our relegation season where we were utter dross and had to watch burnt out dumplings such as El Alagui who I could have ran past with a pint in my hand. I also don't recall us playing much "great football" that season !!

Of course it wasn't lost on many of us that our our new possession based quick passing style seemed to coincide with the arrival of Sandy Stewart so maybe the same accusations hurled towards Hopkin at Livi could equally be aimed at McCall at Ayr ?? Further evidence for the prosecution could be that he failed to keep Partick in the league despite throwing huge amounts of cash at the squad in the January window and with the exception of the final few weeks of last season Thistle were an absolute basket case of a side.

Anyway, this is about Ayr and the future so once again I'll happily put it on record that I'll be supporting the club, the squad and the Manager as they are now who represent us and not those who have chosen to move on.

All I'm saying, is that they deserve a chance.......

Of course they deserve a chance, however there are quite clearly frustrating and worrying signs at the moment. 

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

Of course they deserve a chance, however there are quite clearly frustrating and worrying signs at the moment. 

Correct , I think the time to panic will be July 14th if we don’t have recognised strikers and a ball winning midfielder in place by then , 

10 hours ago, Hazbart said:

“The Tele Understands”

Meaning we may or may not have ever been interested in the guy.

We weren't until he signed then made a bid. 

1 minute ago, Superhursy7 said:

Stream bought for tomorrow let's see if any of these trialists are unpolished diamonds

I forgot about that game. I can't believe Jamie Hamill is their manager.

Fucking hell! We think we've got it bad but there is always someone worse!

9 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Football isn't just about number of fans or budgets. If it was so, Lolkirk wouldn't be in League 1 and Livingston wouldn't be in the Premiership. Select any other examples as you deem appropriate. 

Get a grip of yourselves. Where's your ambition FFS!

My question to Ayr United FC when we appointed Davie Hopkin. 

1 hour ago, Superhursy7 said:

The problem is Hopkin seams to have boxed in the way we are going to play, 5 at the back with wingbacks and for that to work you need to have that physical focal point old school in number 9 and any half decent ones get picked up very quickly, we also desperately need some kind of 2nd striker to pick up the layoffs and knock downs and much as we all love Moff his goals have drastically dried up over the years he's not that player any more, if we get to the Albion Rovers game without at least one if these strikers in then I'll start worrying.

I’m pretty much 100% on with the above . However I would add the caveat that our 5-3-2 systems is identical  to the one deployed so successfully by Steve Clark with Scotland over the last couple of years . None of you were complaining  after we made our first finals since 98 ... Anyway I’m onboard with my team this season , as always . Bring it on .

On Hopkins ! Like Clarke he spent most of his career down south , this is where he has picked up the physical, athletic approach . Big strong defenders , fast direct wing backs , and grafters in midfield . The hard bit is finding our Dykes and Adams ... I’m sure we’ll be fine by the time we play Albion Rovers ....

5 hours ago, Dauntless said:

Robbo the baby squad is at meltdown mode again . Can you forgive them for their stupid comments and give them some info before I through this terminal out the window please ?

Throw it out the window or you are a shitebag

32 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Why ?

They failed last seasons in both forms, Morton and Ayr, he has now amalgamated them and hasn't managed to attract another player from outside his bubble.  This does not look good and no one can see it working

29 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

he failed to keep Partick in the league despite throwing huge amounts of cash at the squad in the January window

They were relegated by a vote, they had a game in hand due to them being in a cup final

I’m pretty much 100% on with the above . However I would add the caveat that our 5-3-2 systems is identical  to the one deployed so successfully by Steve Clark with Scotland over the last couple of years . None of you were complaining  after we made our first finals since 98 ... Anyway I’m onboard with my team this season , as always . Bring it on .
On Hopkins ! Like Clarke he spent most of his career down south , this is where he has picked up the physical, athletic approach . Big strong defenders , fast direct wing backs , and grafters in midfield . The hard bit is finding our Dykes and Adams ... I’m sure we’ll be fine by the time we play Albion Rovers ....
Or a Billy Gilmore to tie it all together.

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

Was hopkin a cheap option?

No such thing (he'll be more expensive than Kerr and McCall) and if he was cheaper the lower end of the Hopkin expectations (league one) is more expensive than Mark Kerr's mid table mediocrity.