The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 hours ago, bazka6 said:

Why?

Otherwise, nice to be looking forward to a game again on Saturday.

Isn't it obvious, it's because he's bald.

Spoiler

That was for Young Eddie's benefit btw. 🤣

He just really wound me up when he played for Airdrie. 

If Billy Dodds can take a team to the top of the table then perhaps there's a huge danger of overthinking or complicating the recruitment process for a new manager. 

I liked the tone of Smith's interview and agree that within reason we can take stock and see what the viable options are. There's also a danger of waiting too long as well. 

I wouldn't be against a manager currently at a lower league team and the only thing making me go against McFadden is a lack of managerial experience.

As a genuinely talented player who's played at the highest levels of the British game and internationally, his contacts you would think, would be top notch, he also comes across well in interviews and in his media duties. 

Regardless, there's always going to be doubts about those on a shortlist and "failure" on 99.99% of football manager's CVs. 

We're a full time Championship team with an owner who is genuinely backing his hometown club. We should be seen as an attractive proposition to any potential candidates and we need to sell ourselves as such.

Whoever comes in needs to breathe life and positivity into the squad, club and support as a whole.

Time to look forward, get back to causing the opposition problems in the league and climbing this table as results hopefully improve. 

Cmon Ayr. 

Edited by BukyOHare

18 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

If they have received abuse directly in the stand then the people who are involved should be utterly ashamed and I hope the club identify the perpetrators. 

^100% Family is off limits.

I'm really hoping it's more a case of them feeling uncomfortable with the shouts directed towards Hopkin rather than direct abuse. 

47 minutes ago, HMIP said:

The attitude of Inverness fans puzzles me as well, and is probably evidence of a support enjoying a period of unprecedented success, then getting a wee bit above themselves and assuming it would always be that way.  I mean the guy took them to a Scottish Cup win, 3rd place in the premier league and qualification for Europe, and yet there’s Inverness fans on here who don’t seem to have a good word to say about him.  

Where to fucking start with this.

'Getting a wee bit ahead of themselves and assuming it would always be that way' sums up the vast majority of AU posters on here.  That 18/19 season has skewed your view of the stature of your club something ridiculous.

Of the squad that won the Scottish Cup and finished 3rd, Hughes signed 2 of those players, Greg Tansey (who was re-signed after Butcher originally signed him a few years earlier) and Tarmo Kink.  Hughes achieved what he did with Terry Butcher's team.  That is an undeniable fact.

When that team started to break up in the summer of 2015, the players that left were replaced with utter fucking shite, on big wages and he lead us to a 7th place finish. 

He then left in a huff after demanding an even bigger budget than the once he spunked a year earlier, the biggest budget in our history, which the chairman presumably laughed at given his atrocious record in recruitment.

But yeah, fucking have at him.  Good luck to you.

Just now, The Moonster said:

Been some wild shouts here but I think someone asserting that James McFadden comes across as intelligent on the TV takes the lot. I can't be listening to the same James McFadden. 

This. He’s thick as mince. 

The folk wanting McFadden at the club are the ones still chugging over a goal in Paris. 

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Been some wild shouts here but I think someone asserting that James McFadden comes across as intelligent on the TV takes the lot. I can't be listening to the same James McFadden. 

Indeed, talks in nothing but cliches and seems like a prize moron.

23 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

'Getting a wee bit ahead of themselves and assuming it would always be that way' sums up the vast majority of AU posters on here.  That 18/19 season has skewed your view of the stature of your club something ridiculous.

Of the squad that won the Scottish Cup and finished 3rd, Hughes signed 2 of those players, Greg Tansey (who was re-signed after Butcher originally signed him a few years earlier) and Tarmo Kink.  Hughes achieved what he did with Terry Butcher's team.  That is an undeniable fact.

When that team started to break up in the summer of 2015, the players that left were replaced with utter fucking shite, on big wages and he lead us to a 7th place finish. 

He then left in a huff after demanding an even bigger budget than the once he spunked a year earlier, the biggest budget in our history, which the chairman presumably laughed at given his atrocious record in recruitment.

To add to this, the style of football in that last season was awful. The first 18 months was great. Get the ball on the deck and actually attack the opposition. The last year was just keeping the ball for the sake of it, constant sideways passes between the midfield and defence with no real interest in trying to score goals.

18 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

It made us realise that we don't need to accept yoyo, seaside football and we don't need to spend millions to lift us out of it. The infrastructure has been improved to make us at least a top 6 Championship team. That is not ridiculous for a club and town the size of Ayr. The ridiculous part is that it took a lot of people a lot of time to realise it.  The 2018/19 season was what we expected, getting to the play-offs with the team we had. No one thought we were going to finish above Dundee United or Ross County at the start of the season and the fact we pushed as long as we did was a bonus. But apart from that, your patronising summing up of Ayr is spot on. 

2 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

It made us realise that we don't need to accept yoyo, seaside football and we don't need to spend millions to lift us out of it. The infrastructure has been improved to make us at least a top 6 Championship team. That is not ridiculous for a club and town the size of Ayr. The ridiculous part is that it took a lot of people a lot of time to realise it.  The 2018/19 season was what we expected, getting to the play-offs with the team we had. No one thought we were going to finish above Dundee United or Ross County at the start of the season and the fact we pushed as long as we did was a bonus. But apart from that, your patronising summing up of Ayr is spot on. 

There's nothing patronising about it.  You had one good season in 15-20 years where you finished 4th in the 2nd tier and some folk on here are ripping that you aren't challenging for the title every season now.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Budget wise, would yours have been in the top six positions that season?

Finishing seventh doesn’t seem bad at all. Surely if they were utter fucking shite, you would have been relegated....

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Budget wise, would yours have been in the top six positions that season?

Finishing seventh doesn’t seem bad at all. Surely if they were utter fucking shite, you would have been relegated....

I think it was.  We still had some of the team that finished 3rd, hence why we finished as high as 7th.

Edit - He signed that Welsh loser who's now the Dunfermline keeper.  He's atrocious.

Edited by TheScarf

Yogi is the man for me, it helps that he has an attachment to the club he was our skipper in arguably our most successful period, he improves teams when he comes in can he build a squad at the moment that's questionable but we won't be overhauling the squad in January much so that's low risk just now and he's old school our fan base like that we have tried the lap tops and vegan diets in the last few seasons maybe it's time to go back to the hair dryer or arm round a shoulder approach that McCall had and eventually brought success.

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Hughes will improve your results with the squad you have.  Of that there is no doubt.

I'm confident that whoever we get in can do something with what we have, at very least refrain from trying to shoehorn every defender on the clubs books into the starting lineup. The squad may not be spectacular or have superstars in it, but with the right motivation should be enough to get us to the summer. 

Had a look at the contract situation last night. If I've read it correct the majority of players are out of contract in the summer, so we'd be looking at potentially a full rebuild anyway come the summer. Only people on 2 year deals I think are: McKenzie, McAllister, McAdam, Hewitt, Ecrepont? Was going on the signing articles on the website. 
So if we need to move people on in January I don't think it would be out of the question to part cover wages for a short period of time to move 1 or 2 on or pay their deals up, plus they'll have one eye on next season anyway for their next move. 

Someone with the experience of  Yogi would be the ideal candidate for me right now. Our chairman is still learning the ropes in the football game and will need challenged over certain decisions. Similar to the way McCall sorted the footballing side of things whilst our chariman was living across the pond

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

There's nothing patronising about it.  You had one good season in 15-20 years where you finished 4th in the 2nd tier and some folk on here are ripping that you aren't challenging for the title every season now.

You've fucked it here.

Edited by Trogdor

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

You've fucked it here.

You had to edit you're post to type that?

Every season since 18/19 you've got clearly weaker, big Stevie Wonder could see that.  Yet folk on this thread continue to be baffled as to why you can't build on that 4th place and challenge.

I think a reality check is needed.