The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

12 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

I'm no fan of the Baird McGinty partnership but VOR has a point here9b9a0a96c7bbcda24839b6d400c8534f.jpg

Don’t know about others but I personally can’t deny their ability to defend. It’s just that being a defender is more than just stopping the opposition from scoring. Thought that was the difference last night as the boy Akinola for Partick was getting his foot on the ball and looking for passes up the park rather than our two’s style

9 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

I'm no fan of the Baird McGinty partnership but VOR has a point here

It is worth remembering the reason Muirhead was moved to CM last season was a midfield issue not a defence one. The CM's offered the defence no protection which is different from the CB's needing protection.

Also I'm not sure why a Baird-Muirhead partnership will suddenly make us any better as they played together 7 times last season resulting in 1 win, 3 draws and 3 defeats. If we have any defensive issue this season it's with the full backs who have dreadful positioning, can't tackle and don't stop crosses.

I don't buy us needing to set up defensively to protect the defence either as all it does is invite more pressure. At least if we have a go it should mean the defence having less to do as we give the opposition something to worry about.

15 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

I'm no fan of the Baird McGinty partnership but VOR has a point here9b9a0a96c7bbcda24839b6d400c8534f.jpg

It was the combined trio of McGinty, Baird and Muirhead at fault for the goal last night. 

Murdoch decided to go lone ranger on a press at their CB which left a gaping hole in the midfield which Baird went out to cover, Muirhead then failed to fully slot in alongside McGinty at CB to cover the gap left by Baird which resulted in Graham having a wide open lane to slot in to score. 

After watching the highlights which were better quality than the stream, we did look better at times however still had moments of vulnerability. Apart from the penalty shouts there were really only one chance in the game for either team and Partick scored there's meanwhile our's was fantastically saved. 

Looking back we probably warranted a draw

We can debate the defence all day long, but the worst part of last night was the fact that we barely registered a shot, particularly in the second half. Murdoch had a chance which is still coming down from space, McInroy floated one into the keepers hands, and Bryden hit one wide. Their keeper made one good save in the second half from a header. Why was this the case? Because for the majority of the game, all we did was lump it to Ashford and their CBs won every header. Utterly soul destroying stuff.

I'll say it again - 4-4-2. We will go down without a fight otherwise. I'm dreading the next two games.

21 minutes ago, rb123! said:

It was the combined trio of McGinty, Baird and Muirhead at fault for the goal last night. 

Murdoch decided to go lone ranger on a press at their CB which left a gaping hole in the midfield which Baird went out to cover, Muirhead then failed to fully slot in alongside McGinty at CB to cover the gap left by Baird which resulted in Graham having a wide open lane to slot in to score. 

After watching the highlights which were better quality than the stream, we did look better at times however still had moments of vulnerability. Apart from the penalty shouts there were really only one chance in the game for either team and Partick scored there's meanwhile our's was fantastically saved. 

Houston didn’t cover across well either. 

33 minutes ago, rb123! said:

You're right in what you say but every goal that every team concedes will have reasons behind it and individual errors, that's just the reality of football I'm afraid and no team at any level is any different.

The thing we CAN do something to change however is our style of play, where we actually try and impose ourselves on the opposition, create opportunities to score ourselves and generally just cause problems for the opposition.

As you say, at least we weren't destroyed last night but I don't know if that's a good thing or not, as that may make up Bullens mind to try the exact same again in our "must win" game on Saturday, which I'd be very, very disappointed about if he does.

I think we could all see that both Rowe and McInroy improved us in the short time in which they were on, so I'm just hoping Bullen saw that as well, otherwise it could be another long day...

As I posted last night, Muirhead set the tone direct from kick off as he turned and punted the ball to about 15 yards from the bye line on Particks left side which nobody even seemed interested in chasing down, nor did we try and move upfield as a team, Instead we just sat back and let them come on to us for no apparent reason.

I also have a serious issue with our crossing, it really is horrendous and almost amateur level quality (in fact i'm sure many amateur footballers can cross a ball much much better).

It definitely looked much more promising when McInroy and Rowe appeared as Rowe looks to have pace, crossing ability and awareness which is way ahead of Houstons. As for McInroy, he immediately looked like a "natural" Midfielder and seemed to give us much more balance (all be it, too late) in the middle of the park.

The other thing I'd maybe look at is giving Paddy a spell out the team and playing Maxwell at LB, I do like Paddy Reading but he seems to have gone backwards recently and simply isn't playing well.

I think I'd try,

McAdams, Rowe, Maxwell, McGinty, Baird, Dempsey, Murdoch, McInroy, Ashford, Adeloye, O'Connor. 

If not working, take off one of Ashford / Adeloye and stick in McKenzie or Gondoh to sit a bit deeper or even Gondoh for O'Connor as probably interchangeable. Muirhead could also come in for McGinty or Baird if required.

God knows, we need to try something as every team in this league is beatable if we just gave it a bloody go !!!!

You can also not concede goals by retaining the ball and winning it higher up the pitch. We lose the ball quickly and our defence is on the back foot constantly, players get to the byline with relative ease. we are also dreadful to watch. 

Aye this

We simply do not keep possession and make the ball stick enough for us to be able to take the pressure off our defenders. Likewise the poor distribution and composure from our defenders and Muirhead contributes to this.

It doesn’t have to, if we get a bit of consistency going and work out a formula of getting the forward players to create more chances then we could pull ourselves away. Hamilton have turned defeats in to draws and are pulling away, Morton have a new manager bounce, Dunfermline and QOTS look like they are still as inconsistent as we are.

None of that will happen if we keep doing what we are doing though, dreadful to watch, dull football, and poor results.

for all the 4 goals conceded in 5 games chat, we have probably won 10 league games in about 2 years playing this way. That’s a hell of a turd to try and polish 

18 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Having Kilmarnock in the same division for the first time in 30 years has absolutely destroyed Ayr United.

On the third manager already and some people want a fourth.

You’ll never be as good as us again.

Licking Jackie Chan GIF

Don't talk pish.

We were shite last season as well.

And the season before that.

We didn't become shite for your benefit. Don't flatter yourselves.

Edited by Richey Edwards

22 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Having Kilmarnock in the same division for the first time in 30 years has absolutely destroyed Ayr United.

Licking Jackie Chan GIF

A

Thought you we be on your big cousins site,drooling over Ramsey

34 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Licking Jackie Chan GIF

But will you ever be as good as Ross County or Livingstone?

1 hour ago, Finlay21 said:

Think you could circle the other 2 there also in front of him who are both not picking anybody up and closer to the scorer 

Pretty sure that’s Cammy Smith’s chance in the first half, not the goal. It’s staggeringly bad positioning for a centre half.

2 minutes ago, super_carson said:

The goal was a well worked move by Partick to be fair, but it was facilitated by someone flying out of position and then not making the tackle or breaking play. I couldn't make out who it was on the stream though.

I think Baird slid in and deflected in to Grahams path but can't be 100% sure.